Cheap Mobile Contracts Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 8 February 2012 at 7:48PM
    Options
    Why are you asking in "Mobile Contracts" thread if you are using giffgaff?
    Generally, with your requirements you have to chose between Android, Windows Phone 7 and, possibly, Blackberry platforms first, then it will depend on how much you want to pay as prices for very decent phones start from about £100.
    Dual sim is probably the most challenging requirement: Any Dual Sim Card Phones?

Re the platforms see:
    Iphone 4S not impressed, other options?
    What phone to go for iPhone 4s , Android , Windows Phone or BlackBerry
  • katykitten
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Why are you asking in "Mobile Contracts" thread if you are using giffgaff?
    Generally, with your requirements you have to chose between Android, Windows Phone 7 and, possibly, Blackberry platforms first, then it will depend on how much you want to pay as prices for very decent phones start from about £100.
    Dual sim is probably the most challenging requirement: Any Dual Sim Card Phones?

Re the platforms see:
    Iphone 4S not impressed, other options?
    What phone to go for iPhone 4s , Android , Windows Phone or BlackBerry
    oops - anyway thanks for the info - can you tell me if i can use my giffgaff microsim (purchased especially for the iphone will work iin the samsung galaxy S11?
  • grumbler
    Options
    You'll need an adapter for a micro-sim (it's very very cheap) or a replacement normal size sim. Also, the new phone has to be either sim-free (unlocked) or locked to O2.
  • katykitten
    Options
    thanks, which is the best forum to ask about where to get a stand alone phone such as the nokia lumia or samsung galaxy II for the best price?
  • grumbler
    edited 8 February 2012 at 9:58PM
    Options
    Well, this is the right board, but a wrong thread.
    However, before asking other people to do a legwork for you, do some research yourself.
    Check http://www.hotukdeals.com/mobiles/deals/hot (search for 'galaxy' or 'lumia')
    Moneysupermarket
    omio
    mobilephonechecker
    Beware that PAYG phones can be cheaper than sim-free and that PAYG phones sold by CPW/e2save/osps/mobiles.co.uk and p4u/d-a-p are usually unlocked unless they explicitly say that the phone is locked (mainly to 'three').
  • katykitten
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    Well, this is the right forum, but a wrong thread.
    However, before asking other people to do a legwork for you, do some research yourself.
    Check http://www.hotukdeals.com/mobiles/deals/hot (search for 'galaxy' or 'lumia')
    Moneysupermarket
    omio
    mobilephonechecker
    Beware that PAYG phones can be cheaper than sim-free and that PAYG phones sold by CPW/e2save/osps/mobiles.co.uk and p4u/d-a-p are usually unlocked unless they explicitly say that the phone is locked (mainly to 'three').
    most people seem to share what they know willingly (including myself) i have done some research but there is nothing like asking people about their own experiences to gain insight into what may be a good deal-a pooling of information is what i though this site was about?
    thanks for the information above, its very helpful
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Sony Xperia range might fit the bill for smaller size than iPhone. If I had splashed the cash for a pay as you go iPhone, I would not find it cost effective to buy another PAYG phone, or seriously expect to be an happier with the usage of an Android. Android is a good platform for techies and bargain hunters, and Katy has already taken the depreciation on an iPhone. With enough apps on it, an iPhone can be made to do most things.
  • katykitten
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    The Sony Xperia range might fit the bill for smaller size than iPhone. If I had splashed the cash for a pay as you go iPhone, I would not find it cost effective to buy another PAYG phone, or seriously expect to be an happier with the usage of an Android. Android is a good platform for techies and bargain hunters, and Katy has already taken the depreciation on an iPhone. With enough apps on it, an iPhone can be made to do most things.
    got my iphone on ebay and its faulty - grrrrr so im getting a refund so this is an alternative - its really put me off tbh as the keyboard seemed to have a life of its own and the battery charge went down very fast. the lumia seems to fit the bill although i will look at the xperia, i really need something quickly with the option to use a micro sim as i use the phone for work and was off line for a day last week whilst my number was ported - the ebay seller (obviously a crook!) doesnt seem to care that ive paid over £14 in postal charges and lost business cos of his useless phone (sorry -rant over)
    anyway bidding on a lumia 800 - new in box on ebay right now so prob could be solved, thanks to you guys ive also found a lumia 750 possibility unlocked (new) with vodafone via hotdeals.com so should be sorted in next few days i hope
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It may be worth having the iPhone fixed, there is quite a market in backroom repair shops. Firstly, I would do a complete reset of the iPhone via iTunes. Or have one one of those market stalls that fixes mobiles look at it, these guys are much more knowledgeable than the big retailers.
  • zeddo
    Options
    I have recently swapped from tesco PAYG to giffgaff as i couldn't resist and bought myself an iphone 4s.

I use the £10 a month goodybag as i have a lot of data usage and on this tarriff it is unlimited, along with texts.

I have personally found them brilliant and got the link from someone else on an iphone 4s forum here, but the quality of service on my phone has been excellent and i am more than delighted with paying £10 a month. Good luck!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback