Using 4G for Home Broadband?

2»

Comments

• Marvqn1
    Marvqn1 Posts: 634 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Unless you've got very deep pockets, mobile broadband is just too expensive for heavy data usage such as regular usage of video streaming services.

EE's 4GEE home broadband allows you to buy addons, which are up to £25 for 20GB. So you could use lots of data if your willing to pay for it.
  • mxxx
    mxxx Posts: 100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    cookie365 wrote: »
    Is cable through Virgin Media available?

Sadly not, plus its a new estate and they are continuing to build houses (estimated another 2 years of building) so if capacity does become available its likely to get snapped up very quickly. I think I need to ask around our neighbours and see if anyone has managed to get fibre or not.
  • mxxx
    mxxx Posts: 100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Has fibre been available on the cabinet for long? People move, people cancel, and so on. When this happens, that fibre slot will then become available. You don't necessarily need to wait until the cabinet is upgraded, which can be years away - you need to just check regularly.

I was in a similar situation and checked daily first thing. After just over a month or so, when checking, it said it was available so left it at that, checked with my partner later that day, and went back to order it but, by that time, it was no longer available.

Repeated the process and, after another few weeks, it showed as available again so placed the order there and then and has been fine ever since :)

Just an option to consider :)
    That sounds like a great idea in theory however according to sky the cabinet is showing as having availability when they place the order but Openreach then reject the order as its full. According to the woman at Sky some cabinets have a spare fibre port for testing etc and in this case its causing the cabinet to show as having availability. Thus theres no way of knowing until I place an order then wait.... frustrating even more! I think what i'll do is pop in town in a bit and see if I can pick up a 4G dongle or MiFi on a rolling contract so I can test it and see how it fares.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    mxxx wrote: »
    That sounds like a great idea in theory however according to sky the cabinet is showing as having availability when they place the order but Openreach then reject the order as its full. According to the woman at Sky some cabinets have a spare fibre port for testing etc and in this case its causing the cabinet to show as having availability. Thus theres no way of knowing until I place an order then wait.... frustrating even more! I think what i'll do is pop in town in a bit and see if I can pick up a 4G dongle or MiFi on a rolling contract so I can test it and see how it fares.

No need. Look here
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport