How do self investors decide on asset/fund allocation?

Comments

• bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    TBC15 wrote: »
    Is there an idiots guide/worked through example to these rules based on say £1,000,000 pot and £40,000 draw down.

Have a look here for a start

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Safe_withdrawal_rates
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 July 2017 at 5:28AM
    TBC15 wrote: »
    Is there an idiots guide/worked through example to these rules based on say £1,000,000 pot and £40,000 draw down.
    I link to some examples of calculating safe withdrawal rates here. There's discussion of how to use the Guton-Klinger rules here.

The boggleheads page is OK on the history but it's about five years behind the research, enough to make a substantial difference. Boggleheads refers to fans of the buy and hold philosophy of Jack Bogle, founder of the Vanguard fund management firm best known for its tracker funds. I don't know whether that's the reason that the more recent research, which varies the investment mixture over time to reduce risk and increase the safe withdrawal rate, is missing from their page. I'd say that most of it is old enough now to be obsolete, it doesn't even get as far as Guyton-Klinger, just Guyton's original take that he improved on with Klinger a few years later.
  • bostonerimus
    jamesd wrote: »
    I link to some examples of calculating safe withdrawal rates here. There's discussion of how to use the Guton-Klinger rules here.

The boggleheads page is OK on the history but it's about five years behind the research, enough to make a substantial difference. Boggleheads refers to fans of the buy and hold philosophy of Jack Bogle, founder of the Vanguard fund management firm best known for its tracker funds. I don't know whether that's the reason that the more recent research, which varies the investment mixture over time to reduce risk and increase the safe withdrawal rate, is missing from their page. I'd say that most of it is old enough now to be obsolete, it doesn't even get as far as Guyton-Klinger, just Guyton's original take that he improved on with Klinger a few years later.

The Bogleheads page is a good starting point.......and probably more than most people need. There are regular research papers about withdrawal methods and asset mixes and it's fun to look at the nuances. For more detail a search on the forums at bogleheads.org and early-retirement.org will provide lots of information.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • jamesd
    It's a decent starting point but the approaches which vary spending and investment mixture produce substantially higher initial and average safe withdrawal rates and the only one there is that old Guyton version. Nothing wrong with it that some updating can't fix.
  • Itsallagame
    Itsallagame Posts: 46 Forumite
    With markets so high and value in equities difficult to find I am tending to let FTSE100 run up to highs and then taking positions in ETFs that short the market. It has been working out well whilst I hunt around for value in individual equities.

I've also used ETFs to buy and short oil and the same for GBP/USD.
  • With markets so high and value in equities difficult to find I am tending to let FTSE100 run up to highs and then taking positions in ETFs that short the market. It has been working out well whilst I hunt around for value in individual equities.

I've also used ETFs to buy and short oil and the same for GBP/USD.

I wish I knew what that meant. Lol.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    binning wrote: »
    I wish I knew what that meant. Lol.

It's derivatives, so betting that the market, or oil, will fall in price.

Also cable, which is the dollar, pound exchange rate.

A bit spicy for most.
  • bostonerimus
    Shorting is betting that something will lose value. You might have a contract with someone to borrow some shares they own and then give them back plus a fee at some time in the future. If you think those shares will lose value you sell them now and buy them back at a lower price before you have to give the shares back and you pocket the difference.

This really is gambling and you don't want to be doing it.
  • jamesd
    Shorting can be speculation but that's not all it's for. It can also be used to protect you from stock market falls, say by buying a short option that pays out if the market drops by more than twenty percent over the next three months. That can be used to protect you against big drops.

I've done things like placing a short spread bet to reduce downside risk.

You can also use shorts as part of a plan to obtain leverage. You could pace a long spread bet on the FTSE and a three month in the future short bet that it won't be more than twenty percent lower on that future date. That constrains the downside risk but you do still need to be able to cover drops above twenty percent until the specified date. Then you can invest the money you don't need for this somewhere else, like in P2P.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    I believe some funds can include taking short / long positions on stocks in their strategies. If its done with currencies its hedging.

Not something I would want to try as a private investor though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure