PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter

Comments

• cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm preparing for winter by knitting a lovely squared blanket to put over my tootsies this winter. Don't like winter that much since we realised we can't afford to whack the CH on all the time but this blanket is making me feel all cosy thinking about the wintery months ahead.
    Oh and buying LOTS of candles. That's one thing about winter I love, candlelit evenings. :T
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Well I am hoping for a good winter with no fibro flare ups, so as long as I get organised now, if I do flare up, OH doesn't have to panic.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Winter's already here isn't it? It's definitely looked like it for a few days where I am. I'm sitting here snuggled up in my woolly jumper, and so far we haven't taken the warm duvet off the bed this year.
  • shell2001
    shell2001 Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    I am starting to worry about drying the washing. I wondered if putting up one of those pull out lines in the garage and leaving the door open would work? Our new home doesnt have the hide away place I used to pop the clothes airer.
  • jamanda
    jamanda Posts: 968 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    1. Had both chimneys swept
    2. Bought new grate for one of them
    3. Ongoing - nagging OH to put last thermal blind up in kitchen
    4. Am freezing garden produce/making jam
    5. Found toasting fork by accident the other day
    6. Went round sales for summer clothes - bought jumpers instead
    7. Waiting to see what everyone else is doing to jog my memory (please)

Oh - and on countdown to chestnutting in October.

I love this time of year with harvesting and snuggling and preparing. I think I should have been a squirrel.

J
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    jamanda wrote: »
    I love this time of year with harvesting and snuggling and preparing. I think I should have been a squirrel.

J
    :wave: Fellow squirrel
  • Have already....

Stocked up on medicines (syrups, lemsips, painkillers etc)
    Free Low watt bulbs from council
    Candles-mum gave them to me
    Bought a few bags of broth mix and lentils (for stews/soups)
    Bought a radiator cover which OH still has to make up
    Bought a few jumpers reduced to £1 in TKMaxx
    Bought Thermal underwear to 50p
    Bought loads of designer socks from TKMaxx for 30p a pack
    Bought scarf and gloves sets reduced

Must do....

Get the chimney swept
    Few more tinned items

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • redsquirrel80
    redsquirrel80 Posts: 12,457 Forumite
    thriftlady wrote: »
    :wave: Fellow squirrel

:hello: :rotfl:

I'm so jealous of those of you with real fires and things to make jam (and flavoured vodka) out of! Not a great deal to do living in a little studio flat, which is thankfully very warm and has all the electricity and gas included in the rent! However, I will (at some point) be...

- preserving any excess chillis and peppers that I've grown
    - freezing some homegrown herbs
    - getting boots re-heeled instead of buying new ones
    - getting winter jumpers out and mending any holes, giving too small ones to charity shops, and buying any new ones needed from charity shops or eBay
    - stocking up on soup ingredients and buying a flask so I can take some to work

I do like the snuggly cosy aspect of winter, not so keen on the darkness and short days :rolleyes:

Can we please have a bit more summer first though...please.... :p
    Debt@16.12.09 £10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
  • kethry
    kethry Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    at the moment i'm thinking more in terms of preserving food than anything else. Partly for us, partly for christmas presents. I've got parents and grandmothers to cater for, which isn't a great deal, i know, and all love preserves of one kind or another, so that's what i'm doing this year - hampers/baskets with different kinds of preserves/pickles. Jams for mum, cos she has a sweet tooth, pickled onions, port, some good cheeses, maybe some potted meat for dad. that kind of thing.

along with that, i'm also making some preserves/pickles for us. not only jams (made Damson yesterday, making golden plum this afternoon, and dark red plum with cinnamon tomorrow) but pickles of various kinds - from pickled onions/beetroot to piccalilly (or however its spelled) and various other mixed veg pickles - atjar tjampoer, for example.

then there's the christmas food - cake, pud, mincemeat. My parents live a fair bit south of us, so don't tend to visit often, and mom still works, and as i don't, and am time rich, i tend to make all that kind of stuff for them (which they love). I want to get theirs done in the next month or so because they'll be visiting towards the end of september and won't be visiting again till after christmas, probably. oh well. at least they'll be well matured!

Other than that: its mostly a case of getting the duvet out to put underneath the sheets to make the bed warmer, i want to make some lining for the bedroom curtains, some better lining curtains for the living room, i've got draught excluders from last year, and i'll be participating in the whole "keep the heating off as long as possible" thing again this year! (funny though, no one seems to have a competition for turning the heating OFF again asap..!)

the only other thing is trying to think in advance for what to do over the winter for prepping the garden next year. what seeds to get, where to make new beds, that kind of thing. (and i'm still undecided as to whether to risk leaving the greenhouse out in the open all winter - its one of those large wilkos flimsy walk in jobbies).

Like others on this thread, i love this time of year. I'm all squirrelly!

keth
    xx
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Other than that: its mostly a case of getting the duvet out to put underneath the sheets to make the bed warmer,
    i thought i was the only one who did that.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income