Sainsburys money off vouchers

Options

Comments

• Brown_suga
    Options
    I managed to use the £8.99 sainsbury's voucher in tesco today. After having it refused earlier in the week by a mean lady >:(

I took the advice of the members of this forum and went today whislt it was busy and headed for the youngest fresh faced lad i could find ;D

He took it without even looking at it, i just said
    'you take sainsbury's vouchers don't you'

£15 shopping for £6 ;D ;D ;D

I think it all depends on who you get at the tills
    Debt £31,184.05 - DFD - Jan 2015!!!
    Next target - Barclaycard £1000.00/965.29
    PAD from 20.12.10 ~ £1318.29
    NSD Challenge ~ Jan 10/10, Feb 10/10, March 10/13
    £365 in £365 Challenge ~ £120.06
    Sealed Pot Challenge member #1154
  • Juicy_Tube
    Options
    I was told in Tescos today by cashier and supervisor they will not accept Sainsburys vouchers.  As I'm a novice at the voucher lark I decided not to pursue it, probably Friday afternoon is not the best time to try it.

Are there any Tesco staff using this website that can advise of their up to date policy?  

The vouchers I have are only valid until tomorrow anyway but I would like to know if it's worth picking up more from Sainsburys midweek to attempt to use in Tescos next weekend.  

I think it must (again) depend on which store-how annoying for you!

I have just used my last 2 Sainsbury vouchers in Tesco, saving £24.00, one was for next week..No problem at all.

My Mum up in Yorkshire asked what their policy was and cashier was unsure. She had very easily used a lot of vouchers when she was here in London with me..

She was referred to supervisor and was told she could use one at a time only; supervisor signed off each voucher so as to save time with cashier queries about them..

I can use any in Tesco London, even if they are out of date. If you cannot use yours, please post them to me ;)

Perhaps you should check with a supervisor before doing your shop? Worth a try??!! ;D

JT x
    It's great in here! :)
  • mm66
    mm66 Posts: 550 Forumite
    Options
    It really is pot luck and depends on the cashier...just came back from our weekely shop and gor £49 worth of shopping for £8.4. Used Sainsburys vouchers and was no problem at all...

Actually the guy was laughing and said he would keep taking them till the system stops him or a supervisor stops him.... ;D
  • chrislee765
    Options
    Hehe, i see what your saying about going to a young lad.
    I'm a young lad and i work in a somerfield. I'll do anything for the customers regardless. Shame somerfield dont accept other store's vouchers otherwise i would tell you to come to my till.

Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
  • Tim_L
    Tim_L Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Couple of points arising from posts earlier in this thread.

Firstly, where to find vouchers:

1) Send for every product freebie going - usually these come with vouchers.
    2) Keep your eye on stuff that comes with free newspapers, and learn to love your junk mail.
    3) Some of the cheaper womens' mags have vouchers in - often the Rpoints coupon forum flags these up.
    4) Children and baby companies offer books of vouchers - check websites for Cow & Gate, Pampers, Huggies, etc (you can sometimes get linemypocket/greasypalm cashback for registering too!)
    5) Ask friends and family to save them for you.
    6) Sign up for product information lines or enquire about products - often you get sent vouchers.

After a while of doing this, you really do pile up the vouchers. I don't ever use scanned internet vouchers (though I do use the Home Solutions personalised ones), but I have a never ending supply.

Secondly, Pinecone vouchers - these are luncheon vouchers and not product related. You should be able to use these like cash, independant of any coupon policy. Sainsbury's, although having a generally much more restrictive coupon policy than Asda and Tesco, take them without problems.

Thirdly, the problem about inconsistency and what happens at the till when they refuse to take them. In my opinion it's counter productive to kick up a fuss - the best thing to do is to say "oh really, sorry", pick up the vouchers and use them next week (or go round again). If you call a supervisor or manager over, everyone's back will be put up and there's a fair chance the store will invent a policy to support its staff.

There are some reports of a new Tesco's policy, by the way - no more than 50% of a shop to be paid for by vouchers, other shops' vouchers not permissible, no internet vouchers at all, and if you have not bought the item the voucher relates to, no more than 1 voucher per item purchased overall (so if you buy 10 items, you can't use more than 10 vouchers), and no duplicates if you haven't bought the item. But don't expect the middle aged women checkout operators to know (or allow) this!

Lastly, I'm proud to be a cheapskate. And at least I can spell 'people'...! ;)
  • Marigold123
    Marigold123 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Phoned Asda customer service today, as their server was giving trouble.

This is the email I had sent to me as a result: Very interesting, I thought.

ooOoo

Thank you for contacting me regarding the policy on coupons.

This is the actual policy ..please note issue of bulk coupon redemption

Coupons produced by suppliers/manufacturers (the sort of coupon you find on the back of packets, in magazines, amongst junk mail at home, for example) are acceptable at the checkout provided the item referred to on the coupon is stocked by ASDA. The customer does not have to purchase the specific item referred to in order to redeem the coupon.

ASDA coupons (which bear ASDA's name and can often be found in the ASDA Magazine) can only be redeemed if the customer has actually purchased the product referred to.

Customers should be politely encouraged to tender any coupons at the START of the transaction, as this makes it much easier to check the coupons against the shopping.

Remember also to check expiry dates on all coupons - out of date coupons will not be accepted by our bulk handlers.
    Bulk Coupon Redemption
    Occasionally a customer may try to redeem large quantities of coupons in one transaction. There is no set limit on how many coupons may be accepted.

Please remember that customers will occasionally want to redeem manufacturers' gift vouchers (which they may have been sent as a result of corresponding directly with the manufacturer). These may be worth £1, £2, £5 or even more. In these circumstances the customer should redeem the coupon against that manufacturer's products, and should be encouraged to purchase products in excess of the voucher value. However, if the customer is unable or unwilling to spend all the voucher value, then change should be given in line with our 'No Excuses Guaranteed' policy - or the value applied to the remainder of the customer's shopping.

The above does not include Kiosk

We have had a lot of queries lately regarding our coupon acceptance policy especially relating to internet coupons. I have spoken to John Barnsley who has informed me that;

- We do accept internet coupons
    - We accept coupons even if the customer has not bought the product as long as we stock it.
    - We actually get a handling fee for every coupon we accept so it is in the store's interest to accept them
    - Bulk redemption is down to the discretion of the store so if a customer wants to pay for their entire shopping with coupons this can be refused.

If you get any stores refusing to take coupons you can override them. This policy is on pipeline and John will be putting this in the CSM bulletin next Monday so all stores are made aware.

ooOoo

I am usually told that you can only pay for up to 10% of your total shop in vouchers.

I'm also still not sure about their policy on other retailers' coupons - apart from the '£3 off when you spend £30' type, which they definitely do accept. They usually want you to buy the product with these, but in practice you can sometimes hand over more than one coupon for your single product and have it accepted.

I don't think the amounts are as strict for these either. With my '£1 off when you spend £5 on Healthy Options' Tesco voucher, I was able to buy a jar of Asda's own 5% fat tikka marsala and a couple of cans of pears in fruit juice, handed over 2 x £1 off vouchers, and had them accepted. I also put one packet of pampers nappies in my trolley and managed to use 3 x £1 off Tescos vouchers, 2 for different kinds of Pampers, and one for Tescos own brand.

It depends who you get, whether they are in a good mood or not, and probably on how comfortable they are working with figures. I was astonished to discover just how many checkout operators don't know how to work out 10% of something!

It's definitely worth contacting Asda and Tesco for a individual email telling you exactly what is what. Then you can show it to the checkout operator/ supervisor/manager if you have any difficulty. It's probably also worth getting a new one every month or so, so they can't say it is out of date and their policy has changed.

Good luck.
    A penny saved is a penny gained
  • Dormouse
    Dormouse Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for posting that, Marigold! But what a bizarre email... doesn't sound like Asda know what they're talking about!

Why should you give them the coupons at the beginning of a transaction so that they "can check them against the purchase" if they're supposed to accept them anyway???

And what exactly is their definition of "bulk"???

Also, this is the first time I've heard of a difference between money-off vouchers and what they refer to as "manufacturers' gift vouchers". In my experience, they are treated exactly the same way...

Curiouser and curiouser ;)

PS. Well said, Tim_L, in the last line of your post! LOL
  • wackojackouk
    wackojackouk Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tesco's are strange - my local one won't accept Sainsbury's ones now but another one about 3 miles away still have a massive banner saying "We accept Sainsbury's Spend and Save Vouchers".

Shame I don't have any left coz they ran out and I threw em away - any tips where to get some more Sainsbury's ones?
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    How do you get spend and save vouchers?
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Marigold123
    Marigold123 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dormouse wrote:
    Why should you give them the coupons at the beginning of a transaction so that they "can check them against the purchase" if they're supposed to accept them anyway???
    That's what I thought! (And as if you would, if there was a chance they wouldn't check them!!)
    A penny saved is a penny gained
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport