Christmas present ideas for lady with early stage dementia and limited mobility

As my title says, I am struggling with this one. The lady in question (my mother-in-law) can no longer read more than a sentence or two, doesn't eat chocolate or drink alcohol, can't operate the DVD or CD player on her own and struggles with many other things involving any amount of concentration or movement. She doesn't really enjoy going out for meals either.

She does enjoy watching TV, drinking tea, chatting, looking at photos (old and new) and watching the garden birds. I know it sounds limited but she seems quite content.

She doesn't need any more photo albums, frames (walls and surfaces are covered), bird feeders/bird bath, mugs, blankets, cushions etc. For her last birthday I bought her a skirt and cardigan, but to be honest she has so many clothes already.

I really am at a loss as to what I can get her for Christmas and would appreciate any helpful suggestions please. It is important to my children (teens) in particular to be able to give her something even if it will be get limited use.

Comments

• cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cuddly toy? My Dad had a stuffed cat that he was fond of when he was suffering from mild dementia. He would make it dance to amuse the children.

He also liked doing jigsaws, try to find fairly simple ones as he struggled with the 1000 piece ones that he used to like before he was ill.

Would she enjoy some audio books? It makes a change from watching TV and good if she can't read much any more, as she could keep up to date with any authors that she used to like. If she's not already got a CD player, the very cheap ones from Argos are easy to operate.

Another idea is a clock which has the day and date on it. My Dad would get confused what day it was and sometimes whether it was am or pm, so one like this was useful: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/6239095.htm

We also bought Dad a week planner and would write on it who was coming to see him and when.
  • Mint1955
    Mint1955 Posts: 685
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    How about a beautician to come to her house and give her a hand massage and manicure
    Special mug or pretty tea cup and saucer for her tea
    Treat biscuits
    Lap tray
    Electronic photo frame that changes photos like a film show
    Teens could go to grans for a movie night/afternoon and watch DVD and have tea etc. they could diary the events so she has something to look forward to
    Living the dream and retired in Cyprus :j

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105296
  • How about a supply of peanuts/fat balls /seed for the feeders to keep her topped up? Especially with the hard winter months ahead for the birds. Has she got a nice birdbath or fountain that provides the birds with much needed water?
    Back on the trains again!

• Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If she enjoys looking at photos, how about a book with lots and lots of pictures about the Queen, royalty, Golden Jubilee?
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • jap200
    jap200 Posts: 2,033
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately many of the things she alreaday has or wouldn't like or be able to cope with.

The clock (suggested by cte1111) is a great idea as she does struggle with the date and time. It's a bit out of our budget and does seem a bit over-priced for what it is, but I might be able to shop around for something similar.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    We bought MiL a radio controlled clock (always tells the correct time) last year.
    This year she's getting a new dressing gown with buttons as she gets tangled with the tie-up sort and the Jubilee dvd set - SiL will start it running as MiL can't anymore.
    The calendar clock is a great idea - I'll look out for one for her birthday.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,892
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Would be interested to see any other clocks people find: thought that Argos one was really ugly, TBH, but might be able to get something like a clock for FIL.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What about one of those clocks with garden birds on that makes a different birdsong every hour? (That doesn't help with day and date of course).
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • cte1111
    cte1111 Posts: 7,390
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Would be interested to see any other clocks people find: thought that Argos one was really ugly, TBH, but might be able to get something like a clock for FIL.

Here's a more attractive one from John Lewis for £30:
    http://www.johnlewis.com/154686/Product.aspx#BVRRWidgetID

It's out of stock online ATM but you could ask to be emailed when it comes back in, or get one instore. Some of the reviews are from people who have bought them for relatives with dementia and they were happy with it.

Re the bird clock, I bought my MIL one of those, didn't realise it chirped every hour when I bought it, I just thought she would like the birds and it matched her kitchen. Every time it chirped, their pet guinea pigs squeaked in unison! Made me LOL, would have driven me mad in my own house though. She must like it as it's still up in their kitchen.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,892
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    cte1111 wrote: »
    Here's a more attractive one from John Lewis for £30:
    http://www.johnlewis.com/154686/Product.aspx#BVRRWidgetID

It's out of stock online ATM but you could ask to be emailed when it comes back in, or get one instore. Some of the reviews are from people who have bought them for relatives with dementia and they were happy with it.
    Thanks, it's certainly nicer than the one from Argos, but doesn't say whether it's morning or afternoon. I don't know if it will be well received, either.

Anyway, just been and searched out a previous thread specifically on clocks and calendars in case it helps anyone else.
    cte1111 wrote: »
    Re the bird clock, I bought my MIL one of those, didn't realise it chirped every hour when I bought it, I just thought she would like the birds and it matched her kitchen. Every time it chirped, their pet guinea pigs squeaked in unison! Made me LOL, would have driven me mad in my own house though. She must like it as it's still up in their kitchen.
    Maybe she just doesn't know how to take it down, or 'forgets' it keeps going so is constantly surprised by it ... :rotfl:

It would drive me nuts as well ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family