PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi. I'm in. Got to belt tighten, but I'm on an annual budget and on track so far so I'll just be careful.

My spending pattern is going to change drastically though - I used to shop at the Aldi and Lidl at work and then locally for top ups. Lots of top ups. I didn't really have a 'shopping day' although I meal plan.

So I had very few NSD's. This MUST change. I am going to try and do 1 weekly shop at Lidl, and 1 at Aldi on two different days (they are in completely different directions) when I am going past for other reasons.

Must stay out of Waitrose. Very bad for Fat food snacking. I'll be getting my YNAB budget up to date today and there is £25 in the budget for non-specific spends in the month.

Will try and keep today a NSD
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Kittencat
    Kittencat Posts: 699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good morning lovely people xx

Quick question if I may?

Do you count the odd bottle of wine/beer in with your groceries

Xx
  • Emma45622
    Emma45622 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Good morning,

Newbie here, this is my first post of the forums.

I'm in for June please, I'm setting my budget for

£280

For family of 2 adults, 2 children under 4 and 1 cat.
    Snack foods is our downfall, we get through a lot of them and we are trying to find better ways to make them ourselves.
    We've reduced our monthly spend a fair amount already by meal planning, making our own bread, cooking ahead and having a master shopping list alongside our weekly list to take to the shop but I know we can shave it down even more.
  • Emma45622
    Emma45622 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First shop of the month

Aldi - £73.06
  • Kittencat wrote: »

Quick question if I may?

Xx
    No! But then again you can't buy alcohol at the supermarket here either
    My grocery budget is strictly food, toiletries and cleaning
    If I can afford wine out of my wages after I get whatever else we need then I buy it
    Love people use things. The opposite never works.
  • amandaatnumber7
    amandaatnumber7 Posts: 183 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 1 June 2017 at 10:13AM
    I'd love to know how you manage it, Amanda! I'm making every meal for all four of us out of our budget; Mr Expert and I both take lunch rather than buy it, and the girls have packed lunches of course. I shop at Aldi as much as possible, I buy meat at the butcher which is better quality and about the same price, I do my vegetable shopping at the grocer's and change meal plans if I find bargains, we have veg meals at least twice a week, I try and bake for school lunches where possible, and the meat I buy tends to be cheap cuts. This week I bought 500g lamb mince for a moussaka with homegrown eggplant, a roasting chicken that will do for two meals and some sausages. I put pulses in a lot of things, so I bulk out bolognese with red lentils, make cuban pork with black beans, make lamb stew with leftover roasts and add pearl barley...

I do still buy occasional treats, like I buy muesli bars for lunches, a 2L bottle of Coke once a week and a bottle of nice cordial, and Mr Expert buys us a bag of crisps to share maybe once a fortnight, but that's not accounting for the extra $200 on its own!

If anything above jumps out at you that I could improve I would be super, super grateful.
    I shop the specials, and then work out a meal plan with what I've bought unless I have quite a bit in then I'll splurge on a big joint of meat which we'll get 2 meals out of.
    Generally I buy 2 meals of mince, a chicken meal, something like homemade pizzas or burgers, a roast - depending whats on special , now the weather is getting cool I've started making soups and a couple of leftover meals.
    I don't buy juice or cordial unless its a special occasion, the boys have a milo in the mornings then it's plain milk or water (there was a time I refused to buy milo and only gave them cocoa)
    Hubby likes coke but that comes out of his wages not the grocery budget as well as my wine comes out of my wages not the grocery budget
    I don't buy chips, muesli bars and snack type foods, but I do buy biscuits - cheap ones like wafers, milk arrowroot, gingernuts and one of the women I follow on Instagram said she makes a rule of never buy fruit and veg over $3 kg - that's a bit hard here in the west but I've capped mine at $5 kg
    We also have a little veggie patch which helps
    Pancakes on the weekend as a 'treat' but cheap as chips
    I also make everything from scratch as hubby is lactose and gluten intolerant and my 2 little boys are sensitive to artificial colours and like you I bake cakes/slices. I do buy ice cream every week as a treat but its only ever the plain home brand vanilla and they don't complain as long as there is some 100's and 1000's to go on top :rotfl:
    Sometimes I get lucky with reduced meats and I'll stock up.
    Aldi has been great! we finally got it here in Perth last year and its helped drive prices down at the other big 2 supermarkets
    Sorry I've gone on a bit, hope that helps :)
    Love people use things. The opposite never works.
  • Kittencat wrote: »

Quick question if I may?

Xx

Nope from here as well. I don't drink; alcohol is a separate budget line item for Mr Expert.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • I shop the specials, and then work out a meal plan with what I've bought unless I have quite a bit in then I'll splurge on a big joint of meat which we'll get 2 meals out of.
    Generally I buy 2 meals of mince, a chicken meal, something like homemade pizzas or burgers, a roast - depending whats on special , now the weather is getting cool I've started making soups and a couple of leftover meals.
    I don't buy juice or cordial unless its a special occasion, the boys have a milo in the mornings then it's plain milk or water (there was a time I refused to buy milo and only gave them cocoa)
    Hubby likes coke but that comes out of his wages not the grocery budget as well as my wine comes out of my wages not the grocery budget
    I don't buy chips, muesli bars and snack type foods, but I do buy biscuits - cheap ones like wafers, milk arrowroot, gingernuts and one of the women I follow on Instagram said she makes a rule of never buy fruit and veg over $3 kg - that's a bit hard here in the west but I've capped mine at $5 kg
    We also have a little veggie patch which helps
    Pancakes on the weekend as a 'treat' but cheap as chips
    I also make everything from scratch as hubby is lactose and gluten intolerant and my 2 little boys are sensitive to artificial colours and like you I bake cakes/slices. I do buy ice cream every week as a treat but its only ever the plain home brand vanilla and they don't complain as long as there is some 100's and 1000's to go on top :rotfl:
    Sometimes I get lucky with reduced meats and I'll stock up.
    Aldi has been great! we finally got it here in Perth last year and its helped drive prices down at the other big 2 supermarkets
    Sorry I've gone on a bit, hope that helps :)

Well it does, and I'm very grateful, but I'm still mystified because the differences I can spot don't come to much. I do similar meals, and I only shop seasonal veg, that sort of thing. I think I'm going to spend this month tracking the grocery budget and breaking it down into categories so I can see how much we really are spending on processed foods. It might be an eye opener! Thanks so much for taking the time.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Well it does, and I'm very grateful, but I'm still mystified because the differences I can spot don't come to much. I do similar meals, and I only shop seasonal veg, that sort of thing. I think I'm going to spend this month tracking the grocery budget and breaking it down into categories so I can see how much we really are spending on processed foods. It might be an eye opener! Thanks so much for taking the time.

I realise it's different in Aus but I also only buy my toiletries, cleaning products and store-cupboard things when they are on offer. I only buy one if I have run out and no offers but if they are on offer I buy several (how many, depends on my store-cupboard budget at that point). I have not paid full price for shower stuff, laundry detergent or tins of food for two years plus now. I got my budget together by "banking" the savings I made when I shopped the offers.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Kittencat wrote: »

Quick question if I may?

Xx

I think some people do and some don't. I don't as I have a regular order of a case of wine that arrives every other month so it's something I've already planned in. Some people just have a separate booze budget. It's whatever works for you.

I've started off the month with a supermarket delivery of £44.50 as I needed to get some ready meals and bits and bobs for my lovely MIL to make life easy for her as she is looking after our 4 year old while we go to the Lakes for the weekend. This will be our first weekend away without him so it'll be lovely and strange at the same time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure