Current in Live and Neutral wires in FCU

13»

Comments

• I'll have a quid you've connects some the wrong place on the wall light.

I consider myself competent at electrics and recently had a new wall light that had hidden connectors, but brackets that absolutely looked like connectors.

Doing this effectively loops the live and neutral which would explain the behaviour you're seeing, and why the lights do not work.

Recheck the connections at the wall light and then if you're certain they're correct, I would agree that you need to call someone.
  • I've managed to get it working!!!

The flex from the socket to the FCU had the neutral cable snapped. It was difficult to see initially as I had buried the cables into the walls and hence I why I was looking for a logical answer without having to chase out the walls again.

Thanks to all those who have supported me and have been helpful in providing useful advice and not resorting to becoming one of the self righteous naysayers.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks to all those who have supported me and have been helpful in providing useful advice and not resorting to becoming one of the self righteous naysayers.
    There is nothing self-righteous about pointing out that you are required to conduct an initial verification of the wiring to prove that it is safe to put into service.

Did you inspect the wiring and carry out dead testing before energising, and live testing after energising? Of course you didn't.

How can you state with any certainty that it is safe to be put into service? Of course you can't.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    I've managed to get it working!!!

The flex from the socket to the FCU had the neutral cable snapped. It was difficult to see initially as I had buried the cables into the walls and hence I why I was looking for a logical answer without having to chase out the walls again.

Ha! What did I say!!!

Glad its fixed.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • The flex from the socket to the FCU had the neutral cable snapped.

I'm with Risteard, if you were getting two different voltages at opposite ends of the same conductor it should have been obvious immediately that the cable was broken. Have you asked yourself what you did to the cable to fracture it, or whether there are any other fractures in your work waiting to cause a fire?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure