IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Are the number of court cases tailing off?

Options

Comments

• Edna_Basher
    Edna_Basher Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't forget that the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 covers many things and is not just about parking on private land.

As Home Secretary, Theresa May was indeed one of the Act's sponsors.

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2010-12/protectionoffreedoms.html
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't forget that the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 covers many things and is not just about parking on private land.

As Home Secretary, Theresa May was indeed one of the Act's sponsors.

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2010-12/protectionoffreedoms.html

Theresa May was not respected as Home Secretary then, nothing has changed
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    29/06/17

33/4.

The 33 cases include 3 x 'Post Set Asides' (presumably the PPC pursuing the motorist for the PCN after the original Set Aside?).
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • hoohoo
    hoohoo Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like they are tailing off
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
  • Umkomaas
    edited 5 July 2017 at 12:39PM
    Options
    05/07/17

28 cases today including 1 counterclaim and 4 set-asides.

More and more cases are coming to the forums for advice on default CCJs and how to set them aside. That situation seems to be getting worse.

Millennium still at full throttle. India Beavan must be spending more time at the County Court than at her desk!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• Umkomaas
    Options
    06/07/17

20/5.

Also included 3 'Appeals' (in South Wales) v Indigo - I wonder if these are connected with the hospital cases Indigo are pursuing?

• bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    06/07/17

20/5.

Also included 3 'Appeals' (in South Wales) v Indigo - I wonder if these are connected with the hospital cases Indigo are pursuing?

This is actually a single appeal, involving the three 'lead cases' which were selected by DJ Coates as being binding on the other 96.

The appeal concerned allocation to track. DJ Coates' directions said that, as each individual case is for a relatively small amount of money, the whole thing should remain on the small claims track, even though it is listed for a 3-day hearing next week.

Indigo, via WH, appealed against the order, stating that as the combined value of the claims was around £29,000, it should go on the multi-track. They also filed a costs schedule for today's hearing, amounting to some £8,000.

HHJ Vosper dismissed their appeal, with no order as to costs. So the substantive hearing of the test cases goes ahead, starting next Wednesday.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Are these 96 cases all hospital or Bye-Laws? If they lose, will it cost them about £100 per claim? If so, will it make them less trigger happy I wonder. Will it convince Hospital Trusts that they are scammers?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    Are these 96 cases all hospital or Bye-Laws? If they lose, will it cost them about £100 per claim? If so, will it make them less trigger happy I wonder. Will it convince Hospital Trusts that they are scammers?

They are all hospital staff, mainly nurses, midwives etc.

This is the only Trust in Wales which still charges for parking. The Trust, to their shame, have been supporting Indigo all the way through this saga, and are sending a senior manager as a witness for next week's hearing.

It will cost them considerably more than £9,600 if they lose. The barrister's fees alone will come to more than that, and there are implications for their business model going forward.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure