Buying Past It's Sell by Date Food

Hi There

I read about a website on MSE that sells 'past it's sell by date' food. I wonder if there would be a market for this sort of thing on the High Street!? What do big supermarkets do with food 'past it's sell by date'? Throw it in the bin I imagine!?

Anyway, if someone wants to open a shop selling out of date food - you've already got one potential customer!

:money:

Comments

• you can buy stuff like this from birmingham city centre markets. theres a stall that has mainly dairy stuff. you get yogurts from asda sainsburys etc.... there areother various stalls sellling crisps biscuits chololates etc...
  • Obi167
    Obi167 Posts: 290 Forumite
    what's the website?
  • There is a whole thread on the topic of 'out of date' food and where to get it here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1460103
  • zenseeker
    zenseeker Posts: 4,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    you cannot actually legally sell items past their "sell by date", I think you are getting confused with "Best before dates" which you can legally sell, but must be reduced.
    We have removed your signature - please contact the forum team if you are not sure why - Forum Team
  • We got a load of whitworths dried fruits today from Poundstretchers, use by was Jan 09, and they were down to 29p for a big bag of Cranberries- great for baking- or 10p for snack sizes. I'm informed they were lovely!
    Only dead fish go with the flow...
  • Mistymaid
    Mistymaid Posts: 412 Forumite
    zenseeker wrote: »
    you cannot actually legally sell items past their "sell by date", I think you are getting confused with "Best before dates" which you can legally sell, but must be reduced.

Isn't it the 'use by' dates that you can't sell - stuff that is fresh and on a steep decline after that date (eggs, fish, meat etc) Best before, just denotes the product is at it's most premium quality before the date given, doesn't mean it's not safe to eat after that date.
  • Hotspur
    Hotspur Posts: 528 Forumite
    zenseeker wrote: »

Still confusion about this I see. To clarify, in law there isn't such a thing as 'Sell by' date which is marked on by the manufacturer, primarily to assist with stock control.

The law requires all food to be marked with one of the following:

'Use by' - found on perishable foods where there may be a risk to the health of a person once the date has expired. It's illegal to sell food past the 'Use by' date.

'Best before' - found on non perishable food which may not look, taste or be at its best once the date has expired. Food may be legally sold past the 'best before' date. There is no obligation to reduce the price.
  • Tesco's get rid of there out of date food by sending it to home delivery customers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
  • jaytin
    jaytin Posts: 473 Forumite
    Tesco's get rid of there out of date food by sending it to home delivery customers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Hahahaha oh that is so true! I refuse to use Tesco Home delivery after the last disastrous episode of items already on the use-by date and a whole tray (14 items) that went missing! The CS person actually suggested (it was Friday night) that we could have it re-delivered on Monday!!! Luckily the driver found it and brought it back an hour later. :eek:
  • Rick38
    Rick38 Posts: 31 Forumite
    I would never ever eat food past its 'use by' date. I have no problem with 'best before' dates though.
    I have mentioned on another thread that any 'encouragement' people give others to eat food past its 'use by' date is completely irresponsible. The use by date is there for a reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure