Not going to a wedding after rsvp?

Hi guys, I am facing a dilemma here - would really appreciate your opinions.

Someone I worked with a year ago is planning their wedding abroad (next month). We used to be quite close when we worked together and I told them that I would come to the wedding if they invited me (this was a year ago).

But since I left that job we started growing apart, not meeting or texting that often, seems we no longer have many things in common. Also, me and OH are in process of buying our first house and we feel that spending over £1000 to go to that wedding is a really big expense for us at this point of life.

I am considering of contacting them to apologize and explain that we will not be able to make it.... is this really bad from my side? :( I feel rubbish, but the money is tight :(

Comments

• How close the wedding is it?

Bear in mind that if it's close then whoever is paying for the wedding will have already paid for your meals and unless they can invite 2 other people without appearing as if they are second best 2 meals will go to waste
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If it's going to cost you over £1000 to go, I would get in touch and apologise that you can't go, then offer to cover the cost of your meals. They may not accept your offer but you could give them a cash wedding gift anyway. If you've grown apart, they will know it too and may well be relieved that you've been honest and they can either invite somebody else or (possibly) save the money. If it wasn't going to cost you much to go, I'd just say to go, but even with giving them a generous gift you will still save loads so I'd say it's worth it.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Have you actually had a proper invite and replied rather than just saying a year ago that you would go?
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Thank you all for your replies.

The wedding is in about 8 weeks so it wouldn't be a last minute reply.

They gave a paper invite and straight away assumed that we would attend (as I have previously said that we would). But I haven't properly rsvp.

Honestly if we were still really close, I could probably find the money to attend. But now our relationship is not as it was and I am very reluctant to spendso much to attend.

We will send a oresent either way, cash if it's more appropriate?
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    It is still not clear as to whether you have RSVPd already, or not.

If not, and there is a cut off date for reply that has not happened yet, then of course you can politely decline.

Make the best decision for yourself. The wedding party will be happy that you have said you cannot go, so they can re allocate the invite, or just cancel it themselves.

Weddings invites are full of those who cannot or will not attend. Important that plenty of notice given!

Do not worry about the bride/groom feelings. They have enough to think about. But a pressie is a nice compromise. They will understand. If they don't..... well I wouldn't be going if that was the case anyway!

Best of luck
  • Woodyrocks
    Woodyrocks Posts: 1,913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think you should just let the person know that you won't be attending. You don't want to go and no-one wants a person at their wedding that doesn't want to be there. As Rach said, the other person will realise that you are no longer close and might just want to limit it to really close friends and family.

I received an invite last Thursday from someone at work for their Autumn wedding abroad. I can't go as 1) I can't afford it 2) I don't really know the person that well and would feel like a 'random' if I attended. However, I do like the person and will happily get them a wedding gift.
    DEBT FREE AND LOVING LIFE
  • Torry_Quine
    Thank you all for your replies.

The wedding is in about 8 weeks so it wouldn't be a last minute reply.

They gave a paper invite and straight away assumed that we would attend (as I have previously said that we would). But I haven't properly rsvp.

Honestly if we were still really close, I could probably find the money to attend. But now our relationship is not as it was and I am very reluctant to spendso much to attend.

We will send a oresent either way, cash if it's more appropriate?

As you haven't replied yet then I don't see a problem with sending a sorry we are unable to attend card.. Surely they will not be surprised as you aren't close now,

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
  • Thanks guys, it is really helpful to hear your opinions on this.

I haven't rsvpd in writing, it was sort of assumed that we will attend based on what I said while we worked together.

I guess it makes sense - I don't feel that close to them anymore and they probably feel the same about me.

I just checked their wedding invite and they wanted rsvps by February this year... so I am late to rsvp just by sending a card.... I guess I'll get in touch and explain that we won't be able to attend. Will follow up with a nice gift later
  • Torry_Quine
    Thanks guys, it is really helpful to hear your opinions on this.

I haven't rsvpd in writing, it was sort of assumed that we will attend based on what I said while we worked together.

I guess it makes sense - I don't feel that close to them anymore and they probably feel the same about me.

I just checked their wedding invite and they wanted rsvps by February this year... so I am late to rsvp just by sending a card.... I guess I'll get in touch and explain that we won't be able to attend. Will follow up with a nice gift later

As you didn't officially accept by February ( which was ridiculously early) will they still be expecting you anyway?.

• Yes, they will be expecting us even though we didn't rsvp in writing... it was always assumed that we will attend. Also I spoke to them a couple of times since we received the formal invite and it was clear that they expect us there.. They asked which days we are planning to stay in the hotel as they can arrange a discount. I told them provisional dates, but made it clear that these are provisional
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure