commercial software for hmrc tax return?

Hi All
I hope someone can advise - I am a director of a very small company (no employees) and have sweated blood and tears to write up my first year of company accounts. Have succeeded in submitting these to companies house, have completed self tax assessment all online but now for the big one, my business tax return...HMRC have reponded that I must download commercial software to submit my return. So far my research is bringing up companies that are provding the software for agents and larger firms. I just want a simple, cheap one to use myself for this one return. Can anyone offer help?

Comments

• Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    edited 17 October 2017 at 10:58AM
    Hi All
    I hope someone can advise - I am a director of a very small company (no employees) and have sweated blood and tears to write up my first year of company accounts. Have succeeded in submitting these to companies house, have completed self tax assessment all online but now for the big one, my business tax return...HMRC have reponded that I must download commercial software to submit my return. So far my research is bringing up companies that are provding the software for agents and larger firms. I just want a simple, cheap one to use myself for this one return. Can anyone offer help?

Why are you not in a position to use HMRC's own software?
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/corporation-tax-use-hmrcs-free-filing-software

In fact, when you submitted your accounts to companies house, I'm surprised you were not offered the option of also filing to HMRC at the same time.

If you cannot use the HMRC software, here is a list of commercial software suppliers
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/corporation-tax-commercial-software-suppliers/corporation-tax-commercial-software-suppliers
  • Thanks for that, Aquamania
    When I started the process of submitting my accounts through the hmrc portal I was asked a series of questions - because my company rents out property (only one residential let and one holiday let) and takes in over £5200 in rent we do not qualify to use the hmrc software.
    I did get the list of approved software suppliers but am struggling to find one that offers the software for a user who is not an agent and only wants to send in one set of accounts
    Meantime, I did find one company who does, but they were very rude and abrupt when I asked the simple question of did the software work with Open Office so I would prefer not to use them as I know I will probably need a bit of support in using the software (being new to all this but still determined to do myself!)
    I shall continue to look through the list...!
  • I use taxcalc - from Arorah software
    I am a sole trader but they do lots of versions including ltd co versions.
    baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport