How to help a friend in this situation? Soon to be Redundant but applying internally

Options
Hello all,

A good friend of mine is in a tough situation where their role has been made redundant and will be leaving the company in a month.

The company has offered him a voluntary redundancy package worth 1 month salary even though he has been at the company for less than 2 years.

At the same time they are applying for another role internally within the same company.

The company is going through a difficult period and half of his colleagues in the same team left (resigned or redundant).

The friend says it's a good company that might come through this difficult period, but the friend is a little demoralised with the situation.

What is a good advice in this situation?

I thought he should apply for the other role, and if he gets it then great and see how they find it. If the company still does not improve they can resign by finding another role.

Comments

• IanSt
    IanSt Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    If it were me then my response would depend on how easy I felt it was to find a new job outside the company.

If easy then I'd be tempted to take the money and get started on the job hunt for a hopefully more secure position.

If not easy then I'd be more inclined to seek to get the internal job but still look for an external position. Then if I got the internal position I'd still look externally and compare anything found with the new job and how I felt it was going.

The second is the safer path and is along the same lines as your advice.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Which thread do you want us to reply to?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5732308
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport