Credit Card Shuffle Discussion area

Options

Comments

• JobCashThanks
    Options
    Hi, advice very much needed please, my husband wants to reduce his debts (and the rates he is paying on them) which are as follows:

Barclaycard = £4k debt @ 14.9% £6k limit (Average pays £260 per mth)
    Barclays Overdraft = £3k debt @ 15% £3k limit (Avg £20 per mth)
    Tesco Credit card = £3k debt @ 0% but only until end June 09 then approx 16% (4k limit) (Avg =Min month payment of £100)

Northern Rock Loan = 7k @ 6.4% (54 months remaining) ( Avg £125 per mth)

We are considering shifting the Bcard/Tesco debt (after end June) to the Capital One 6.9% until Jan 2012 (He has a great credit rating and earns enough to qualify).
    There is no way he would be able to shift the debt in under one year so there is little point in credit card tarting (he has already done a bit of that in the past with Virgin,Egg and HSBC cards).

What is the best remedy for the overdraft though? Would Capital One take that on too? I have seen from another thread that only special cards will consider taking on overdraft debts.

Also, are we best keeping the NR loan where it is? There are no penalties for early repayment.

Lastly, supposing we move the Credit card debt to a long-term, low rate deal, what would be the best card for spending thereafter as currently my husband pays off approx £260-£300 per month on barclaycard but also spends £400 average on it too which is costing approx £450 pa. He would still need a credit card to spend on each month, but ideally at a lower rate!

Sorry for the essay, but you guys are the best to help! We will await with eager anticipation!
  • kbel_2
    kbel_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I currently have a standard Egg card with no balance. I have a balance on a Halifax card of about 50% of my limit at 13.9%, Halifax have offered me a 5.8% rate for life if I transfer new debt to them. I'm thinking of transfering the existing Halifax debt to Egg (currently at standard APR so no balance transfer rate) and also transfering my overdraft to take egg at the same time. Then I want to shift this consolidated debt back to Halifax at the reduced rate. Will Egg charge me for the time I have the debt with them even if I manage to transfer it back by the payment date and are there any other hidden pitfalls to my plan? I do have a contingency plan if Halifax withdraw the 5.8% offer when I try to move back. And yes I am planning to eventually reduce the horrid debt!
  • Lee_UK_3
    Options
    My mother-in-law has racked up £19,000 on two credit cards, both at high rates of interest.

Possibly because of her age, she is being refused 0% interest cards & the stress of the debt is causing her health to suffer.

She is paying over £200 per month per card, but seems to only be reducing the actual debt by £20.

What options may be available to her, as she is anxious to clear the debt (for fear she may pass on before they've been sorted and, therefore, pass the debt on to her family)?

Thank you.
  • pelham9
    pelham9 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 23 July 2009 at 9:22PM
    Options
    Lee UK.

The debt cannot be passed to her family.

The debt will be paid out of her estate and if there is not enough in her estate to pay it all off the remaining debt will be exstinguished.
    Titch :)
  • EveCalypso
    Options
    We have never really spent on our Credit Card (RBS) as we kept if for emergencies and internet purchases mostly.

However, we are in the strange situation that we need to buy flights to two very expensive destinations at short notice. Unfortunately the total cost is more than our Credit Limit (£3500). We need another £2000.

We are wondering what the best way is to go about this. Do we just simply get a new CCard? We never owned more than this one - we hate the idea of debt! Do we try and get a 0% Card... Transfer this balance and then buy the 2nd set of tickets on the existing CC and then transfer that balance too..? We forsee this being paid off well within a year.

Never done this kind of weird shuffling before! Is there another way? Can I phone RBS? Embarrassingly I can not even tell you what rate I am getting with this Ccard - will need to phone and find out!

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Regards,
    EvE
  • CannyJock
    CannyJock Posts: 3,838 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 August 2009 at 4:43PM
    Options
    EveCalypso wrote: »
    We have never really spent on our Credit Card (RBS) as we kept if for emergencies and internet purchases mostly.

However, we are in the strange situation that we need to buy flights to two very expensive destinations at short notice. Unfortunately the total cost is more than our Credit Limit (£3500). We need another £2000.

We are wondering what the best way is to go about this. Do we just simply get a new CCard? We never owned more than this one - we hate the idea of debt! Do we try and get a 0% Card... Transfer this balance and then buy the 2nd set of tickets on the existing CC and then transfer that balance too..? We forsee this being paid off well within a year.

Never done this kind of weird shuffling before! Is there another way? Can I phone RBS? Embarrassingly I can not even tell you what rate I am getting with this Ccard - will need to phone and find out!

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Regards,
    EvE

Tickets are £2750 each?

Buy one. Pay £2000 to your card as soon as the purchase shows. Buy the other one as soon as the payment shows. Your balance will be £3500.

If you had more time you could get an Amex 5% cashback card. http://www.stoozing.com/cashback.php
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • EveCalypso
    Options
    Hi CannyJock,

No, the first set of tickets was £2200, the second set will be £3500 odd.
    The second set needs to be paid end of August.
    Thank u for the advice!

EvE
  • CannyJock
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi CannyJock,

No, the first set of tickets was £2200, the second set will be £3500 odd.
    The second set needs to be paid end of August.
    Thank u for the advice!

EvE

Ah, then buy first set, pay for them, then buy second set. So long as you make the first payment quickly, you'll have the £3500 available to spend on the second set and can then pay that as normal when you get your statement. Enjoy the trip :)
    "A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five." - Groucho Marx
  • EveCalypso
    Options
    Hehe,
    If it was that simple I would have done it!
    No, I can not pay the full £2200 this month. No way. I want to pay both sets off.
    So what I need is something that I can put the 5700 on (bearing in mind my CC limit is £3500 I think) at the lowest possible rate and pay it off.
    Thanks,
    EvE
  • CannyJock
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 August 2009 at 7:51PM
    Options
    Hehe,
    If it was that simple I would have done it!
    No, I can not pay the full £2200 this month. No way. I want to pay both sets off.
    So what I need is something that I can put the 5700 on (bearing in mind my CC limit is £3500 I think) at the lowest possible rate and pay it off.
    Thanks,
    EvE

Ah, in that case go for a 0% purchase card. Full list of them here on the stoozing site. No fees involved and you get the 0% period to repay the full amount. Just use the new card to pay for them - easier than messing about with balance transfers and fees. Tesco Clubcard card would normally be the first choice unless you have a Halifax account?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure