PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Stardrops: A Users Guide

Options

Comments

• Angelselondon
    Options
    sadiedoll wrote:

Also Zoflora do a concetrated Anti bacterial spray, which I picked up for 99p in Sainsbury's - scent was 'Rainfresh' - really nice.

Zoflora is made by the same people as Stardrops, my Nan used it for years.
    HOW MUCH CAN YOU SAVE?: OLYMPIC CHALLENGE 2008
    BRONZE 10% SILVER 25% GOLD 50% PLATINUM 75%
    'Don't Stop me now, I'm cooking on Gas!' - Peggy Ollerenshaw - Hi-De-Hi!
  • mumoftwo
    mumoftwo Posts: 1,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Sadiedoll, we have a Semichem and a poundshop. I will look for Startips there.
  • pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mumoftwo wrote:
    The only thing is, I read that people use it in their bathrooms and on their floors. Stardrops isn't anti-bacterial is it?

Detergents remove bacteria by trapping them inside the detergent and they are then easily wiped away.

Antibacterials actually kill the bacteria in situ, but you need to leave them on the surface for a minimum of 2 minutes for them to be effective. Ideally you would then clean it again to remove any dead bacteria from the surface.

Antibacterials aren't always a good thing, there are worries about bacteria becoming resistant to household cleaners. Especially because most people do not leave them on long enough to actually kill the bacteria, and exposure without killing them is the way most resistance builds up.

Normal detergents are very effective at dealing with bacteria without having to worry about resistance or the negative effects of killing all the 'good' bacteria around as well. So unless you have someone in the household who is immune compromised, or particularly weak/ill/etc. You are probably better off ditching the antibacterials and just sticking to detergents.
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • RacyRed
    RacyRed Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sadiedoll wrote:
    If people want disinfectant, can I recommend the pink sister of Stardrops, Startips? I use that in the loo/work surfaces and it smells lovely. There's also a pine one (Starpine) which is green, but its a bit pine-y for me.......

Also Zoflora do a concetrated Anti bacterial spray, which I picked up for 99p in Sainsbury's - scent was 'Rainfresh' - really nice.

Have to agree with the Rainfresh one, it is brilliant. The citrus one smells nice too.

Stardrops - Brilliant at cleaning Patio slabs.
    My first reply was witty and intellectual but I lost it so you got this one instead :D
    Proud to be a chic shopper
    :cool:
  • tracyk
    tracyk Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Antibacterials aren't always a good thing, there are worries about bacteria becoming resistant to household cleaners. Especially because most people do not leave them on long enough to actually kill the bacteria, and exposure without killing them is the way most resistance builds up"

I truly, truly believe this - I think all these new anti-bacterial cleaners & the way everyone is so 'sterile' focussed, is causing loads of health problems.

Back to the subject - my D11yoS managed to get green felt tip pen ink all over his cream waterproof jacket.... a quick squirt of neat Stardrops & a whizz in the WM - no sign of any green ink whatsoever - FAB :T
  • mumoftwo
    mumoftwo Posts: 1,903 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks pboae, I never thought of it like that. I am not sterile mad, far from it, I guess you get "scared" of things like salmonella and MRSA and other nasties. What you wrote makes sense.
  • grannybroon
    grannybroon Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't found any other products locally apart from Zoflora which I find works well alongside Stardrops. We painted this morning and as usual I got covered, Neat Stardrops took it off and then loads of hand stuff to make sure I didn't react. I don't usually have problem but thought I would take the precaution with the hand creme

Hands fine..

GB
  • grannybroon
    grannybroon Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Options
    On the hygiene front

Don't be too clean. I used to do tops etc when kids were wee (and still do) but I do think that if you overclean kids don't pick up resistance. I sterilised bottles but only scalded plates and we never had serious tummy issues. I really think folk go over score with cleanliness these days. We have to build up immunity while maintaining hygiene standards.

GB
  • skintlass
    skintlass Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    I picked up the last bottle Asda had today - I've not used it yet but all the tips sound really useful.
    Never let your sucesses go to your head and never let your failures go to your heart.:beer:
  • sophie_maxwell
    Options
    I simply can't find stardrops anywhere :cry:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills