PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Where can I buy household ammonia?

flippin36
flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
edited 9 August 2009 at 3:11PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi, hope you helpful lot could point me in the right direction. I need some pure ammonia for cycling my fishtank but I am struggling to find it anywhere. I remember my mum using it for cleaning purposes, hence posting on old style thread. It has to be pure ammonia with no other cleaning products added. Thanks in advance. :A

Comments

• Jnelhams
    Jnelhams Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    larger Boots stores, near the washing powder and insect killer, also Wilkinsons sell it
    My Mind wanders, if found please return.
  • keith969
    keith969 Posts: 1,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Robert Dyas stores sell it.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong.
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If it's for fishtanks would an aquatic store not sell it? I'd be worried that anything bought for household cleaning might not be totally pure.
  • flippin36
    Thanks will try Wilkinsons, I think the boots by us is too small. The aquatic centres by me, believe it or not don't sell it. They say hardware stores and supermarkets but can't find it. Thanks for your replies.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I bought some at Homebase;) I've yet to find a use for it mind you.
  • flippin36
    thriftlady wrote: »

Well thats the thing. Practical Fishkeeping forum told me Homebase but I couldn't find any in my local one. I think its quite an old fashioned cleaning product thats quite hard to come across. I seem to remember it smells awful which is probably why no one uses it anymore. :D
  • I bought mine from Boots. You do need to ensure that it doesn't have any additives. I think you can buy it online somewhere but the postage makes it that much more expensive.

If you can't get hold of Ammonia, I understand you can use fish food, but it's a bit more hit & miss. Good luck with your cycle.
  • frivolous_fay
    frivolous_fay Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    thriftlady wrote: »

On my trial day working at a hairdresser, they had us wash the windows with it.
    They had several trial people that day, and the windows were washed at least twice :rolleyes:
    My TV is broken! :cry:
    Edit: refunded £515 for TV 1.5 years out of warranty - thank you Sale of Goods Act! :j
  • tonyhamm
    tonyhamm Posts: 221 Forumite
    edited 11 November 2009 at 10:19PM
    I just tried 2 branches of Boots and Wilkos. The manager at Wilkos said they used to sell it, but they don't stock it now all he could suggest was a DIY store. Boots, they only seem to have 3 departments in thier stores now - Photo and Electrical, Beauty and Phamacy, Baby and thats it. No household items stocked at all - needless to say couldn't find it anywhere in Boots. B&Q definately dont have it.
    No supermarkets stock it. Its all a bit strange - stuff like caustic soda is miles more dangerious, has fewer uses and is easy to get hold off. The only reason I can think that its been pulled is that its easier to make a bomb out of.
    The only place left is homebase.
    so says another ordinary mug fighting the 1% who own the political machine grinding them down from on high...
    :A
  • Some independant pharmacies sell it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family