Closing HL account post bereavement

Hi
My mum passed away last year and had a vantage account with HL with around 14 funds which I think are unit trusts. (How do i check)?
I need to close this account to share the proceeds with my brother, but with my share I plan to put the proceeds into my HL account. Will I be charged for taking it out of my mums account ?. Is now a good time to get back into the market as we seem to be on a high.
The value of my mums account is around 150K

Many thanks

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You are the executor? You advised HL of the death? You have probate?
  • xylophone
    I have just noticed that according to an earlier post

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71253086#post71253086

your mother died in August 2016.

Did you advise HL?

I ask because according to their T&Cs

A36 - death
    Please note this section A36 does not apply to the SIPP.
    On your death we will continue to rely on these Terms. If you have an
    HL Vantage ISA, its tax-free status will end on your death. Your
    representatives should send us either the original or a certified copy of
    your death certificate.
    Where Accounts are held in joint names we will
    treat the survivor as the only person interested in any securities or monies
    and the Account will be re-registered into the name of the survivor, but
    in all other respects the Account will remain unchanged. Otherwise, on
    notification of death access to your Account will be frozen. Once we have
    received an original copy of the grant of probate your representatives will
    be able to sell or transfer your investments, but not buy investments. If
    your representatives do not instruct us to close your Account within six
    months we will return your assets (less any relevant annual charges for
    holding investments) to your estate as either stock or cash, at our
    discretion.
    Interest will be paid until the date of Account closure. Any
    Loyalty Bonus will be paid in the form of cash and not units.

Presumably you have a list of your mother's investments.

The details for each on HL will indicate OEIC/UT/IT etc.
  • Hi
    Yes I did advise them soon after of my mothers death just it has been this long to sort other issues out and this is the last account to close now.
    Yes I am the executor and have probate

So back to my original question would it be better to take out as cash what other options ?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    flopsy1973 wrote: »
    Hi
    Yes I did advise them soon after of my mothers death just it has been this long to sort other issues out and this is the last account to close now.
    Yes I am the executor and have probate

So back to my original question would it be better to take out as cash what other options ?

As you have to split the proceeds with your brother keep it simple, take the cash.
  • xylophone
    Your brother wants the cash?

You want to keep the investments?

Sell half of each investment and pass the proceeds to your brother.

Enquire of HL how to transfer the investments in specie to your HL account.

If you don't wish to keep the investments, sell all, transfer half the proceeds to your brother and enquire of HL about transferring the cash to your HL account.

Check on CGT position.

https://www.co-oplegalservices.co.uk/media-centre/articles-jan-apr-2017/capital-gains-tax-payable-by-executors/
  • flopsy1973
    flopsy1973 Posts: 624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 October 2017 at 9:10PM
    CGT had not considered that so will we be liable for this with this amount. Also I will be sharing another 90k between the 2 of us from other investments that I have closed and have moved into a separate holding account over the last year.
    With some of accounts I have shared it out directly with my brother over the last year?
    How do I stand here in tax implications i thought as we are exempt from IHT it would just be matter of sharing out estate

thanks
  • flopsy1973 wrote: »
    CGT had not considered that so will we be liable for this with this amount. Also I will be sharing another 90k between the 2 of us from other investments that I have closed and have moved into a separate holding account over the last year.
    With some of accounts I have shared it out directly with my brother over the last year?
    How do I stand here in tax implications i thought as we are exempt from IHT it would just be matter of sharing out estate.

Many thanks ]
  • dales1
    dales1 Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    CGT only applies to gains which have arisen since the date of death.
    IE only to increases in the value of the investments between that date and the date of sale.

The link in Xylophone's post will hopefully explain it for you, and the reliefs that are available.
  • Ok thanks for that, I dont think there was much gain in the assets between her death and when the investements were cashed in.
    So do i include interest on her various bank accounts?
    The HL account i was originally asking about this had a large proportion in ISA's these will be exempt?

The grant of probate has been made in my name even though my brother will be sharing the proceeds equally. Also my son has been left a sum of money by her.
    So should i have put their names on the probate as they will have their allowance to use too then, or as administrator can i just give them the money? how is this all declared i could do with some further information
  • xylophone
    edited 19 October 2017 at 5:38PM
    There is a difference between an executor and a beneficiary even though an executor can also be a beneficiary.

With regard to ISA tax status on death, see HL T&C's and post 3 above.

Assets like shares and houses have a probate value.

The executor would compare the value at date of disposal with the probate value to establish any gain.

The link above discusses using the executor's CGT allowance as against a beneficiary's own CGT allowance.

When disposing of assets, an Executor should be mindful of whether a sale will result in Capital Gains Tax being payable. If so, an Executor should consider whether a sale on behalf of a beneficiary/beneficiaries in their (ie the Executor's or Executors')capacity as Bare Trustee would mean that Capital Gains Tax could be avoided.

For example, if a property or shares were being sold at a capital gain of over £11,100 it may be advantageous to appropriate (ie transfer in specie) the property, or shares of the property, to the beneficiaries prior to sale. This way each beneficiary would have their own annual Capital Gains Tax allowance available to offset against any gain.

For more information see How to Be an Executor of a Will.

If you are not sure of how to proceed, you could consult a solicitor/tax accountant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure