Smart meters in the tory manifesto!!

Options
13»

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2017 at 1:42PM
    Options
    Did you not understand the post ? BG were aware of the removal of the gas meter in seconds, it was a smart meter..Thanks for the juvenile "future proof " comment..Its on the Landis and Gyr website..do you disagree with them, if so why ?..what is funny about it.?.You made a complaint about me to the mods lately and I have to be friendly to you.. Its hard to be friendly to someone like you. I m not saying you are a wum because you may run to the mods crying again .
    I `m giving the forum insider info which would be difficult for people to gather from outsiders..The fact that BG knew instantly that a smart gas meter was removed is an important reason why smart gas meters should be quickly installed to every house asap and maybe that people should be a little less vitriolic about smart meters .Enough houses have blown up over the years taking half of next door with them to make this a health and safety standard issue.
    I have seen so many gas meters with worn down unions which proves the occupier are substituting and actually found one emitting gas at a tremendous rate very close to blowing up and probably saving the life of a young engineer upstairs fitting a bathroom suite who just thought that the intense smell was from the several cats ..
  • FOREVER21
    FOREVER21 Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Energy Saving Champion I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 June 2017 at 8:27PM
    Options
    The fitting of smart meters has never been mandatory. For those who sing the praises of smart meter convince me why I should have one.

I give regular meter readings online each month and have never had an estimated bill for years, this must take 2 minutes max

I regularly change suppliers so my smart meter would quickly become dumb.

I am well aware that if I tun on my electric fire or turn on my immersion heater I will use more electric and I don't need a gadget to tell me this.

I never have had nor do I have any plans to illegally replace my gas meter.

My moto if it ain't broken don't fix it has stood me in good stead over the years.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,508 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FOREVER21 wrote: »
    The fitting of smart meters has never been mandatory. For those who sing the praises of smart meter convince me why I should have one.

I give regular meter readings online each month and have never had an estimated bill for years, this must take 2 minutes max

I am well aware that if I tun on my electric fire or turn on my immersion heater I will use more electric and I don't need a gadget to tell me this.

My moto if it ain't broken don't fix it has stood me in good stead over the years.

Me also- and I trust my own spreadsheets:)
  • House_Martin
    Options
    FOREVER21 wrote: »

I hope you did` nt think I was implying that anyone on here is a gas fiddler ! but is your neighbour ?..Gas meter substituting in my experience is mostly in the poorer areas..Not always though.The biggest fiddler I` ve ever been involved with was a large detached house with a tennis court and two new Mercs...was caught in the act of removing a link instead of the gas meter. .No prosecutions of course even though it stretched back to 2004., he repaid £6k, probably nowhere near what he had fiddled. He switched from BG to Utility Warehouse and again is refusing access to meter readers.Utility Warehouse will not do anything about it and he will of course refuse a smart gas meter.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you not understand the post ? BG were aware of the removal of the gas meter in seconds, it was a smart meter..Thanks for the juvenile "future proof " comment..Its on the Landis and Gyr website..do you disagree with them, if so why ?..what is funny about it.?.You made a complaint about me to the mods lately and I have to be friendly to you.. Its hard to be friendly to someone like you. I m not saying you are a wum because you may run to the mods crying again .
    I `m giving the forum insider info which would be difficult for people to gather from outsiders..The fact that BG knew instantly that a smart gas meter was removed is an important reason why smart gas meters should be quickly installed to every house asap and maybe that people should be a little less vitriolic about smart meters .Enough houses have blown up over the years taking half of next door with them to make this a health and safety standard issue.
    I have seen so many gas meters with worn down unions which proves the occupier are substituting and actually found one emitting gas at a tremendous rate very close to blowing up and probably saving the life of a young engineer upstairs fitting a bathroom suite who just thought that the intense smell was from the several cats ..

I did understand the post HM - but am sceptical about BG becoming aware of the removal within 'seconds' and even more sceptical that smart meters will stop energy theft. For obvious reasons we cannot discuss the technical specification and operation of the anti-tamper features of smart meters, but as I've posted before, it is only a matter of time and trial and error before people who are inclined towards this kind of activity work out ways of circumventing tamper protection.

And if the tamper protection is 100% secure, then they will just look for alternative methods - some of which pose far greater risk to the health and safety of everyone. As I've explained before, if someone is determined to steal energy then it is better to let them do it in the safest way possible, rather than drive them to ever more dangerous practices through improving the security of one part of the chain but neglecting to improve the rest.

My ROTFL was because 'future proof' is one of those meaningless marketing phrases like 'lifetime guarantee' and 'kills all known germs'. The future is unpredictable and unknowable. How can you design an item of electronic equipment which also relies on communications technology and then say it will always function in the future? It is impossible. You can only design to the current situation and things which are reasonably forseeable. The only 'future proof' energy meter is an analogue one.

As for reporting to the 'mods', the only posts I've reported on the site related to the offer for sale of counterfeit documents, and what looked likely to be the unlawful sale of currency. None of those posts were under your username. The government's approach to smart meters may be a 'con', but even I wouldn't go so far as to report the promotion of smart meters on this site as unlawful activity. I understand the 'mods' would not inform someone subject to a complaint of who the complaint was made by - so why you think I've made a complaint about you is a mystery to me.

Finally, your anecdote about the 'young engineer' proves only one thing - that the word 'engineer' in that anecdote is entirely misapplied.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • House_Martin
    edited 14 June 2017 at 1:26PM
    Options
    OK Eachpenny I will accept that you did nt "run to the mods " even tho it was probably deserved, as it was my over the top reply to one of your posts which the mods highlighted..Yes its an anecdotal account from my Brother in Law who is a meter reader with my company..( I ve never known him to lie or bs about anything ) whos account I believe 100% that BG rang the customer whilst the gasman was there taking meter off to solder a pipe for new gas point fitting to enquire why the meter had been removed The account needs to be verified because it needs to be publicised.....I don t see why its so unbelievable tho as it would nt take too many employees tied up watching for various alarms which automatically come through with error codes built into smart gas meters..I know its early days with todays tragedy in London , but switching gas meters has led to many explosions/fires in houses over the years..Gas had been installed in those flats lately I believe
    I certainly don t agree about it being safer to let them nick it than to engineer meters to make life hard for them to pack it in because the risk is greater. Its only because there is zero risk that so many do it.They are getting cheekier and braver too with me finding switched meters/reversed meters in outside boxes in front gardens in residential areas.. It was always being done in the central areas in the rental sections in inner towns and cities but now we are finding it in more affluent areas.
    Since BG installed smart credit meters in electricity I have nt found any bypassed or suspicious ones in over 8 years since BG started installing them..They are now being used in prepayment meter mode and I expect that plenty more will be found eventually.. My colleague who has now left , worked for the Revenue Protection side for BG and Scottish Power on electricity (BG do the gas side ) and only reported 1 smart electric messed up with a dodgy link installed which the supplier knew about..My record is 8 bypasses in one week in the central terrace area of my town.BG started to give us a tenner each reward on electric meter fiddles only recently.They have always paid us £10 for domestic gas and £50 gas for a business gas fiddle.
    I havent said its "unlawful " to object to smart meters on here, each to his own, but I would say it should be unlawful for Ebay to flog new and used gas meters as they have been doing for donkeys years.They even have been allowing the "fake " gas meter government anti tamper seals for sale for many years..£10 each ! please specify colour !
    finally, the "engineer " was an apprentice plumber fitting the bathroom suite..Occupiers had obviously done a quick change on the gas meter that morning and not tightened unions up properly because I was due or because of the plumbers visit..The address was * Senior Rd Hexthorpe..No prosecutions, just a repay and that young lads life was minutes from either ending or getting badly injured..I rate that episode the highlight of my meter reading career..I could hear the gas hissing out inside deep in the corner of the pantry !
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...I know its early days with todays tragedy in London , but switching gas meters has led to many explosions/fires in houses over the years..Gas had been installed in those flats lately I believe

Given that people are still risking their lives in this tragedy I wouldn't want to speculate on the cause, let alone implicate energy theft. People who understand fire engineering will have seen the TV pictures and have a good idea what has happened, but will be keeping their views to themselves. That is what I'm doing anyway.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport