PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Anybody living in an all-electric flat can prep too!
    Get a bistro type camp stove - you buy them on Amazon with a set of canisters and they're very good, very stable and safe.
    Get some hot water bottles.
    Buy wool socks and flannelette or thermal jammies.
    Have plenty matches and candles.
    Have a windup lantern and radio.
    And food!
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2012 at 8:43PM
    We are covered on most fronts but it always concerned me I wouldn't be able to bake..not the most pressing worry if the SHTF
    but I've now got this covered as I bought a cobb oven from Lakeland with my birthday money so I can now bake bread etc

For those worrying about freezer contents but who do have a camping stove,do you have jars?? Bottling is so easy to do and fruits can be saved this way,veg can be pickled etc.

I have a pedal generator too so can use my slowcooker with this and charge stuff it can also jumpstart a car apparently :rotfl:

I also save the lint from the tumble dryer to use as a firestarter if needed,cotton wool balls soaked in vaseline work well too.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The pound stores sell silvery emergency blankets that are supposed to keep in heat.

Duvets and hot water bottles (if you can heat water on gas hob or camping stove) and hot drinks.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have the kind of camping gear that takes us abroad every year for 6-8 weeks where we camp without electricity most of the time. Just off the top of my head I've got cooking gas for at least a month, torch batteries and gas for the lamps ditto, all the bedding required for camping as well as that we have in the house, a complete spare medicine chest, box of canned basics and all the rest. And a camp fridge that can run on gas if required. I've got sparkers and matches in both the lightweight camping supply box and the trailer tent. And about 100 candles, which I bought for the Millenium Bug thing and still haven't used!

We do have a portapotti and chemicals for it too but with four of us in the house that wouldn't last long. However we just so happen to have a manhole for our local sewer mains in the corner of the garden and it's easy enough to get open, or we could just use the camping bucket for liquids and dig a hole out in the garden for solids. We've got a shed, we could convert that to an outside loo very easily.

For transport we've got more bikes than people here, then a few more. And an old bike trailer for hauling things like firewood.

What else? Heat? We're all fat and healthy, we've got plenty of clothes. We spent four months (Feb-May) in this house with no heating except the fire one year and that was when DD was four and we coped just fine. We've got an open fire grate and I do keep the chimney swept for the couple of times a year we like a fire. (Rest of the time we've got a fake logburner/electric stove in front of it.) I've got a fair stack of wood outside, for building things in the garden and allotment. And a hatchet, for chopping it up.

I have enough food here for at least a month, assuming we eat the freezer stuff up first. When the big snows came 18 months ago we stayed at home for two weeks, what drove me out to the shops in the end was cat food and toilet rolls, lol. I've kept a months worth of both in the house ever since, plus UHT milk (that's a camping thing) and flour. I can bake bread in a Dutch oven on a camp stove.

I never keep less than one month's worth of our prescription drugs in the house, usually two. Plus all the usual stuff like paracetamol and antiseptics, I have a very well stocked first aid kit and I've also taken a first aid course. Hubby and I have a spare set of specs each in the medicine cabinet, we don't buy them specially, just keep our old ones when we've got new ones. Can't manage without my specs and prescribed drugs and I don't want to be panicking if one of the kids gets a cut or something.

Water? Well, if I had warning I'd get the bath and every bucket in the house filled up, plus the camping water containers. There's four of the big Tesco water carboys downstairs in the utility room for emergency drinking water, they wouldn't last us a week of course but they'd give us a start. Very convenient for camping btw and cheap enough to keep a couple to hand! I've got two water butts out the garden filled with water which I could use for washing and such. There's a river a quarter of a mile away from here come to think of it. I could take the laundry down and beat it on the rocks....

The only thing I can think of that I haven't mentioned is hygiene. Now that would be very important and I don't mean washing hair every day I mean washing hands and dishes etc, to avoid getting tummy upsets. Sanitising gels are all very well but really, there's nothing to beat soap and water for hands and hot water and detergent for dishes. Remember to scrape the dishes really well, rub off any fat or lumps with newspaper and it's surprising how little hot water you need to wash up after that. And dispose of rubbish regularly, you don't want to be keeping several bags of rubbish in the house in case of rats. As for water I do have sterilizing tablets and a filter so I could drink the river water if I had to, yup. There's always the option of boiling it as well of course, and rainwater or clean snow are an option depending on weather.

I've not actually collected any of this stuff in preparation for a big disaster btw, just for times we can't get out the house because of bad weather or illness or such. The camping gear is for holidays, the bikes are used, the storecupboard is moneysaving in its own right. Much of the rest is common sense. Do some people really only have enough clothes and bedding to keep them warm if the central heating is on too?
    Val.
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Can i ask how everyone stores things and how much they have? ( just so i can decide whose house ill come to haha ) as i don't have much storage but have prioritised things like tinned food ( still building a store cupboard) but have nothing like a stove or any of these other things, really im not sure where i could put them let alone find money to buy them.

So my prep is basically my store cupboard ( should get water!) we have enough clothes blankets to keep us warm enough and i could always insulate my house with my loo roll stash?

I do worry about these things especially with having a 3 year old but my plan is for us to live off tinned custard and rice pudding!

Looking forward to everyones tips and maybe even improving my plan :)

Ooh one thing i do have is a file in a safe place which has passports birth certificates home insurace stuff etc in which is rather organised for me.
    Living the simple life
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for this one Mar. its actually shown me how far I have come in my thoughts, I have boxes of candles, with some in candle stands on window sills. Lots of tealights and holders (I really dont want fires breaking out), candle holders and candle lanterns too.
    Water - we always have a a good supply of bottled water in (only thing DS8 will drink so I buy it buy the crate)
    We have a gas hob (and it works with the electric ignition) if gas is still running and a gas BBQ to use outside under a canopy if not.
    Food - well we always have a really good store

I keep a big spotlight type torch on charge in utility room which I can use to see whilst I gather supplies from the shed. I would really like a camping stove and I think they were fairly cheap in B&M last week so I will try to pick one up.

For me the big issue would be dealing with DS8, being autistic he will likely panic and as he relies heavily on TV as a calming baseline it will be the loss of TV that will cause the most issues.
    I try to keep all the laptops, portable DVD players and nintendo Ds fully charged and with some warning that would be my first port of call ensuring they are all fully charged. Then it would be a case of rationing them - although I would be willing to charge them in the car if it went on that long.

We have loads of spare duvets, pillows etc and I would definitely have everyone camping in the living room together to keep warm. Although I would definitely be bringing their mattress' down too!!

As for keeping warm entertained etc, I think I would be encouraging the kids to spend five minutes racing up and down the stairs every hour!
  • prepareathome
    prepareathome Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Any place you have a bit of space you store if you don't have one place - but keep a list. If camping stove is on top of the wardrobe make sure you write it down, candles at bottom of hall cupboard write that down as well.

The only thing you need to keep cool and dry is gas cannisters - so they can go in the shed but cover them against cold or in my house as no shed I have them all against outside wall in downstairs toilet. Obviously if you have little ones that is not an option but anywhere no right by radiators or a room that gets to warm is ok.
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,724 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hello, followed you over from the 't' thread. Would it be possible to post a list of the very basics you think we need to get started?
    Thanks, back off to lurk.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks, Mardatha, for starting the thread. :) I'll be following this one avidly. I do pay attention to life without power and ways to cope as we do a fair bit of camping - sometimes the equipment contained in motorbike panniers - and have got used to looking for things in the dark. I've been running my stocks down lately so I can restock but need to get into the habit of proper stock rotation.

A good storecupboard is essential to me, but I'd never considered the water that seriously. We have a bath and plenty of containers to put water into, but I think I'll invest in a couple of the 5ltr bottles. I've cleared out a cupboard and they can go there.

Don't forget if children are involved to keep a small supply of puzzles or board games handy, and wet wipes are as essential for kids as well as for improvised showers! I always keep some antibacterial hand gel on hand for hygiene too. :)

First on my purchases list will be a wind-up/solar radio with AM/FM (and hopefully MW - you never know!)

Looking forward to inspiration and lots of ideas.

K xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • meme30
    meme30 Posts: 534 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2012 at 9:25PM
    When we used to rough camp we used to dig a pit to put the content of our Porta potti in. A four foot deep pit, contents then soil, contents soil etc. The pit lasted our two week hols and was fully filled in when we left.
    We have the loo up in the loft still. Must get some blue stuff in for it. Blue stuff dissolves solid waste and stops smells.:p

When we rough camped we used to collect 10 gallon of water every day! That covered washing (us and dishes) and drinking water for two adults and two children. Think how much you would need to last a few days!. Camping places sell 5 gallon plastic water carriers, I'm thinking big!
    Give us the strength to encounter that which is to come, that we may be brave in peril, constant in tribulation, temparate in wrath, and in all changes of fortune, and down to the gates of death, loyal and loving to one another.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure