Giving lifts to work - punctuality

Options
My OH arranged to give a colleague a lift to work today (the colleague actually asked my OH if it would be OK), and my OH stressed that she would be leaving the house at 7.15 sharp, whether she was there or not.
My OH waited until 7.20 then left for work, and the colleague did not phone or turn up.
Why are people so unreliable when others try to help them?
A couple of years ago at another firm, my OH started to give a lft to one of her colleagues, and that person got progressively later each day, until my wife was 30 minutes late for work on the Friday and was given a talking to by her manager.
On the Monday my OH left bang on time, the colleague turned up late to find my OH had gone, and then threw a strop when she eventually got to work (her husband had to take her).
Is it worth trying to help people when they do not have any consideration?

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    It is easier to just stick to the deal unless you want to change it.

Don't create thing in your life that bother you.

"if your there by 7:15(by my watch do you want to sync?) you can have a lift"

I would not let the, did not turn up, did not call, bother me.
    7:15 I am gone.

Now if they turned up a 6:30 and expected a coffee/breakfast while waiting then that would annoy me.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I've only once got involved in a car-share scheme, rather than me always giving another person a lift, and it quickly drove me nuts. The one person was always late picking up when he was the driver, and was never ready to leave on time either. Always "I just want to finish....." and we'd all be hanging around for up to half an hour. The share lasted about 6 weeks before I said I'd make my own way.
    Simple fact is some people are selfish and the only thing that matters is their convenience.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    She gave me a ring from work, and said the other person hasn't tried calling her. I am off out soon, and nobody turned up after she left, so unless the other person had a genuine reason, then that is a pretty poor show. My OH starts work 15 minutes before the other person and has to clock on, and they are pretty strict on the rules.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't pick them up from their house ... pick them up from their nearest bus stop. If they're not there you keep driving.
    That depersonalises it and puts the onus on them to be on time. If you're close to somebody's house/in their road it can be more awkward if you don't wait for them to shuffle out late.
  • andygb
    Options
    Don't pick them up from their house ... pick them up from their nearest bus stop. If they're not there you keep driving.
    That depersonalises it and puts the onus on them to be on time. If you're close to somebody's house/in their road it can be more awkward if you don't wait for them to shuffle out late.

They were supposed to come to our house (the OH of the colleague was supposed to drop her here), which is very easy to find and only five miles away from the colleague. It is on the route to work, which means my OH doesn't have to put herself out in any way.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'm not seeing the problem. Your OH, very sensibly, said that she'd be leaving at 7.15am sharp whether colleague was there or not. She left at 7.20am pretty much as promised (it was her choice to give the colleague another five minutes, and she could have left five minutes late because she couldn't find her keys). The colleague hasn't complained yet and if they do they have nothing to complain about. What's the issue?

Maybe they got their OH to drive them all the way when they realised they weren't going to make it for 7.15. And assumed that as they'd already agreed that if they weren't there for 7.15 your wife would drive off, there was no need to inform her. Inconsiderate, but not unusually so.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Some people are very laid back! I see the problem and I'd be a bit cross. It's not just inconsiderate. If you say you're going to be at someone's house for a lift it's basic manners* to let them know if you're not going to make it, have made other arrangements etc.

* really really basic
  • andygb
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    I'm not seeing the problem. Your OH, very sensibly, said that she'd be leaving at 7.15am sharp whether colleague was there or not. She left at 7.20am pretty much as promised (it was her choice to give the colleague another five minutes, and she could have left five minutes late because she couldn't find her keys). The colleague hasn't complained yet and if they do they have nothing to complain about. What's the issue?

Maybe they got their OH to drive them all the way when they realised they weren't going to make it for 7.15. And assumed that as they'd already agreed that if they weren't there for 7.15 your wife would drive off, there was no need to inform her. Inconsiderate, but not unusually so.

The colleague turned up at work at her time (15 minutes after my OH's start time) and didn't say anything until approached by my OH. She then stated that her boyfriend said he would drive her in, didn't apologise for not letting my OH know.
    This was the first and last time she will be getting the offer of a lift.
    The fact that you do not see a problem with it, speaks volumes about your attitude.
  • andygb
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    Some people are very laid back! I see the problem and I'd be a bit cross. It's not just inconsiderate. If you say you're going to be at someone's house for a lift it's basic manners* to let them know if you're not going to make it, have made other arrangements etc.

* really really basic

Exactly. Is it really that difficult nowadays to show a bit of consideration towards others?
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    The colleague turned up at work at her time (15 minutes after my OH's start time) and didn't say anything until approached by my OH. She then stated that her boyfriend said he would drive her in, didn't apologise for not letting my OH know.
    This was the first and last time she will be getting the offer of a lift.
    The fact that you do not see a problem with it, speaks volumes about your attitude.

It's a bit irritating, but not something I'd think was worth sharing with strangers. If I posted on websites every time anyone I know does anything slightly annoying I would never be offline.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure