Ryanair cuts free check-in window to just four days

From 1 November you must pay to reserve a seat if you want to check in more than four days before you fly...
Read the full story:
'Ryanair cuts free check-in window to just four days'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
Get Martin's Money Tips
Join the MSE Forum

Comments

• zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Which means you pay if you want to check-in before you leave for your holiday for your return flight, or check-in whislt your holiday and find somewhere to print it, pray your phone is not stolen in the last 4 days
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • Ryanair cuts free check-in window to just four days

Why am I not surprised by such a misleading statement on MSE? :(

Online check in is free whenever you do it. It's just you can do it earlier if you want to pre-book seats.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Interesting - I've just booked a return coming back on 5th Nov and it clearly states in the booking confirmation that I can check in free 7 days before. So hopefully applies to check-in's after 1st Nov not flights after 1st Nov.
  • zagfles
    Why am I not surprised by such a misleading statement on MSE? :(

Online check in is free whenever you do it. It's just you can do it earlier if you want to pre-book seats.
    Why am I not surprised by such pedantry on MSE forums ;) Online check in isn't really "free" at 30 days if you are forced to purchase something in order to be able to do it.
  • zagfles wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised by such pedantry on MSE forums ;) Online check in isn't really "free" at 30 days if you are forced to purchase something in order to be able to do it.

Of course it is. It's up to the individual whether they wish to pre-book a seat. If you do you get early check in as part of that service. There is no force involved. It's called choice, and long may it last.
  • zagfles
    Of course it is. It's up to the individual whether they wish to pre-book a seat. If you do you get early check in as part of that service. There is no force involved. It's called choice, and long may it last.
    Yawn.......
  • cowboy
    cowboy Posts: 310 Forumite
    Does anyone know if I can get a full refund (including all fees) for cancelling my flight because of this? I spoke to the live chat and they said the customer service will get back to me in 7-10 days.. I'm currently abroad and can't phone them up.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    cowboy wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I can get a full refund (including all fees) for cancelling my flight because of this? I spoke to the live chat and they said the customer service will get back to me in 7-10 days.. I'm currently abroad and can't phone them up.
    I asked the same and got the same response.

The flights have come down in price about £80 per person since booking, so I'm very keen on getting a refund and booking again now!
  • cowboy
    cowboy Posts: 310 Forumite
    glider3560 wrote: »
    I asked the same and got the same response.

The flights have come down in price about £80 per person since booking, so I'm very keen on getting a refund and booking again now!

Yeah, very cheeky of them cos we can only ask for refund/cancel within 5 days of the change in checkin policy notification (i.e. before 18th of October).

If anyone can phone them up to ask about the refund, please could you let us know here?
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    cowboy wrote: »
    Yeah, very cheeky of them cos we can only ask for refund/cancel within 5 days of the change in checkin policy notification (i.e. before 18th of October).

If anyone can phone them up to ask about the refund, please could you let us know here?
    I also asked them which condition in their terms and conditions allowed them to modify the conditions with five days notice. They couldn't tell me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure