Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Comments

• Over62
    Over62 Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The Nationwide RS going down to £250 is a bit of a blow. Was looking to open one of those in the near future.

Yes, the OH's existing Nationwide RS matures in 3 weeks and we were expecting to open a new one on the same terms.
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The worst of it was that Nationwide at one time had a monthly saver which you could add £1000 to a month, no restrictions, no maturity date -excellent for the longer term "what if" savings.

Then Nationwide decided to do some streamlining last year and the monthly saver went and we were left with the £500 a month flexclusives.
    And now its down to £250 a month for new accounts ...

I also had a Cheshire building society monthly saver - my very first foray into saving and it even came with a passbook and again I was with them for years.
    Then Cheshire was absorbed by Nationwide but they let us keep the monthly saver going and it became manageable online on the Nationwide banking app. You could put up to £500 a month in and it was opened ended, no expiry date.
    Also you could have both a £1000 Nationwide monthly saver and the old Cheshire £500 regular saver.

This ex-Cheshire was also withdrawn in the same month as the up to £1000 monthly saver was withdrawn.

Most of my savings used to be with the Nationwide, I really didn't need to go much further - bonds, ISAs and monthly savers and that covered everything.
    A year long bond and the 4 year ISA both mature this September and their contents will both go to feed various regular savers in other banks and building societies.
    Next January it will be down to £250 a month in nationwide.
    savings.
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Over62 wrote: »
    Yes, the OH's existing Nationwide RS matures in 3 weeks and we were expecting to open a new one on the same terms.

Would have been nice if you could have, but it has already lasted longer than most Nationwide savings offers.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Comes to something when we are all excited by the prospect of a product that earns us £2.50 per mth (ish) :(

Savings rates need to rise!
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    Comes to something when we are all excited by the prospect of a product that earns us £2.50 per mth (ish) :(

Makes me wonder if its worth my time administering it. And whether is costs banks more money to administer it than they make. Perhaps we'd all just be better off not doing anything!
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • TheGardener
    ...but Kent Reliance have now got a regular saver at £500 pm at 3% - woo hooo...(hint of sarcasm...)
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

Those with a mortgage and other big debts would be deliriously happy if their rates went up. Not.
  • TheGardener
    edited 14 July 2017 at 7:13PM
    colsten wrote: »
    Those with a mortgage and other big debts would be deliriously happy if their rates went up. Not.

Indeed. You can't please all of the people all of time. My first ever mortgage was 8% and I though that was a great rate at the time...
    But this is the savings and investments board - they can moan about mortgage rates on the House buying and selling board :)
  • Indeed. You can't please all of the people all of time. My first ever mortgage was 8% and I though that was a great rate at the time...
    But this is the savings and investments board - they can moan about mortgage rates on the House buying and selling board :)

My first ever mortgage was 15.4%. I thought I was lucky (to have got a mortgage at all). But I decided that I must pay it off asap.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,105 Forumite
    ...but Kent Reliance have now got a regular saver at £500 pm at 3% - woo hooo...(hint of sarcasm...)

I'll see if I can pop to my 'local' branch to open one!
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure