What happens if my flight is cancelled due to snow?

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We used them in Sept 09. The flight timings are good for us, as we have to get an early shuttle to Gatwick in case of trouble.

We only decided to go to DS's at last minute and the only BA flights were expensive, even using half airmiles.

Enjoy your club flight! And have a good Christmas.

Pol

xx
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Letzer
    Letzer Posts: 14 Forumite
    Hi

Does anyone know if you get a full refund (to the penny), when a flight is canceled by the airline?

I was due to fly to Dublin on Thursday last, the airport was closed and Flybe canceled the flight, I chose a refund rather than to re-schedule. However, when I was on Flybe's website applying for my refund, they asked two questions:

1. Was your flight canceled? - I replied yes
    2. Do you want to cancel your return flight? - obviously I replied yes, due to cause and effect i.e. I can not return from a destination that I have not traveled to in the first place!

But I am concerned that Flybe will not refund the full amount. Does anyone know what "wiggle" room airlines have on this? Also, they have advised me that a refund will take up to 28 days and that my bank may take longer to refund my account. What is that all about?

Many thanks for any help on this one
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What is "wiggle" room?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Letzer
    Letzer Posts: 14 Forumite
    "wiggle" room = their opportunity not to refund in full. As I had to cancel my return flight
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What do think they are going to knock off your refund amount?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Hi,

I had a package holiday (i.e. flights + accomodation) booked with Qwerty Travel but this had to be cancelled because of the snow disruption at Gatwick Airport.

I've asked them for a refund but they have told me they can only give me a refund of the flights (with Easyjet) which they have now paid, and that I should chase Easyjet for my accomodation costs. Having called Easyjet, I was told they don't refund accomodation costs for disrupted holidays.

Is there any path I could go down to try and reclaim my holiday's accomodation costs? I'm thinking I have to try and chase the travel insurance company (£70 excess I believe :() or failing that a long shot may be going cap in hand to VISA's debit card chargeback scheme... any other ideas/rights I may have (I would've thought the travel agent might have had more obligations).

Kind thanks in advance to any wise MoneySavers who are able to assist!
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 December 2010 at 7:17PM
    I had a package holiday (i.e. flights + accomodation) booked with Qwerty Travel but this had to be cancelled because of the snow disruption at Gatwick Airport

Firstly you didn't have a package holiday cancelled. You had flights and hotel booked through an agent (Qwerty travel). Subtle difference. Your flight and hotel bookings were totally separate. Flights booked with easyJet, accomodation booked with an accomodation provider (probably stated on your documentation somewhere) Easyjet couldn't get you to the destination so have refunded you. They have no responsibility for any accomodation you may have booked.

The hotel provider could still provide the rooms, they were there for you. Granted not your fault you couldn't use them, not their fault either though. I think you need to double check the terms of your hotel booking with Qwerty Travel. Sometimes you can get refunds, but it will depend on their terms, and also those of the accomodation provider.

Visa chargeback probably can't help you. That covers non-provision of service. And I've already said the service could still be provided (hotels room were available). Out of interest did Qwerty charge you one amount for your booking, or two amounts, when they billed you? The only reason I ask because if it was one amount, you could theoretically claim you paid them £xxx for a holiday that you then didn't get. However, I suspect its in their T&Cs that you are not booking a package, just a flight and hotel, so I doubt that angle would work either. This leaves the travel insurance I'm afraid, they should pay if it covers weather disruption; and you will just have to take the hit on the excess.

This is the subtle difference between a package and a flight+hotel. If it had been a Thomson/Thomas Cook etc package holiday, you would have been refunded everything, as you book a Holiday, all on one contract.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As advised, your only remedy is your travel insurance-EJ have no responsibility for any consequential loss arising.
    Just curious as to why you booked EJ flights through a travel agent though-why didn't you book the flights yourself online and the accom through the agent?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • sorry to hijack this thread, but can anyone help.
    we are due to fly liverpool-belfast ith easyjet on wednesday (22nd) for christmas. the snow has started today in both places and flights to belfast for today have been cancelled.
    IF this keeps up til wednesday and my flight is cancelled, i know i can choose to re-book or refund, but what happens if they reopen 23rd dec, i assume those flights will already be booked up, so would i actually stand a chance of getting on a flight before christmas?
    if i get a refund how long does it actually take to get it?
    thanks for any help!!
    xxxx
    :beer:
    Debt 1: Personal Loan £88 per month til 2010
    Debt 2: Overdraft of £900 limit, now down to £500, should be down to £200 by end of April and then cleared end of May
    Debt 3: Credit Card £500 - haven't spent on it in a long time, so just to pay off the £500
  • Bumping an old thread here - my mum is due to fly over from bucharest to manchester via amsterdam this morning for my sons christening but it looks like her flight has been cancelled when checking amsterdams arrivals (http:// www .flightstats.com/go/FlightStatus/flightStatusByAirport.do) flight number 1372.

The booking is with KLM, and in the airport they are still claiming they do not know if it is cancelled or not (maybe saying that to manage expectations?).

The first few posts of this thread outlining rights of a re-schedule or refund are great, but on the KLM website they say nothing about giving you another flight and only mention a refund. This would be ok, but to book another flight would cost us about £150-200 more which we dont have. She really needs to get a flight now/next couple of days.

If we do ask for a re-shedule, do we have a good chance of getting it? And is the re-scheduled flight date at the airports discretion? Thanks to anyone who can help me understand a little better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure