Wescot Credit Services

Wonder if anyone can help. I have just had a letter from Westcots Credit Services. I wasn't sure why so I rang them and asked. They said I must have had a Santander Credit card which I said I no I've never had one. Then she said that it must have a been for a store card like TopShop . I said I had one for Dorthory Perkins which got paid off years ago, when I lived at my old address which was over 3 years ago. She had I got proof I said no not really cause I wouldn't even be able to check old bank statements on line as they don't go back that far. That's even if it is this card they are talking about. Now I left it with Westcot trying to get old DP statements to proof that i haven't paid them. I said that you would have to go back to before 2007 as I didn't really use the card. So it is on hold at the moment. After reading the threads I'm sure I paid this back years ago yet I can't proof it, but I'm even doubting myself now. This card defaulted in 2007 I got use to it being on my Credit Expert so I never queried it . According to the letter Westcot have taken over from Viking Debt Collection Agency and I have a feeling this is the agency that GE Capital threatened me with back in 2007 but then I paid the account in full which was £290ish pounds. Can anyone help me with this because reading from the posts above it sounds like they are a handful. I has taken me 2years to sort my finances out from my stupid days and I thought I was finally debt free apart from my loan with the bank. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    It's up to Wescot to prove that there is an actual debt and it is unpaid.

Wait for the proof. If it isn't forthcoming, then they can take a hike.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Assuming this is 'your' debt and that's a pretty big IF, then it is almost statute barred anyway if you defaulted in 2007. I agree, ignore the stupid b****ds, they are chasing cold debt and chances are, they just picked your name out of a hat to pin it on.

If they persist, send them a prove it letter but with very clear instructions that this is close to becoming harassment and you will slap them with an OFT complaint. Otherwise, ignore. Dont correspond, dont call, dont engage in anyway.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • Kinny33
    Kinny33 Posts: 23 Forumite
    I have asked them to prove it. The letter was posted to me using my old name before I was married and my new address. They must have got the details from somewhere though? Would they send someone round to my home as I have heard that they have done that to others
  • sithmaster
    sithmaster Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Kinny33 wrote: »
    I have asked them to prove it. The letter was posted to me using my old name before I was married and my new address. They must have got the details from somewhere though? Would they send someone round to my home as I have heard that they have done that to others

my understanding of it is (someone may correct me if im wrong) that as you have asked for proof they need to provide this within 14 working days. However evan if they do be very careful admitting to it as you said its neally 6 years old. If they do come out to your house talk to them at the door (do not admit to the debt) and under no reason let them in or leave the door unattended. If you must leave the door close and lock it
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    If you're on the electoral register they can get your details from there.
  • vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    They can get details from credit check sites, so if you have been on credit reference searches they sell your new details on .
    However your actions so far are a bit foolish, you are not dealing with honest people and if they get thier hands on a copy of your signature they will pin someone else's debt on to you .
    Stop all communications .
    Let them prove it or Ignore them.
    Once you have proof if it ever arrives, come back
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Kinny33
    vax2002 wrote: »
    They can get details from credit check sites, so if you have been on credit reference searches they sell your new details on .
    However your actions so far are a bit foolish, you are not dealing with honest people and if they get thier hands on a copy of your signature they will pin someone else's debt on to you .
    Stop all communications .
    Let them prove it or Ignore them.
    Once you have proof if it ever arrives, come back

Foolish as in, I shouldn't have contacted them I guess. Just a bit worried when you get a letter like that and you don't really think things through either. I won't contact them again and see what happens. Thanks for the help I needed a bit of reassurance and between you guys you have done that. I will message again if there are any further developments before doing something in haste.
  • Kinny33
    Good Morning

I have received a notice of debt collection of Wescot in the post stating either to the debt in full (290.99) or to ring them. I still don't what this is for? as they still haven't explained it to me. Obviously I'm not going to pay anything till I know the debt is actually mine. I need a little advice though. Should I write to them then I have something recorded or phone them? It does state that I have to react in 7 days otherwise they sill take further action. I don't really want to ring them so could anyone advise me what to write in the letter it would be appreciated.
  • VitaK
    VitaK Posts: 651 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Sometimes 'further action' dosen't mean anything other than, we intend on sending you another letter in hope that you pay up. In our case 'further action' was a 50% discount in the following letter.

If you sendt the 'prove it letter' and have proof of delivery you can sit back untill they give you the requested details.
  • Kinny33
    VitaK wrote: »
    Sometimes 'further action' dosen't mean anything other than, we intend on sending you another letter in hope that you pay up. In our case 'further action' was a 50% discount in the following letter.

If you sendt the 'prove it letter' and have proof of delivery you can sit back untill they give you the requested details.

I think I'll do just that. If anything turns up I'll probably be posting again for advice, if you don't mind that is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure