Caramelised carrot chutney

M&S do a Wensleydale and caramelised carrot chutney butty - it's the biz. But obviously don't want to be paying £1.60 for a sarnie if I can buy (or make) some myself. I've googled but came up with nothing. Any ideas?

Comments

• Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I found this online - is it anything like it?

Caramelized Carrot Chutney

We call it in Urdu 'Gajar ka Murabba' or 'Carrot sweet preserve'.

Preparation time: 20 minutes
    Cooking time: 40 minutes
    Serves persons: 8 to 10

Ingredients:
    Carrots 1/2 kg (about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds)
    Sugar 1/2 kg (about 1 1/4 to 1 1/12 pounds)
    Water 2 cups
    Lemon juice 1 Tablespoon

Method:
    Remove skin and bones of carrots and boil it. Drain carrots, properly. Cook a thick mixture of sugar and water. Add carrot in the mixture. Cook for about 15 minutes. Add lemon juice also.

This tasty and nutritious sweet preserves will last in the frig for upto a week.
  • Trow
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Or you might be able to order this - maybe M&S's supplier??

http://www.brackenhillfinefoods.co.uk/chutneys_sauces.htm
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Trow wrote:
    Method:
    Remove skin and bones of carrots and boil it.

Thanks Trow, I'm not at all sure about removing skin and bones from carrots though.:rotfl:
  • Trow
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Lol - at least you weren't told to cut them to the size of a testicle, like another cut and pasted recipe said!!
  • juliapenguin
    juliapenguin Posts: 763
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi there

Does anyone have a recipe for carrot chutney like the one in the M&S sandwiches? I think the ingredients are just carrots, sugar and white wine vinegar - I meant to keep the box but it got thrown away. Those sandwiches are sooooooo delicious and I'd love to be able to make that chutney - I've never found a bought one that I actually like.

Hope someone can help!

Julia
  • sallyrsm
    sallyrsm Posts: 339 Forumite
    My Mum made this one... it's nice. Don't buy bought sarnies so can't comment on Marks one but you could I suppose leave the sultanas out...

1 lb--500gm carrots washed and chopped, for a fine chutney grate the carrot.
    3 oz--88gm brown sugar
    3 oz--88gm sultanas
    1 pint--510 ml vinegar, malt or white
    1 teaspoon mixed spice
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    12 peppercorns
    1 bay leaf
    Method
    Put all the ingredients in a pan. Bring to the boil. Simmer till all the ingredients are tender, stir occasionally. Do not overheat so that the chutney sticks to the pan. Do not put a lid on the pan when cooking the chutney. The chutney should be tender and the liquid syrupy.
    Warm chutney jars, use a jug to put the chutney in the jars. Wipe clean, put on wax lids, top off with the cellophane lid and rubberband. Let the chutney cool, label and store.
    Enjoy
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hi, Julia! We've had another thread asking for this recipe. Sadly, no report of whether the recipe is any good.

I'll merge the threads. When you make the chutney, let us know - I love those sarnies too :o

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Not quite the same as caramalised carrot chutney, but very nice all the same. Has a lot of ginger and a nice crunch to it, so great in a sandwich.

Ingredients
    1.25kg carrots
    85g grated ginger
    250ml white wine vinegar
    150ml water
    juice and grated rind of 2 lemons
    3 tbsp sugar
    1 tbsp honey
    1 tbsp salt
    2 tbsp ground coriander seeds
    1 tsp ground ginger
    2 large chillies
    3 tbsp flaked almonds

Method
    Grate the carrots and mix with all the other ingredients, except the chillies and almonds, leave to stand overnight. Bring to the boil and simmer for twenty minutes, then boil hard for ten to fifteen minutes or until thickened. Finely chop the chillies and add them and the almonds to the mixture. Pot in steralised jars.
  • laura2481
    laura2481 Posts: 4,305
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Trow wrote: »

Method:
    Remove skin and bones of carrots and boil it. Drain carrots, properly. Cook a thick mixture of sugar and water. Add carrot in the mixture. Cook for about 15 minutes. Add lemon juice also.

This tasty and nutritious sweet preserves will last in the frig for upto a week.
    :rotfl: I love that mis-translation. Makes me think it should be a caramelized parrot chutney! I don't think that would be so good with wenslydale..:o
  • Hope you've made sure you've got all the bones out first though.:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport