disposal of Plaster Board??

Options
We're having our bathroom re done inside our property. The plumbers/joiners put the plaster board in the skip we had for the rubble.
The skip company removed all plaster board explaining they can't take it.

What is the correct way to get rid of plaster board? Some mentioned I may have to register our car with out property to take it to the local recycling center is this true ??

Regards
Paul

Comments

• phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You wont need to register your car to go to the tip/recycling centre but it will be messy.

I have gotten rid of it before in my normal brown bin. Bag it up and get rid of 2 or 3 bags each week.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some councils require permits for inert waste. Mine does. It gets allocated by address and we're allowed to dispose of 10 bin bags of inert waste a year. Anything above 10 bags gets charged at £1.50 per bag.

Plasterboard is Gypsum based and when disposed of incorrectly can cause environmental issues. The correct way to dispose of plasterboard is to keep it separate from other waste. Your local skip will have somethign for gypsum based products. Charges/permits will be on a council by council basis.

The skip people did what theyre supposed to do by refusing the waste. Your builder/plumbers should probably know better.

Im not sure what goes in your brown bin but im guessing its not just for plasterboard. As such you shouldnt be disposing of it that way.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    I'm surprised they said they couldn't take it.

Plasterboard cannot be mixed with other waste - it has to be disposed of separately as it can't go to landfill. That doesn't mean it cannot be stored in a small skip of its own or bagged separately. Many waste and skip hire companies will collect plasterboard as long as its kept separate.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A Hippobag, medium size (about £110), will take your plasterboard if you have a reasonable amount,but not enough to warrant a dedicated skip. However, nothing else can go in with it.

Smaller amounts I've taken to the local recycling centre and paid the charge levied: theoretically £3.50 a sack.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hampshire recycling centres now charge a tenner per sheet for disposal. :s
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    phil24_7 wrote: »
    You wont need to register your car to go to the tip/recycling centre but it will be messy.

I have gotten rid of it before in my normal brown bin. Bag it up and get rid of 2 or 3 bags each week.

You certainly have to display a sticker at my local Council tip to prove you are a resident. It has a reference number on it and is registered to the resident's address.
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fair enough. Things seem to be a little more relaxed down here, you only need a recent utility bill from what I can remember!
  • Wassa123
    Wassa123 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    Our council just implemented a waste permit scheme this month. Apparently the councils had a row about residents dumping waste in other councils tips so now it's all permit based.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Plasterboard cannot be mixed with other waste - it has to be disposed of separately as it can't go to landfill.

Not strictly true - Plasterboard can go to landfill, but it should not be mixed with organic waste. Instead, it should go to a dedicated site that has separate containment cells for this type of waste.

British Gypsum will recycle clean plasterboard waste that is typically generated by builders/installers. But to make it worthwhile for them, you need to be generating a substantial amount.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Essex County Council are introducing new rules to reduce the amount of DIY waste going into the recycling centre.

Apparrently, things like doors, rubble, plasterboard and old baths/basins/toilets are classed as building waste and they are not suppossed to take it as they are only covered to dispose of household waste.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure