Offshore Investing ... How Safe?

I, like many people are looking for competitive interest rates.
I have come across an Offshore company offering 6.25% for 1 year.

They do not have any governmental protection as they are a private investment company registered in the offshore area. But depending on the investment amount and period they offer direct securities provided by their affiliate company who is a licensed insurance broker and consumer loan provider in the Scandinavian countries.

Should I be concerned about how safe my investment will be?

Rebecca

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Offshore Investing ... How Safe?

Investing or saving?

Is that a deposit account or an investment?
    But depending on the investment amount and period they offer direct securities provided by their affiliate company who is a licensed insurance broker and consumer loan provider in the Scandinavian countries.

That would suggest 100% loss potential risk based investment.
    Should I be concerned about how safe my investment will be?
    If you are looking for savings then yes you should be as investments are risk based. And using non-mainstream, non-retail investment option with 100% loss potential with no consumer protection is unlikely to meet your criteria of safe.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Cashback sites: £900 | Current accounts: 11
    Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)
  • Chris75
    Chris75 Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 October 2016 at 1:39PM
    I would be very suspicious of this until I had proven it to be both what I wanted & genuine.

Who is this incredibly good offer with?

Websites are cheap & I wonder what you know about the Scandinavian loan providers.

Are you aware of P2P loans here?

Be careful.
  • DrSyn
    DrSyn Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 October 2016 at 9:50PM
    With:

Bank rate = 0.25%

Best 5 year fixed rate = 1.95%

FTSE 100 ETF tracker = 4%

Long term return expected from the UK stockmarket lets say = 7%

Without going any further common sense will lead me to the following conclusion.

If an honest company is willing to pay you 6.25% for 1 year, there must be significant risk to the money.

If a company is not honest and offers any rate, you stand to lose all of your money!

I hopes this helps.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    rebecca1 wrote: »

They do not have any governmental protection as they are a private investment company registered in the offshore area. But depending on the investment amount and period they offer direct securities provided by their affiliate company who is a licensed insurance broker and consumer loan provider in the Scandinavian countries.

So you found a juicy 6.5% return scheme, and you don't want to share it with the rest of us? Scared that it will be oversubscribed and you will only get 100 units when you asked for 10,000?

Very prudent. Don't tell anyone you found this gem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure