low wages for hairdressers! is it legal

13»

Comments

• loopy_lass
    loopy_lass Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    i also understand that by offering a junior training & the employer claims the fees for this back from government, they are exempt from the national minimum wage!!! apparently when my daughter becomes a junior she will get £80 per week, end of!!! apparently apprenticies aint covered by NMW!!! great!

loops
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN... :A
  • she needs to stick it out on the rubbish pay and go day release rather than going full time.
    i work in a further education college and get my hair done regularly in our training salon.

there is a real difference between hairdressers who are trained here 1 day a week and full time students. and that's in no way a reflection on poor teaching here, as we have a good reputation.

all the local salons are loath to take on students who have complete the 2 year full time course as they basically have to re-train them all over again. nothing beats on the job training through day release. i appreciate that money matters sometimes prevent that though.
  • loopy_lass
    loopy_lass Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    i agree raspberry T ... i was trained for 2 yrs at college and was way way way behind the day release girls. I felt i knew next to nothin when i went to my first salon, i didnt know the "short cuts" as it were, you know when your putting foils of colour in and you ask how do you wear your hair.. its not because we are particularly interested its so we know if you dont wear it up we can get away with puttin fewer foils in the back because u will never see ut. AND if you wear it up all the time, we neednt put much at the back in the middle!!!! naughty eh!

loops
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN... :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure