Fundraising a huge sum of money - help

A family friend has suffered from a catastrophic life event that has seen her severely disabled son live in hospital for a year, 8 months of those he has been considered "bed blocking".

Their house needs £60K worth of work done to allow her son to come home from the hospital. The maximum government grant for this is £30K and it's all been agreed that her son will get this grant. Social services won't carry out any of the work until the other £30K is raised.

We have various plans under way; sponsored events, raffles, he has a gofundme page and we're looking at a Facebook and Twitter account.

How do we make sure we do all this legally? Do we need a special bank account?

It's not a charity as it will only benefit this family.

We are based in Scotland

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,892
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I'd say you don't NEED a special bank account, but personally I think that would make life much simpler. If I wanted to write you a cheque, for example, and you said "oh just make it out to me and I'll pass it on", the cheque would likely be smaller than if you said "it's for the Friends of Fred" account.

I don't know how easy it is these days to open accounts with an 'odd' name like that. I know DH had several 'house' bank accounts in his student days, so the account would be called by the house's address. They were just the same as personal accounts.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • cally6008
    cally6008 Posts: 7,629
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Get in touch with BBCs DIY SOS and see if Nick and his team can help out in some way
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    I'm fund raising myself, and we just use a savings account to store the money.

£28,500 raised (inc remortgage of house) £12k to go.

Just been interested in a firewalk about £1500 to pay for, but if you can get 100 to do it, break it down per person £15 + sponsorship.

Good luck its frustrating and painfully slow. But Nov 18 I have my date for HSCT I have no rich friends or family so understand the frustration, but also keep in mind of being crystal clear at all times whoever is looking after the money
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    cally6008 wrote: »
    Get in touch with BBCs DIY SOS and see if Nick and his team can help out in some way

We have an application in but it's going nowhere fast. He's desperate to come home, it's heartbreaking!
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Mupette wrote: »
    I'm fund raising myself, and we just use a savings account to store the money.

£28,500 raised (inc remortgage of house) £12k to go.

Just been interested in a firewalk about £1500 to pay for, but if you can get 100 to do it, break it down per person £15 + sponsorship.

Good luck its frustrating and painfully slow. But Nov 18 I have my date for HSCT I have no rich friends or family so understand the frustration, but also keep in mind of being crystal clear at all times whoever is looking after the money

I like this idea, the lad in question can't walk and most of his friends are in a similar position but it's something I've not thought of, you're encouraging me to think big!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure