Please help me get rid of cold callers(i need a sticker) :(

Comments

• As for the researchers.....research that would help my local area, etc, I wouldn't mind doing, but they always seem to call in the evening. Yes i know most people are home in the evening therefore increasing the researchers chances of getting a taker, but they always seem to get me in the middle of my tea or when i'm just running a bath!! Perhaps if more of them asked politely if they could make an appointment to return with a questionnaire, people would be more accomodating.

The early evening work isn't so much to get more "hits" - we could get no end of them with the retired population or those who aren't working. It's really to ensure the survey work is representative of the community in which you live, with the right balance of men & women, working and not working etc. You can walk down a street at 3pm and get hardly any non-retired women at all - they're all off collecting the kids from school or still at work. Between lunchtime and 5/6pm you're lucky to get any working men - they too are still at work.

That's why much of the work is done in the early evenings. And it's difficult too nowadays to predict who is having their dinner and who isn't. Why ? Greater flexibility with working patterns. And, funnily enough, the microwave oven - whereas dinner took an hour from start to finish 20 years ago, for many people nowadays it's just a case of slapping something in the microwave and 5 minutes later it's "ping". TV is a huge influence too in how people plan their early evenings. Half the country seems to put the dinner on after Neighbours has finished on BBC1 ;)

Appointments aren't that effective to be honest. Whilst many people are receptive when you initially speak to them, many change their minds when they re-consider in your absence - and that's their right. No-one is ever forced to help & everyone has their own priorities in their free time.

But some contributors here will be encouraged by the many Councils who are now introducing by-laws which simply ban cold calling altogether. Perhaps that's a good thing. And it's the researchers who need to change the way they work. Who knows ?
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Stick up a sign saying

'To cold callers I am thinking of two words, 3 'F's, two vowels, two consonants .. if you can solve it you have your answer .. if you can't then you are too stupid to talk to me so 'Fcuk off'

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • What about looking through the window and then shouting "wait a minute" and after four of five minutes shout "Just a sec" and after another four of five minutes shout "commmmmmmming". Finally shout from one of the windows "I cant find the front door keys, could you come back in five minutes".

Repeat until death.
  • dondo
    dondo Posts: 526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We seemed to have been plagued by them in recent weeks

One of the double glazing companies even used "reducing your carbon footprint" as an opening gambit and a woman from NPower assuming that I would automatically sign up to them and was quite surprised and defensive when I told her I was more than happy with my present supplier

My neighbours have one of those stickers so will need to ask where they got it from

• That's why much of the work is done in the early evenings. And it's difficult too nowadays to predict who is having their dinner and who isn't. Why ? Greater flexibility with working patterns. And, funnily enough, the microwave oven - whereas dinner took an hour from start to finish 20 years ago, for many people nowadays it's just a case of slapping something in the microwave and 5 minutes later it's "ping". TV is a huge influence too in how people plan their early evenings. Half the country seems to put the dinner on after Neighbours has finished on BBC1 ;)

quote]

Are you suggesting that I watch neighbours???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Good luck with your research :)
  • Zinger549
    Zinger549 Posts: 1,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    If you ask them to leave you some information this soemtimes gets rid of them. My mum often says i'm not going to sign anything but if you leave me some informatiom i'll have a look. They then usually say that they cant leave information. My mum just says no thanks then.
    Come on you Irons
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Tell them your not interested, could you not email the company they are working on behalf of and tell them your not interested in any DG
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Tell them your a Jahova Witness, and how lucky they are to have called you as fate would have it, you were just about to start your annual meeting, and invite them in for a chat and a refreshing cup of Earl Grey. Reminding them that monetary dealings are the root of all evil.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • Tell them you love them. Tell them that you have some KY jelly warmed and ready.

Lick your lips and invite them in.
  • viddy
    viddy Posts: 45 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    they are cheap to buy from ebay, i just bought one after a double glazing slaesman called just after I had a call from BT 3rd time this year trying to sell their phone. I was in a fit of rage but just said sorry not intrested and slammed the door as he kept talking. Hopefully that should stop once I put the sticker up. Also registered with TPS so the sales call should stop too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure