Are the Halifax dragging this out too long??

Hello folks!
I had a mortgage with the Halifax Building Society a while back now , (from 1983 till about 1996) which did include PPI , ultimately I sold the house and paid of the mortgage and mostly forgot all about it.
Recently though I used the online 'Resolver' tool to try and claim something back ... The Halifax got back to me (via text) with the following ...

My initial query ... 17 March 2017

1st reply ... 20 March 2017
Dear Mr xxxxx, thank you for your PPI complaint. We'll communicate with you via SMS during the course of your complaint. We'll never link SMS to to your Internet Banking Log On page OR ask for account details via SMS. Text ENDPPI to 62229 to opt out of further PPI SMS.

2nd reply ... 13 April 2017
Mr xxxx , we're nearing the end of our investigation into PPI complaint PPIxxxxxxxx so our response will be sent to you soon. No action is required by you at this time. Thank you for your continued patience.

Sadly I've heard nothing since, which is now over 3 months! My question is, is this about normal or am I being strung along here??

Many thanks for any advice ... much appreciated!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It would be odd for them to string you along, as it costs them more.

So no.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    PPI was barely available in 1983. Are you sure you had PPI?

More common was the life assurance requirement and most people had life assurance. Could it have been that?

It is no surprise this is taking them time to look at. You 're talking about 34 years ago. That predates the regulation of insurance by 22 years and the regulation of financial services in general by 15 years. Plus, most building societies of that era did not retail their own brand insurance products back then. They frequently used local brokers (who would often pop into their branches and see customers in a clinic/appointment basis).

So, your complaint is a very unusual one and I can imagine they are struggling to locate anything to support that you even had the product or not. Of course, you could speed this up by providing them details of the insurance policy you paid.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Pikeyp
    Pikeyp Posts: 494
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks zx81 and dunstonh ... good points there!

There was certainly some sort of insurance with it covering mortgage payments because I tried to claim after I got made redundant from work, sadly I missed a 'deadline' of some sort and my claim was refused so I cut loose and sold the house! As you say it was 30 odd years ago ...

I'll keep waiting ... I'm not expecting much anyway ...

Thanks for replying folks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport