Credit card fraud used online...any advice?

My bank has just rang asking if I have just bought £880 worth of chavvy jewellery online!
It would seem my card has been used fraudulently. In total they have used it to top up a mobile at o2, a few 192 transactions, £300 Travelodge and £880 of bling!
Luckily the CC company (asda/santander) rang and are now investigating.

I use avg for years, but have just bought a new laptop a few months ago so have updated that to the paid version of avg.
We also use something called sandboxie, that was recommended to us when surfing.

I always check if websites I use are https.

I shred everything with my name/address/details on.

I never let my card leave my sight in shops.

We have changed passwords for online banking and that cc has now been suspended

I just cannot for the life of me figure out where they got my info from, is there any way I can find out?
:money: Martin Lewis Rocks!:money:

Comments

• Plxply
    Plxply Posts: 594 Forumite
    Your card could have always been skimmed as all they need to do is write (or remember) the CVV from the back of the card. Have you ever handed it over to someone in a store for example and taken your eyes off it? These things can happen very quickly without your knowledge, don't necessarily think it was recent either as the fraudsters will have your expiration date and as such it can often take time as your card number is sold on as they are aware when the card will be stopped.
  • texranger
    texranger Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    pegginout wrote: »
    My bank has just rang asking if I have just bought £880 worth of chavvy jewellery online!
    It would seem my card has been used fraudulently. In total they have used it to top up a mobile at o2, a few 192 transactions, £300 Travelodge and £880 of bling!
    Luckily the CC company (asda/santander) rang and are now investigating.

I use avg for years, but have just bought a new laptop a few months ago so have updated that to the paid version of avg.
    We also use something called sandboxie, that was recommended to us when surfing.

I always check if websites I use are https.

I shred everything with my name/address/details on.

I never let my card leave my sight in shops.

We have changed passwords for online banking and that cc has now been suspended

I just cannot for the life of me figure out where they got my info from, is there any way I can find out?

as mentioned several times on these forums just because a site has an ssl certificate (https or padlock) does not always mean it is not run by fraudsters.
    an ssl can be purchased very cheaply from $5 a yr and installed on a site, so fraudsters can still get your details by making your think you are sending your details securely.
    a way to check a site if you have never used them is check the URL at a site like http://whois.domaintools.com and you will be surprised at how many .co.uk domains are registered in china etc.
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    And then of course there was the little "issue" with Diginotar... I know that their certificates were removed from the secure list fairly sharpish but they took well over a month to actually say that they had been hacked.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • PHARR
    PHARR Posts: 405
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Im sure your bank will be able to trace down the user especially if they have topped up their one personal mobile phone maybe.

I do not always trust HTTPS even though it does create a secure connection and certificate of approval it always can be bought as previous poster said and set up to trap you.

I feel for you, its a cruel world!
    Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
  • texranger
    Paddy_H wrote: »
    Im sure your bank will be able to trace down the user especially if they have topped up their one personal mobile phone maybe.

I do not always trust HTTPS even though it does create a secure connection and certificate of approval it always can be bought as previous poster said and set up to trap you.

I feel for you, its a cruel world!

if its been used to top up a PAYG mobile phone unless they have registered the phone/sim then their is no way to trace this and if they are scammers i doubt they would have registered the phone.
  • PHARR
    PHARR Posts: 405
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    texranger wrote: »
    if its been used to top up a PAYG mobile phone unless they have registered the phone/sim then their is no way to trace this and if they are scammers i doubt they would have registered the phone.

Respectfully true, at a last desperate option they could request location information from the service provider of that number for each of the calls which may help in finding the person but that's pretty limited.
    Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
  • texranger
    Paddy_H wrote: »
    Respectfully true, at a last desperate option they could request location information from the service provider of that number for each of the calls which may help in finding the person but that's pretty limited.

Only the police through a court order could request this type of investigation
  • I've heard that credit card numbers and CVV are now being generated by the millions by scammers.
    99.9% of course won't work
    Occasionally they get lucky.
    Your card/number need not have been comprimised at all

Then of course there is the dreaded inside job possibility - though again I gather that call centre operatives are only given access to a limited amount of your credit card details - not the full number etc to reduce this possibility.

All you can do is continue to check your statements......

In the past I've suggested that a text to your mobile from the CC company every time an item is bought with the card would at least mean that only the first fraudalent purchase would go through. It did not get a favourable reaction on MSE people claiming they would be receiveing texts every 5 minutes from their genuine purchases (yeah?), and that it would transfer some responsibility onto the user to actually check their texts and whose responsibility would it be if more fraudalent purchases were made after the text listing the first dodgy one had been sent: which I agree is an issue.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,070
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    OP has opened two identical threads on this same subject

Moderator please close one down

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3565307
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • pegginout
    pegginout Posts: 993
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 24 October 2011 at 6:35AM
    Farway wrote: »
    OP has opened two identical threads on this same subject

Moderator please close one down

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3565307

I'm sorry, I posted in techie forum first, but then decided it would be better in credit card section.

I was just frantic after the phone call, and desperately worried!

I am sorry but I didn't know how to delete the post :(
    :money: Martin Lewis Rocks!:money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family