PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Haggling.

13»

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    SailorSam wrote: »
    It's funny isn't it, if you're on holiday it's almost mandatory to haggle, but not here. I think i'm to shy and timid. When i went to buy my last car i took an ex-car salesman with me to check it out. I was open-mouthed watching him, he made it look so easy, and the young kid of a salesman didn't stand a chance against him.

I don't think I've ever haggled on holiday apart from at the occasional vide grenier.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 October 2016 at 6:38PM
    Caterina wrote: »
    Your implication that asking is impolite is quite rude in itself; if you think about it, there is a number of people on this forum who are saying they DO, or intend to try, to haggle, and it is not right to bunch us all as impolite, just because you choose not to.

This has always been a forum full of tolerance and I am saddened to read your comment.

We all have differnt standards in terms of manners - for me it would be rude.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    katkin wrote: »
    Can't imagine you can haggle at a supermarket check out :D

The seller needs some authority or leeway to negotiate. A lot of things you buy via a call centres can offer discounts or extras if you ask, as can sole-traders, owners etc

I enjoyed countries like Morocco as nearly everything is haggled. Though it took a lot longer to buy anything. Still it was fun on holiday, maybe not so much for day-to-day essentials.

Bottle of shampoo - I've give you 20p, no madam it's 90p, not worth it to me what about 40p, madam I have a family, a living to make, no lower than 80p, too much for me it's not worth it, 60p my final offer...walks away, oh but this bottle will make your hair so glossy, it's the best 75p and it's yours. Brings 70p out of purse, that is all I have. Ok deal!

Never at the checkout, Katkin, as they have no power to do anything! But possible to haggle about, say, cereals in a bashed up box, or pack of eggs with a broken one, something with visual defects but that does not affect the quality of the product. Quietly and politely with the supermarket managers, you can recognise them because they are usually dressed in civilian clothes but have a name badge, or even the assistants at the customer service desk.

I have got some remarkable successes at the W8rose deli counter, where they tend to reduce the goods in the evening. I have often asked if I could have a further reduction if I take the whole lot (of olives, or cheese) if it was not too perishable. On most occasions I have got super amazing prices!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    I bought a few metres of fabric from local market a couple of weeks ago and the seller asked if I wanted the extra bit on the end of the roll, about half a yard or so. I didnt but did go back the following day to buy a few more metres in a different colour and reminded her I had bought some the previous day and liked it so much i was back for more. Again she offered me the two roll ends about half a metre each and she was about to charge me so i said, could you just throw those two pieces in? No, she said, I cant.
    So, even on local market it doesnt necessarily work.
  • Antique shops, art galleries, second-hand book shops - because something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. I also haggle at car boot sales, antique fairs and such like. And if I'm buying more than the normal quantity of something, I'll give it a go - I was buying 5 birthday cards, asked for a discount for bulk buying, and got the 5th one free!! I got wood flooring for about 1/2 price because they let it slip that it was the end of the line - I offered to take everything they had, pointing out that they'd struggle to sell what was left and I was saving them the hassle of storing it.

I also haggle with tradesmen (careful here - they're just trying to make a living) - I'll say something like 'I was hoping to get it all done for under £1000' or whatever, and see what the reaction is.

Do it with a smile, but do it seriously - don't sound as if you're just taking the proverbial. And of course, if you make an offer and it's accepted, you have to pay up.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Sometimes I do. I got our kitchen tiles with a discount by asking nicely. The chair I'm sitting on, Ercol swivel, was in a sale in a private shop, so I did ask then if there was a chance of a discount. I got it rounded down to £800. Still blooming expensive though.

We recently asked if there was a best price on an oak bookcase which was in a sale. It's a place from which we've bought quite a few times and again it was rounded down. Still thinking about it or a small dresser instead.

The tile place was one we used, too, so I think owners are happy with repeat business.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • I recently got 10% off three rooms off floor tile by asking. I've done business before there and will again as I feel I have been treated well. Stores want to sell their merchandise and want you to come back.

In some foreign countries haggling happens and is expected in the tourist areas. But in places like grocery stores or pharmacies I usually try to have someone local buy, unless the price is marked, as it's quite common to raise prices just because you are foreign and you would not know it's being done.

You can look up car markups on line, both new and used. Be prepared when you walk in the door, before you fall in love with a car. Car salespeople depend on customer emotions to get the best commission that they can. (I used to sell cars) Buying a car is stressful for most people because it's a large monetary investment. That, coupled with finding something you really like (excitement) can lead to paying more than you should. Do your homework and shop around.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I ask for discount for white goods, furniture, high value items all the time. And always insist on free delivery

Just this week I got £600 off a second hand car, and a new set of tyres thrown in as well

Independents are worth the haggle. Usually the owner is around and they are the ones who can authorise a deal.

I shop for electricals in a local independent even though currys are cheaper. I shop there because they know me by name, they have the items in stock and because I'm a loyal customer I don't even have to ask for discount,it's automatic and goods are deliver same day, FOC
  • Hiya

I have a friend who was an antique dealer who cordially hates the tv antique programmes - folks come in and assume that they can make the same kind of deals, and my friend simply can't - its not a question of greed or of what she buys things for its a question of: the tax man; the rent for her shop; the hours she spends sourcing her stuff; the petrol and time she spends transporting stuff; her accountant's fees; her occasional assistant's wages etc etc!!

Haggling can be polite - greeting refusal with a grin and saying 'ah well can't blame me for trying' is fine but belligerent folks or loud voiced or shouting at the traders I feel is not on. :)

Another point to make is that the small trader may do deals but at what price to his/her business?

And last but not least - if you are going to haggle (and yes, I do!) please do so courteously - and with the person who actually has the power to authorize reductions/discounts/refunds, please. :D During my working life I have been on the receiving end of too many rude folk expecting me to be able to do things I was not allowed to do.
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure