PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Super Scrimpers

Comments

• VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Toxoplasmosis :eek:!!!

It was a joke! Actually in reality you are much more likely to get toxoplasmosis from eating under cooked meat. It is endemic in France and this is because they eat undercooked meat.

As long as it wasn't salad you would be fine as you cook most other types of vegetables!
  • Hadley wrote: »
    I don't have a sandpit .The neighbours cats are always in our garden and the neighbours know this they just don't care after all the poo is in my garden not their's.My son has a right to cat poo free garden cat mess is very dangerous.The only other animals that come into my garden are birds who are then chased away by the cats.So I have no problem with any other animal either wild or domestic

What exactly do you want the neighbours to do. Smack their bottoms and tell them they are naughty cats and not to go into your garden again!
  • ljaybrad
    ljaybrad Posts: 869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The £50 meal thing reminded me why I was a little annoyed when Economy Gastronomy was on - it's easy for someone to cut back who spends silly amounts on food they don't really need especially if it's only for one week while the cameras are rolling but it is much harder to reduce grocery bills when you already shop and cook sensibly and to keep it up for week after week.

I found the Economy gastronony really useful - even got the book on the cheap. It tought me too cook fatastically and I use their mince and chicken recipes all the time!

I understand for those who already batch cook and such it can be hard to cut back further, and there are probably no shows about this because there is nothing anyone can do to reduce your costs further.
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
  • What exactly do you want the neighbours to do. Smack their bottoms and tell them they are naughty cats and not to go into your garden again!

haha...I have a problem with cats, I put netting on the soil so they can't scratch. But they are a nuisance and they keep the birds away and I live near a bird wildlife area!
    Apparently in Oz you're not allowed to let your cats out because small birds are protected
    GC - Oct £36.17/£31
    GC - Sep £35.56/£30:o
    GC - Aug £30.73/£31
    GC - Jul £30.80/£31
  • Was sitting watching it while DD15 was reading in the same room. When it got to the part about car insurance and the girl was saying she didn't think about how the type of car would affect her insurance "I just saw the car, liked it, so I bought it" I hear DD15 mutter 'idiot!' from behind her book. Not sure I like her choice of word but cheered to know at her age she knows better.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think the new series of SS is much better than the old one - my favourite part is always the top tips and the contributers seem a bit less eccentric than the last lot.

I know for us old-stylers it is preaching to the converted but I still enjoy watching it (especially as my DDs chorus "you do that mum!")

I found the sewing class very inspiring. It's ironic that homemade style soft furnishings are so fashionable now but a lot of people don't realise how easily that can actually be made at home! As one girl on the prog said, a cushion cover can easily cost £20 - often much more. The girls wouldn't have sewing machines at home but perhaps mum, gran or an auntie does.

Whether it's cooking, sewing, knitting, growing veg or any other old style skill I think it's important for people to realise they can just have a go. I grew up thinking these things were too hard for me to try but I have pleasantly surprised myself over the years!
    weaving through the chaos...
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    My DD (nearly 11) was watching this with me yesterday and she kept making comments about how I could do the stuff cheaper :rotfl: She wants to try the nail art out, but then she's only just discovered nail varnishes :eek: She actually surprised me with how frugal her thinking was, I didn't realise how much had sunk in over the years :D :j She's also informed me that I need to take her car shopping when she's passed her driving test, as she's asked her dad to give her lessons so I can pick the car because I'm more likely to make a sensible choice than him:rotfl::rotfl:
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    I have to say that I am very upset. At the end a man recommended putting carpet grippers on fences to stop thieves. Well what about cats. My cat had a really lacerated paw probably from some fool doing something like that. It wasn't exactly money saving for me.

Apart from anything else if a burglar did injure themselves they could find themselves with an injury claim. You'd think the producers would check out the advice before broadcasting it, wouldn't you?

Alan Titchmarsh show did a bit about garden security on Monday ( 33 mins in) and they suggested using prickle strips which are made of plastic so are not as painful.

example

http://www.foxolutions.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=12
  • Hadley
    Hadley Posts: 237 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2012 at 3:11PM
    What exactly do you want the neighbours to do. Smack their bottoms and tell them they are naughty cats and not to go into your garden again!
    I want them to keep them out of my garden but I know this will not happen.I think it is only fair that they should clean up after their pests I did not buy the cats so I should not have to look after them.If it were a dog the council would be able to do something about .I am just sick of cleaning up someone elses pets mess.I am also sick of cat owners who think they have all the rights in the world and people who don't like cleaning up cat crap have no rights .
    I just wish cat owners would understand how their pets can effect other people and stop being so selfish.I am a good neighbour and don't do anything that will effect them in any way shape or form.I only ask that they do the same.Can cat owner please try to see things from non cat owners point of view for a change.
    I am not a nasty person I just don't like cats in my garden I think I have a right to feel this way.I am also a veggie and have been since I was sixteen and I would never harm another living thing ever.
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    edited 26 January 2012 at 3:17PM
    Hadley wrote: »
    I want them to keep them out of my garden but I know this will not happen.I think it is only fair that they should clean up after their pests I did not buy the cats so I should not have to look after them.If it were a dog the council would be able to do something about .I am just sick of cleaning up someone elses pets mess.I am also sick of cat owners who think they have all the rights in the world and people who don't like cleaning up cat crap have no rights .
    I just wish cats would understand how their pets can effect other people and stop being so selfish.I am a good neighbour and don't do anything that will effect them in any way shape or form.I only ask that they do the same.Can cat owner please try to see things from non cat owners point of view for a change.
    I am not a nasty person I just don't like cats in my garden I think I have a right to feel this way.I am also a veggie and have been since I was sixteen and I would never harm another living thing ever.

I understand how you feel, even though I have been a cat owner for most of my life. The thing is how can an owner stop any cat from wandering, and would you want (strangers) people coming into your garden to clean up the mess? Cats travel a great distance so it is probably fair to say it is not only your immediate neighbour's cat.

Cats have no rights unlike dogs; they are seen as free roaming. They can't be trained or stopped from wandering. It would save a lot of heartache if they could as so many get killed on the roads.

I think most cat owners understand but can't do anything and we can get on the defensive. Of course, one answer is not to have a cat, but I can't see how that would be enforced. :(

Is there anything you could put down that was safe to deter them? It might be worth Googling. I do appreciate it's horrible cleaning up after someone else's pet. How high are your fences?

As for being a good neighbour, that is always relative in the scheme of things. Most people think they are but I had a terrible time with neighbours totally unrelated to cats.

I can see you are upset though and worried about your son. And it's understandable. Just not sure there is an answer.

edit to add; found this link on Google...definitely worth Googling.
    http://www.deteracat.co.uk/about_us.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport