The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.
We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

'The £1 Million cash card' - Anyone played it lately?

Comments

• Hillards
    Hillards Posts: 53 Forumite
    There's a new batch in TV magazines at present. I got one today and discovered I have two winning cards from the 4 in a strip. Strange that you have to call 2 seperate numbers to check what you've won, meaning 2 £9 calls. One is a cash payment, lowest amount printed on the ticket is £10, so I stand to gain £1, less the cost of posting my ticket by recorded delivery of course.

A story in the Guardian (Google for it) tells readers that they've had ONE lucky Million Pound winner in 18 years of running these scratchcard promotions.

Thank goodness I live in an area that handles recycling of waste paper and card. :rolleyes:
  • I had one "The million pound cash card" fall out a paper today, I got 3 Crab symbols.

Looking at the Terms it would cost £9 for the phone call + stamps, winning a minimum of £10, I thought I would give it a go as it's worth a punt if your going to break even.

One £9 phone call later I found I had won, yep you guessed it, £10!!!!!

I called on the 3rd of Jan 2009 - the Claim number you need for 3 crabs (£10) is 1208 so you can save yourself the £9 phone call and just send the claim in if you have this too :)

I don't know how often they change the claim numbers - you have to put a date of claim on the form so maybe they track it like that?

Anyway, hope I saved some people a phone call & got them a little easy free money!
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,874
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Got one of these cards in my computer mag that arrived today. My 5 year old likes scratching the panels off and I got 3 lions which supposedly means a cash prize. Am reluctant to pay call charges etc to find I have only got £10. I know you can get the claim number by post, but can't really be bothered with the hassle.
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • Kiwimike_2
    Kiwimike_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 15 April 2009 at 1:36PM
    Yup, 3 lions = £10, as of today anyway.

But of course, you have to wait until 5 minutes 50 seconds to find that out.

Plus the cost of a 1st and 2nd class stamp.

I suspect that breaking even is the best anyone ever does with these. I'm amazed that magazines allow themselves to be associated with such a scam.
  • AK10
    AK10 Posts: 1 Newbie
    hi guys,

came across this thread through a google search, after getting 3 identical symbols (scratched about 10 days ago). Anyone knows what are the possible combinations atm? (I didnt get neither the lions or crabs).

Thanks in advance.
  • Pocoyo
    Pocoyo Posts: 601 Forumite
    I had 3 anchors but not bothered to ring up yet.
  • phlash
    phlash Posts: 883
    First Post
    Forumite
    Me three anchors also. So don't bother!
    I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.
    That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!;)
  • discobaby
    discobaby Posts: 1,156 Forumite
    Omg do people actually fall for these cons?? :s
  • softpad
    softpad Posts: 1,239
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Don't know if its the same here, but you don't actually have to ring up usually. There's usually a tiny bit that says you can apply by post so I always do. Then, it's cost me nothing apart from a stamp.
    MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOUR
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I haven't even ever bothered to send in via post....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure