PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Daily Wednesday 5th December 2012

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Morning all,

Ive a lot to be thankful today. Though its cold in the West Midlands my husband is working in snow. Good job i packed his thermals the weekend.:D

Thanks for the support from you all regarding Auntie. I went as promised and was I'm glad i did.

Auntie is one of the most selfless of people i know (my Father was another - he was peeling my oranges for me until he died when i was 18 though i didnt realize how much he hated peeling them like i did).

The house was spotless. I was let in by her carer. Auntie couldnt hear me as her tv was up too loud. Apparently when her friend and carer went into hospital her son took it upon himself to give the house a damn good clean (it needed it). He's arranged carers to go in twice a day (he goes in on an evening so she doesnt need care at night). He has taken on the duties of a loving and caring son and i have nothing to worry about where her care is concerned. Its strange how things have worked out because they fight like cat and dog!

Auntie has told her son that she is leaving the option of going into a home to him. She obviously wants to keep the house because she wants him to have it when she dies but she knows when all is said and done she will be a burden on him until she dies.

Her mobility is still a problem and it wont be getting better anytime soon, health is not good either but she was lucid and in the best of spirits.

I spent most of the afternoon with her, did a few jobs for her (mainly personal stuff that she doesnt want her son to do/see).

I left her house feeling happy and content that she is in the best of hands. I shall see her on a regular basis, but am happy her needs are being met.

Its such a relief i can tell you.

Daughter came round last night. Not in the best of moods either. She's so much like her Dad. When she's got 'one on her' the whole world can tell.

Usual Wednesday jobs today. Vacuuming throughout and such like. Need to sort out some baby photos for my eldest son sometime too but that can wait.

Have a good day all.
  • bargainbird
    bargainbird Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    Judi - So glad you've nothing to worry about, my old lady is 92 she has a daughter who dosen't talk to her and a son in oz, i go on a friday and she has someelse do her shopping, she dosen't like homehelp ladies but has 1 once a week. she does her own meals/drinks etc. she too feels that she cannot go into a home as she will waste her money that could go to her son...
    You know your getting old when you
    go to the pub sit outside
    and admire the hanging basket :cool:
    Is officially 48% tight :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Judi - So glad you've nothing to worry about, my old lady is 92 she has a daughter who dosen't talk to her and a son in oz, i go on a friday and she has someelse do her shopping, she dosen't like homehelp ladies but has 1 once a week. she does her own meals/drinks etc. she too feels that she cannot go into a home as she will waste her money that could go to her son...

Personally, i'd rather use my savings than become a burden on any of my family.
  • bargainbird
    bargainbird Posts: 3,771 Forumite
    me too......when i see how she struggles....i'd much rather sit back and enjoy being waited on .....I'll meet you there Judi:D
    You know your getting old when you
    go to the pub sit outside
    and admire the hanging basket :cool:
    Is officially 48% tight :D
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2012 at 10:28AM
    Morning All!
    :snow_laug Snowing here, but not laying!

Going to my cousin today for roast pork lunch.:T

Had M & S Macaroni cheese last night. Very nice, loads of sauce!:rotfl:

Topsy Well done!:T

Did quite a lot for me yesterday. 2 loads of washing, ironing, sorted freezer and fridge. Stripped two beds (Couldm't re--make them tho!:rotfl:)

Judi My Dad is in a nursing home due to various things. I had to sell his property and have so far spent £62,000 on his care in two years! We have finally got the NHS to agree to pay for him as of next year, but my point is that we are not entitled to want an inheritance. My Mamma and Dad worked hard for years, and if Dad can be looked after properly, I don't care about the money. It's his after all! Still this is just my opinion.

Keep warm and have a good day.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Morning All! Roads around quite nasty first thing - we can always tell by watching the car lights as they go up/down the hill nearby!
    I took the dogs out around the field, it was really lovely in the snow today. Got home and decided I'd better clear the driveway as getting our cars in/out can be interesting. DH took a pic to prove I was doing it! Cheeky s@d!
    He had the beginning of the second chemo cycle at the hospital yesterday and came home with the other chemo drug in a pump which will be finished by tomorrow afternoon, so we have to go back then to have it removed and the line flushed out. Hopefully driving will be OK by then as it was one of the things I was very relieved to give up when I retired - snow is lovely if you don't need to travel! I'm now sleeping in the spare room as I have a nasty cold/cough. Apparently germs stay on soft surfaces for 24hours! I'm getting paranoid about DH getting any sort of infection...
    Bread is baking nicely today so house smells lovely! Not too much HW going on tho'. have just been checking the labels for the Christmas cards, which I'd like sent soon - rather folks know about DH before they send their cards IYSWIM.
    Have a funeral to attend this afternoon, and a PCC meeting this evening. Think I'll be getting more exercise and walking!
    Hope you are all managing to stay warm at least. Do take care!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Judi wrote: »
    I left her house feeling happy and content that she is in the best of hands. I shall see her on a regular basis, but am happy her needs are being met.
    Excellent news!:T Thanks for clarifying re your meds - I'm sure I read your post from 28th Nov, but as it's a week ago, my brain doesn't retain information for that long!:o I'd say the problem is likely with the pharmacy - I've had wrong meds given to me before now; once they gave me capsules, when the script clearly said tablets (I can't have anything with gelatine in it) and one glorious time, back in the days when I was still taking co-codamol, they gave me the 8/500 tablets (that's 8 mg codeine + 500 mg paracetomol) instead of the 30/500 tablets that were on the script.:eek::eek::eek: I'd have laughed, except that the 8/500 wouldn't have even touched the pain! Now I check the contents of the package before I even leave the pharmacy, and if possible, I go when a particular pharmacist is on duty, as she knows me, knows what I have, and is efficient in what she does. You wouldn't believe the trouble I have getting hold of moclobemide when anyone else is dispensing!:cool:

I can't hang around today - Mr LW has a day's Annual Leave as it's his birthday. No "bought" pressies, just the MSE variety *waves to Hester*;), and we've just made some sultana and spice cakes for his lunchbox; he's currently playing "Conflict: Desert Storm" on the PS2 while I do a quick check of my emails, so I must go and do that now.;)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Afternoon All
    I tried to post yesterday but the internet went down again :(
    In my calendar yesterday was a sleigh and today a choo choo
    animated-smileys-weather-030.gifWe had a lot of snow in the early hours and DH said it was still snowing when he went to work.
    He was late home because the traffic lights failed all over town and the traffic was atrocious, luckily he doesn't have to go near town to get home because all the M1 traffic had jumped off the motorway and were using the town as a bypass as usual :mad: But it still took him 45 minutes to do a 5 minute journey :eek:
    The snow is still on the ground and unless it warms up considerably, I think it will stay all day. The temperature is set to plummet to -8 around here tonight :eek:

Topsy I was so pleased to hear that you got the job :T

Happy birthday Mr Wolfie animated-smileys-birthday-015.gif

Dinner today is bacon roly poly done in the oven, because I found a non de-script bag full of bacon in the freezer that has been in there for a year, so I decided to use it.

BFN x
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Thanks for those who've followed me on Twitter - I will have to start to tweet now!!

No snow on my bit of the Lancashire coast, bright & sunny at the moment although I'm sure that will change!

:grouphug: to those who'd like one

Floss x
  • RosyRed
    RosyRed Posts: 3,063
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds like a good few of you have snow,do take care.Its a lovely day here but bloomin cold bbrrrr.
    Must finish writing the cards soon and get them posted-had our first ,from friends in Australia.
    I've got pork casserole in the slow cooker for tea,but doubt DS1 will have that -he's not keen on pork so he'll sort himself out,and DS will be out tonight.

Camelot-enjoy tonight,we saw them in Manchester a couple of years ago,they were great.
    Anyway,must finish clearing my worktop in the kitchen,its full of clutter:o
    xx
    :heartsmil 'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure