Old premium bonds - checking winnings?

Got some old ones. Talking 45 years old....

Probably never ever been checked. Is there anyway to check them at all - for anything ever?

Only about £20 but surely something would have been won?
Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,671
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    paulfoel wrote: »

I think the odds will probably be against it.
    Has your address changed in that time ? As long as you've kept NS&I up to date then you would have been notified of any winnings at the time.

You can write to NS&I to get a history of any prizes you;ve won - from their website;
    you can write to us asking for your prize history (remember to include your name, address and NS&I number or Premium Bonds holder’s number). We’ll send you a list of the prizes you’ve won.

Post your letter to:
    NS&I
    Glasgow
    G58 1SB
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 October 2017 at 9:09AM
    See https://www.nsandi.com/what-information-do-i-need-check-if-i-have-won-prize

A win is unlikely.

(The MSE Premium Bond calculator shows that if the interest rates and prize allocations had always been as they are now you would stand less than 4% chance of winning something in 5 years.)

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds
  • chiang_mai
    chiang_mai Posts: 156
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I wrote to NS&I last year to try and trace a premium bond my grandmother gave me when I was seven years old, it was valued at 10 shillings! The certificate got lost in a series of moves and despite providing all my previous addresses, NS&I said they had no record of me. No big deal of course and it was done for interest value in a bored moment more than anything else but I'm slightly aggrieved NS&I has kept my gran's 10 bob, it's just not on.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,400
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    chiang_mai wrote: »
    I wrote to NS&I last year to try and trace a premium bond my grandmother gave me when I was seven years old, it was valued at 10 shillings! The certificate got lost in a series of moves and despite providing all my previous addresses, NS&I said they had no record of me. No big deal of course and it was done for interest value in a bored moment more than anything else but I'm slightly aggrieved NS&I has kept my gran's 10 bob, it's just not on.
    As Premium Bonds have always been valued at £1 since day one, perhaps the certificate you had from your grandmother was for a different product?
  • chiang_mai
    chiang_mai Posts: 156
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    "As Premium Bonds have always been valued at £1 since day one, perhaps the certificate you had from your grandmother was for a different product?".

That's very interesting, I never knew that (obviously), I wonder what the heck it was that she gave me, no wonder NS& I had never heard of me! :)
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    A savings certificate? I am sure you could get these for less than a pound. You could get them from the post office?

This was a long time ago!
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    greenglide wrote: »
    A savings certificate? I am sure you could get these for less than a pound. You could get them from the post office?

This was a long time ago!

I think that if that were the case it would be more than 45 years ago. I had National Savings Certificates back then and I don't recall certificates for less than a pound.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,400
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    alanq wrote: »
    I think that if that were the case it would be more than 45 years ago. I had National Savings Certificates back then and I don't recall certificates for less than a pound.
    The fact that the valuation was apparently in shillings already puts it at over 46 years ago!
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    In 1943 "one unit" was 15 shillings so still not down to ten bob.

http://www.pixnet.co.uk/Oldham-hrg/members/peter-cannon/medley/pages/nat-cert.html
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    paulfoel wrote: »
    I've got 21 Premium Bonds bought at various times over 46 years ago,
    only one has ever won, and that was nearly 60 years ago.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family