Competition Scams - Please Post Them Here

Comments

• I've received the Comp Slip and notification from Survey UK / Matters Consulting this morning too! :rolleyes:
  • I got an email from Threepipe Communications (email address @threepipe.com) saying I'd won Joseph tickets. I'm a bit leary that this may be a scan. Would hate to go to London only to find out I'd wasted my money and time. Anyone know if this is legit? I probably did enter through the Independant.... And BTW, I received the same email twice (from the same sender).

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for entering the Joseph competition featured in the Independent newspaper. I am delighted to inform you that you are a lucky winner of two tickets to the Joseph musical on 20/11/08 at 7.30 pm. Congratulations! To redeem your tickets please print out this email and take it to the box office on the evening of the specified performance. Thank you and we hope you hope you enjoy the show!
    Best wishes,

Threepipe Communications
  • Nomad25
    Nomad25 Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :confused: Sorry can't help - anyone??
  • lilias
    lilias Posts: 7,902 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I got an email from Threepipe Communications (email address @threepipe.com) saying I'd won Joseph tickets. I'm a bit leary that this may be a scan. Would hate to go to London only to find out I'd wasted my money and time. Anyone know if this is legit? I probably did enter through the Independant.... And BTW, I received the same email twice (from the same sender).

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for entering the Joseph competition featured in the Independent newspaper. I am delighted to inform you that you are a lucky winner of two tickets to the Joseph musical on 20/11/08 at 7.30 pm. Congratulations! To redeem your tickets please print out this email and take it to the box office on the evening of the specified performance. Thank you and we hope you hope you enjoy the show!
    Best wishes,

Threepipe Communications

They seem a reputable agency
    http://www.threepipe.co.uk/

They have a contact page on their site. Why not ring them if you are worried?
  • Hi
    Have recently requested that this company adheres to their money-back guarantee, received an email confirming that they will... that was 2 months ago! BEWARE

angel2002 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just wondered if anyone else has had such a negative encounter with this company?
    Their website is still up and running.
    I signed up for entry into their monthly prize draws and was promised entry into thousands of competitions. They have been very quick to withdraw money from my credit card each month but I'm still awaiting confirmation from them. A phone call recently established that they had an entirely fictitious email for me which does not even resemble my email. I signed up for this over the telephone and giving them my credit card details was not the wisest move I've ever made :( Phone calls and emails to the company and to another company which makes the withdrawals on my account: West Quay Ltd. in Southampton have resulted in promised phone calls back to me. I'm still waiting.
    Since they are clearly in breach of contract for not providing me with any details of my so called membership, I'm thinking it might be worthwhile pursuing this in small claims court? I've spent roughly £50 now for nothing.
    To add insult to injury, someone tried illegally withdrawing money from my account last week. My credit card company was very alert and informed me. Very few UK companies have my number and security number. Obviously I'm not accusing this company, but........well it's worrying.
    Would be very interested to hear from anyone who has favourable or unfavourable views about prizedrawcentre.co.uk
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Anyone else had this scam email ~ could catch some people out. I'm not an Abbey customer ~ so know it must be a scam.,
    As scams go, I think this is quite a clever one, as they aren't being too stupid with the "winning" amount, so could draw some in.

Dear Abbey customer,

CONGRATULATIONS!

You are one of the 20 lucky winners of our Online Banking 4 Everyone Contest.
    You have been randomly selected from our database of Active Members.

You have won 500.00£ !

To make the transfer to your account click the link below and log in:

https://myonlineaccounts2.abbeynational.co.uk/CentralLogonWeb/Logon?action=prepare

Abbey National plc. Registered Office: Abbey National House, 2 Triton Square, Regent's Place, London, NW1 3AN, United Kingdom. Registered Number 2294747. Registered in England. Telephone 0870 607 6000. Calls may be recorded or monitored. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. FSA registration number 106054. For more information visit www.fsa.gov.uk/register. Abbey and the flame logo are registered trademarks.
  • furndire wrote: »
    The key is always to look at the location bar - fortunately, if you have the google toolbar, or firefox or chrome or IE etc etc, you will see something like:
    Warning: Suspected phishing site!
    The website at https://www.onr.hu has been reported as a “phishing” site

As more people install these browsers and toolbars, hopefully they will take more note of the "real" location too!
  • Hi all,

I got an e-mail a few days ago from 'PREasyJet' telling me that I had won two return EasyJet flights to Helsinki. They attached a booking form which I had to send before the end of December. The title of the e-mail was 'TimeOut Winners' which had me fooled for a while although I couldn't remember entering the competition. The dates on the e-mail also didn't match up so I e-mailed back to say it didn't make sense with no response. I only became suspicious when I had a proper look at the form and it asked for my passport number, address, date of birth etc. I have e-mailed TimeOut to ask them if they were aware of the scam but have not heard back. It is a bit scarey to think that a company as big as TimeOut could sell on your details to people like that. Unless of course it is legit. Either way it has kind of put me off comping a bit.... _pale_
  • bigac
    bigac Posts: 44 Forumite
    I had the automated phone call saying "Congratulations, you've won a cruise to the Carribean, press 9" - in an anoying American accent. Just hung up. They would always call you in person if you won.
    Best wins: Colorado holiday, psp, 2x flip video camera, Alton Towers weekend, VIP Moscow party trip вечеринка :beer:
  • bigac wrote: »
    I had the automated phone call saying "Congratulations, you've won a cruise to the Carribean, press 9" - in an anoying American accent. Just hung up. They would always call you in person if you won.
    I see this cruise scam is having a bit of a resurgence - can everyone who's had a call from these people please add themselves to the blog:
    http://www.digitaltoast.co.uk/free-imperial-majesty-nassau-cruise

I won't abuse your email address, it stays private, but I'm going to have another go at Watchdog soon, and it would help to have a few more on the list.

Thanks!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure