It's my fault, so it's my responsibility. Time to take it.

Comments

• ab_saver wrote: »
    Wow - amazing. Well done you! :T

Thanks ab_saver!

It's a nice feeling. I deliberately tried to make my goals achievable to keep me sane, but I didn't expect to hit it so soon. So happy!

I'm having real debates with myself today. Since having my son and returning from maternity leave, I've been part-time at work. I do 19 hours and have a salary of £17k. It's a good wage for the hours I do and have adapted to cope on this so that he doesn't have to go into full-time childcare, which I've always felt strongly against.

Now that I've realised the seriousness of our situation and know that I need to do everything possible to pay off the debt, I'm torn. Do I go back full-time and sacrifice this time with him/put him in full-time nursery, or do I acknowledge it's going to take longer to pay off? My last option is to try and pick up private work to go alongside my job and bump up my wages with evening/weekend work when my hubbie is home.

Any ideas? He's 19 months old now.

Debbie
    HIGHEST DEBT £63,300 LBM 27/5/2020 DEBT FREE DATE 31.08.2022
  • clearmydebts
    clearmydebts Posts: 6,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks ab_saver!

It's a nice feeling. I deliberately tried to make my goals achievable to keep me sane, but I didn't expect to hit it so soon. So happy!

I'm having real debates with myself today. Since having my son and returning from maternity leave, I've been part-time at work. I do 19 hours and have a salary of £17k. It's a good wage for the hours I do and have adapted to cope on this so that he doesn't have to go into full-time childcare, which I've always felt strongly against.

Now that I've realised the seriousness of our situation and know that I need to do everything possible to pay off the debt, I'm torn. Do I go back full-time and sacrifice this time with him/put him in full-time nursery, or do I acknowledge it's going to take longer to pay off? My last option is to try and pick up private work to go alongside my job and bump up my wages with evening/weekend work when my hubbie is home.

Any ideas? He's 19 months old now.

Debbie

I earn a similar amount and work similar hours. I have just accepted it will take longer. I don't think there is any point in taking on extra work and not seeing the kids (for me anyway). I'd rather it took longer and spend quality time with them :)
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • I'm in the same situation. I work 3 days a week for the same type of salary. This is a good balance for me, being able to work and also spend time with my children. I've had to adjust to the reduction in earnings, but it is great to be able to spend a decent amount of time with my children. I think the sacrifice of taking longer to pay off the debt is worth it.

Xx
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Debbie I'm not sure of the mechanics but isn't there now the 15 hours that apply at 3 for some 2 year olds? If yes it might be a good thing to look into. At least if you did work more you would get to reduce your debt faster that way (with the free hours that is)

I worked 4 days a week when my son was little with one of them WFH. Is there any opportunity for that?
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Thanks for the opinions everyone.

Bobarella, you need to fall into certain categories to get the 15 hours free for 2 year olds (adopted, child protection, failing to meet developmental milestones etc) and so we don't qualify. He'll get it at aged 3, so a year and a bit to wait. It'd be fab to work more from home. I'd still have to use childcare (he's not the type of toddler who could just get on with playing by himself lol) but at least I'd get an extra 90 minutes a day with him by stopping the commute. I might have a chat with work to see if I could take on an extra day but do it from home. I can always ask!

To everyone else, it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one doing this. Part of me was starting to think I'm being selfish - taking time rather than money - but I just think it's so valuable when they're tiny. Despite the fact that he loves nursery.

Lots to think about!

I have just landed some private work that can be done on the weekends when his Dad's home, which will bring in an extra few hundred this month. I'll see how motivated I am to work for myself (and how easy it is to just leave the house to work, leaving Dad in charge lol).
  • OK... So I couldn't help myself totting up the debts after making all the payments I could for this month.

Absolutely delighted doesn't even cover it. £28,801.78 :beer: A total payment of £2002.60 this month. It's been a great month for us financially since we've had a council tax rebate, but still massively proud of ourselves for sticking at it :T:j
  • Eeeeeeek well done you!

That is amazing :T:T:T

Dxxx
  • OK...
    Absolutely delighted doesn't even cover it. £28,801.78 :beer: A total payment of £2002.60 this month. :j

Brilliant work, Well done you.

That's an amazing amount. Its amazing how quickly it mounts up. Keep going
    x
    SP 9#531=£620/SP 10 # 531=?PDBX 2016 #2 = £16,766.67/£12,000
    PDBX 2017 #2 = £1,200/£12,000

''If you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain''
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Wow impressive!!

Interesting on the 2 year old 15 hours thing. I hope your boss will consider the WFH request.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Just a quick check-in tonight ladies and gents. Updated my signature with my latest emergency fund total - it's growing nicely :beer:

I'm still finding myself frittering away my £150/month 'spends' and getting a bit annoyed at myself. For £150 I could get some nice clothes, which I'm in dire need of, or get my hair done etc. But, no. I choose to buy my lunch out all the time or stop at the shop for a bottle of coke. REALLY annoying, but it's like a pathetic addiction. I'm not even a massive foodie - I'm not buying expensive lovely stuff, just the odd sandwich or pastie or something because I'm hungry and it feels like a little treat. Those little treats are adding up to a massive problem.

MUST STOP :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family