Claiming Ppi

Hi, can anyone tell me how you go about claiming back PPI from Bristol and West?
Years ago I remortgaged through a broker and had to agree to having ppi to secure the mortgage.
The Bank of Ireland took over all Bristol and west finances approx 2007 and just wondered where to start?
Thanks

Comments

• You'd start by complaining to the broker who sold you it.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi, can anyone tell me how you go about claiming back PPI from Bristol and West?
    You don't. Bristol and West didnt sell you any PPI. So, you cannot go claiming back PPI from them.
    Years ago I remortgaged through a broker and had to agree to having ppi to secure the mortgage.

Brokers are allowed to insist on the purchase of insurance to provide free mortgage advice. The requirement is that the insurance should be suitable. Most MPPi is deemed suitable.

How many years ago? Most mortgage brokers only became regulated for insurance in January 2005. So, if the sale took place after that, you are free to make your complaint. If it took place before that, then it is a pre-regulation sale and the broker won't have to consider your complaint (you dont get access to the FOS either).

Why do you think you were missold? (this is important as the uphold rate on mortgage brokers is very small. PPI is not generally seen as a problem for advisers/brokers other than single premium MPPI).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure