Bank statement as proof of purchase

Comments

• OlliesDad
    OlliesDad Posts: 1,825 Forumite
    If a consumer produces a bank statement as proof of purchase, it is up to the retailer to prove that this purchase was not for the item in question.

In small claims court any decisions are made based on probability. If the retailer is refusing to show the records for that transaction, it will look very unfavourable towards them.
  • Sales of Good Act 1979 covers you if its faulty.
    If its not faulty then the following applies.........
    If you have no receipt....
    However, if you don't have the receipt, you must still be able to prove you have a claim against the store (if it doesn't just take your word that you had bought the item there).
    Other forms of proof

You could use a credit card slip or even an entry on your bank statement to show you bought an item from the store.
    However, this may not confirm exactly what you bought – if the store sells a number of items at that price, the store might make it difficult for you to return the item.
    If you buy something reasonably expensive, it's always worth hanging on to the receipt for a bit.
  • Anihilator
    Anihilator Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    As said a statement can be proof of purchase. It isnt always proof of purchase.
    It is for you to provide this. Tesco don't need to help you prove the purchase.

If the item is £29.99 and the statement has £100 on it Tesco are reasonable to decline it.

Its also worth saying whilst they will keep records it may not always be easily accessible.
  • The answer to this depends on her reasons for returning it:

Fault = No problem to legally get a refund. (Though Tesco will make it hard)
    Did not like it anymore = Less easier but still ways around it.

So will await the reason for returning :)
  • JamieT1977 wrote: »
    What was the reason for you wanting to return it?

Was returning an iron due to being faulty, was under £30 when I bought it got 7-8 months use out of it, hence why I never really argued. Will try and call there customer service and see where I get, as if they can trace the sale... I expect them to ;)
  • In that case no receipt is required under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

Also qoute them their own returns policy.......

"Electrical, Mobile Phones & Furniture

Tesco guarantees all its electrical, mobile phones and furniture products for one year."
  • if they fail to co-operate after being reminded of that
    Quote them again.......

Electrical

Electrical Helpline 0845 456 6767, Monday to Saturday 9am to 8pm and Sunday 11am to 5pm.

If you have any problem setting up or using your electrical product, please call the Electrical Helpline for help and advice.

Tesco guarantees all its electrical products for one year. If your product develops a fault please call our helpline. If we cannot immediately resolve the issue over the phone, we will arrange a prompt repair. If a repair is not possible, a replacement or refund will be offered. Small domestic appliances or DIY products may be returned without calling the helpline first
  • I have just tried to take my faulty kettle back to Asda. It cuts out half way through and does not boil. I brought it about 6 months ago and they are still selling the same model on their shelves. The lady at customer services was very rude and said she could not do anything as I did not have my receipt. I did not want a refund just to exchange for a new kettle the same model. Do I have any rights as surely a kettle should last longer than 6 months? And no I don't have the receipt - I brought the kettle along with my weekly shop and must have thrown the receipt away. I do not have the packaging either! Is there anything I can do as im loathe to buy a new one! It is an Asda own brand kettle as well.
    MFW 2011 challenge - Aim: Overpay £414.26 a month/£5,000 a year. Overpayment Total to date: £414.26:jMortgage start 28/9/07 £46,217.00 :TMortgage balance as of 25/05/11 £24,490.58 :T
    Interest saved as of 25/05/11: £2,849.84 Projected term reduction as of 25/05/11: 9 years 11 months
  • I have just tried to take my faulty kettle back to Asda. It cuts out half way through and does not boil. I brought it about 6 months ago and they are still selling the same model on their shelves. The lady at customer services was very rude and said she could not do anything as I did not have my receipt. I did not want a refund just to exchange for a new kettle the same model. Do I have any rights as surely a kettle should last longer than 6 months? And no I don't have the receipt - I brought the kettle along with my weekly shop and must have thrown the receipt away. I do not have the packaging either! Is there anything I can do as im loathe to buy a new one! It is an Asda own brand kettle as well.

Asda also guarantee all electrical products for 12 months, so as above amend tesco for asda lol
  • A bank statement may not be proof of purchase but it is evidence of purchase.

Did you use your Clubcard? In which case the purchase will be traceable to you.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure