Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Jet2.com ONLY

Options

Comments

• NoviceAngel
    Options
    BigJock_72 wrote: »
    Is there a way to find out the reason my flight was delayed? The staff at Alicante airport told us that it was a technical fault with the aircraft(it broke down on runway at LBA) but i would like a better explanation to put in my small claims form.

Hi BigJock,

EDIT - Batman - quick of the mark there, you got there before me!

It's up to the airline to either accept your claim, or refuse it and give you a reason why, you'll get this information in their defence to your claim.

You don't need to put any reasons in your claim form, other than the basics of the delay, read Vaubans excellent guide if you haven't already.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • batman44
    Options
    Is there a way to find out the reason my flight was delayed? The staff at Alicante airport told us that it was a technical fault with the aircraft(it broke down on runway at LBA) but i would like a better explanation to put in my small claims form.

You are unlikely to get an explanation from them until you put your claim in and then may issue court proceeding before they tell you.
    Check out Vaubans Flight Delay Guide, you will be glad you did....:):):)
    Thomas Cook Claim - Settled Monarch Claim - Settled
  • BigJock_72
    Options
    So it will cost me money to find out if I have a legitimate claim due to Jet2 refusing to answer my letters properly.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    So it will cost me money to find out if I have a legitimate claim due to Jet2 refusing to answer my letters properly.

Well if the delay was a genuine EC, let's say the weather, I'm sure they would be shouting about it, the fact they don't want to tell you, would suggest that it's not a genuine EC!
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well if the delay was a genuine EC, let's say the weather, I'm sure they would be shouting about it, the fact they don't want to tell you, would suggest that it's not a genuine EC!

Exactly. If they had a proper reason, rest assured that they'd be telling you.

Yes, it will cost you money to call their bluff. Like poker. But like poker, if you win the "stake" is returned.

Edit: Oh, and if you were delayed by a technical fault then your hand has four aces. And they've got a 2 of clubs.
  • NoviceAngel
    Options
    The first unstayed Jet2 case has just hit the forum
    my case against jet2 stayed since last year, after supreme court verdict. wrote to county court requesting stay was lift. received reply from court yesterday say stay has been lifted and a hearing date 21st march 2015. bring it on 2birds. can't wait.:D

Details in the 'is your case stayed' thread

Whoop whoop !!!!!

• batman44
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    Exactly. If they had a proper reason, rest assured that they'd be telling you.

Yes, it will cost you money to call their bluff. Like poker. But like poker, if you win the "stake" is returned.

Edit: Oh, and if you were delayed by a technical fault then your hand has four aces. And they've got a 2 of clubs.

It's clear to me that airlines are only paying out on cases were the claimant has paid the fees for a hearing, testing the resolve of the claimant me thinks. I am in agreement that if the fault was clearly EC's then they would not hesitate to take it to court or would basically admit it was tech issue by asking the court for a stay in the first place for a tech issue.
    Check out Vaubans Flight Delay Guide, you will be glad you did....:):):)
    Thomas Cook Claim - Settled Monarch Claim - Settled
  • BigJock_72
    BigJock_72 Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 29 November 2014 at 8:44AM
    Options
    batman44 wrote: »
    It's clear to me that airlines are only paying out on cases were the claimant has paid the fees for a hearing, testing the resolve of the claimant me thinks. I am in agreement that if the fault was clearly EC's then they would not hesitate to take it to court or would basically admit it was tech issue by asking the court for a stay in the first place for a tech issue.

Well by them taking that approach Jet2 have lost my £3k that i spend on flights most years. I wasn't particularly bothered about compensation for the delay nor was i put off Jet2 before i tried to claim but this 'Holier than thou' attitude means i will be booking in future with anyone but them. The toothless CAA should be forcing airlines to pay legitimate claims now that the highest court in the land has ruled against them. As usual with regulatory bodies in the UK, they have been given no powers by the government to do the job they were intended to do. My lovely Tory MP Phillip Davies will also be receiving a letter shortly asking why this is so!!
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    Well by them taking that approach Jet2 have lost my £3k that i spend on flights most years. I wasn't particularly bothered about compensation for the delay nor was i put off Jet2 before i tried to claim but this 'Holier than thou' attitude means i will be booking in future with anyone but them. The toothless CAA should be forcing airlines to pay legitimate claims now that the highest court in the land has ruled against them. As usual with regulatory bodies in the UK, they have been given no powers by the government to do the job they were intended to do. My lovely Tory MP Phillip Davies will also be receiving a letter shortly asking why this is so!!

Well done Jock. That is the type of spirit that more folk need to take against Jet2 to get them to change their appalling attitude to their customers and the law.

That makes at least two of us who will not be flying with them again.

The CAA should have their NBA responsibilities removed allowing them to concentrate on other areas where they are better. A new independent (of the airlines) NBA should be created in their place.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    edited 29 November 2014 at 10:23AM
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »

The CAA should have their NBA responsibilities removed allowing them to concentrate on other areas where they are better. A new independent (of the airlines) NBA should be created in their place.

I've never understood how you can have a National Enforcement Body, that is not wholly independent of the airlines they police.

I'm full of praise for the AESA (Spanish NEB), they very quickly dealt with my claim against Jet2 and ruled in my favour years ago, but just like our own CAA they are also powerless to act. Their decision not enforceable in a British Court.

So that raises another question, if you are delayed by an English airline, flying to the UK from Spain, which NEB has (should have) jurisdiction? The answer is the Spanish NEB but they CANNOT enforce any decision that they make, the CAA just wash their hands, 'nothing to do with us gov' so again the only option is for a disgruntled passenger to take their own legal redress.

I'm afraid it's more complicated than just having a good NEB, they need cross border powers to act and I can't see that happening anytime soon!

Even an agreement that one NEBs decision can be enforced by another NEB would be a start of cooperation- yes the whole system is a mess!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure