mortgage ppi

Options
hi

ive had a letter back stating i had ppi but santander which was then abbey dont think it was missold. they have sent the paperwork , i had not signed it as i presume it was recommended over the phone, where do i got or what do i say from here plse x

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ive had a letter back stating i had ppi but santander which was then abbey dont think it was missold

Not a surprise. Most MPPI complaints are rejected by firms and the FOS. Whilst it can be mis-sold (as can any product) it suffers less issues than loan or credit card PPI and is considered more important than these. Today, it is one of only two types of PPI still retailed.
    i had not signed it as i presume it was recommended over the phone

Possibly but general insurance hasnt required signatures for over a decade.
    where do i got or what do i say from here plse x

You need to tell us what your complaint was and what the reasons for rejection are for us to give you any opinion on whether the response is fair or not.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • darby33
    Options
    its just a general query as to whether i can claim back ppi from a mortgage , as i dont believe i would have agreed to it in the first place, i just wandered if the ombusdman would be of any use
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    its just a general query as to whether i can claim back ppi from a mortgage , as i dont believe i would have agreed to it in the first place, i just wandered if the ombusdman would be of any use

You cant just get your premiums back. That isnt how it works. You are making allegation of wrongdoing. Santander have investigated and have found no wrongdoing. So, what evidence so you have that it was wrong?
    i dont believe i would have agreed to it in the first place

Yet you have paid it every month for over a decade and never raised it before?
    i just wandered if the ombusdman would be of any use

Your complaint seems very weak. Its an unprovable allegation. If it was a few months after you started paying it then your complaint would be credible. Even if evidence did not exist. However, when are you talking over a decade of monthly payments, that loses a lot of credibility.

In complaints like this, the firm has to then consider whether the product was suitable. i.e. did you have a need for it (you had a mortgage and MPPI goes with that, so it fits in there), whether you eligible for cover (i.e. you were working more than 16 hours a week) and whether it would pay out (i.e. you had no serious pre-existing conditions). if it finds no issues there then it will reject your complaint.

The FOS will apply the same principle although they may come to a different conclusion. However, you do not just get your money back because you have the product.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure