Bt engineer charge

Options
So a few months ago i upgraded my BT internet to infinity, they had a deal same price as i was paying for alot more speed, bargain! Check, yes you can get infinity at your property. Paid for a new hub, had my orginal broadband for a few days, day of upgrade arrived, sat online (not even sure it had upgraded) and suddenly no internet! Phoned BT, there is someone at the exchange so give it a few hours, which i did, no joy, phoned bt again, did all the checks, master socket ect, you need an engineer, is that going to cost me? No. Okay, when? A few days. And its not going to cost me? No it isnt, okay np scheduled for a few days later, meanwhile no internet. So phonecall from said engineer a few days later, he'll be with me soon, great! Comes in does his checks with his giant phone, leaves goes to the box up the road, rings and asks if its working, yes it is, horray. So he comes back and explains that the previous person who unplugged my original broadband hadnt plugged it back in again, or something like that. He then said oh you have an old box in the house i'll change it, i had one socket and a filter, and he changed it to a double socket, again no mention of a fee. So get an email from BT today, your bill is ready to view, which i dont always bother looking as i dont make many calls and if i do i wait for cheap rate, but i checked today, to find i am going to be billed for a £129 engineer call out fee for broadband improvements :mad::mad: Obviously ive already been on the phone having a rant, they are 'Looking into it' well they better keep 'Looking into it' until i have it taken off my bill! Their engineer complaints department are going to have a look, and will let me know the outcome in a few days, talk about giving the choice to the accused!! I can see that im not the only person who has had these charges added unjustly! If BT think im rolling over and accepting this, they have picked on the wrong !!!!!!

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    if you say "uplugged the broadband" do you mean uplugged the adsl splitter ??

then the fault is yours as it was past the last BT point and the charge is genuine

there is nothing you as a customer can do to "unplug the broadband" apart from remove the adsl splitter
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    I think OP means they'd been disconnected at the cab, in which case no charge should be applied. Can you clarify please OP?

You didn't request the other work, so you shouldn't be paying for it.
  • luaive
    luaive Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I realise that some people are that daft, but thankfully my one brain cell, made sure i checked that it wasnt a fault within the house before contacting BT. I changed the filter coming out of the box (the one the phone goes into), restarted the hub a few times, unplugged the hub, plugged it back in, tried the old hub (which i knew was working) nowt. There was NO fault in the house, internet was working 100% until the day of upgrade and only went down when some numpty unplugged me (at the exchange? The BT box on the side of the road) and didnt plug me back in correctly! I dont see why i should pay for their lack of training! I did all the other checks with the BT lady before she said i needed an engineer, test socket etc. They are meant to phone tomorrow, the lady said, if you havent heard back by next week then give us a call, love, if i havent heard back by the time i finish work tomorrow your having a call!!
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I had similar trouble when BT - my broadband stopped working, but the phone worked fine. I argued no end about the charge. Eventually after doing extra tests, they found the problem in the network and sent an engineer out. He made the repair then visited my house to test the line - as nobody was in when he called he left a card. When I called to arrange a good time, they started again about the charge. I was now without a phone line too!

I cancelled the service within contract and moved to Virgin. I made a complaint to their CEO and eventually got a refund back to the point the fault started.

Will never go with BT whilst they're like this!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure