Cheese Hamper for Bloke's birthday...

Options
I bought a set of cheese 'tools' over Christmas at Lidl (knife, mini cleaver, slicer etc). I found a small (8" x 12") rubberwood chopping board too and I'm thinking of making a kind of 'hamper' for my friends husband's birthday (He loves cheese:D - and is well jealous of the proper sized cleaver I recently bought for £3.99!!)

I am going to add a couple of packs of special crackers, and 2 or 3 'posh' cheeses just before I wrap/hand over - but am a bit stuck as to how to wrap it all up so it doesn't just rattle around all over. I thought of a (new) tea-towel but it seems a bit girly:o . I have tissue paper/cellophane etc - but again - a bit girly?

Any ideas gratefully considered!! (for other bloke-y wrapping too!) And any other (smallish - we are bound to a strict budget :rotfl: :rotfl: ) things to add to the hamper??
"...I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
WB Yeats.

Comments

• Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What about some posh linen or paper napkins? Posh paper ones can be picked up for a £1 or £2, linen ones cost a bit more but hunt around & you might get lucky, or if you have a sewing machine then a yard or so of suitable fabric (check the remenants bins!) & it's only straight seams & Bob's your uncle! You might have to wrap the bits seperately then tie all together in a bundle with some ribbon as I'm not sure if napkins would be big enough to do it all in one go but it should look nice. Personally I'd prefer linen ones but that's just my personal choice!

Edit : just thought, what about a cheap table cloth?

Good luck;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Whistling_Gypsy
    Options
    Thanks Lillibet - splendid idea! I too like the idea of linen - a nice navy or burgandy (nice and blokey - but my friend will be happy if they can use the napkins too! As well as the cheese - cos obviously I will choose things we like)
    No chance of getting material and just 'knocking something up' - I have a lifelong aversion to sewing and have trouble dealing with buttons (though I have managed an 8" x 10" cross stitch that only took me.................6 years!)

Jobs for tomorow morning (after a suitable 'Off Work' lie in - - Dunelm Mill, Glynn Webb, Rosebys etc!)

Cheers!
    "...I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
    WB Yeats.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts