PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is your heating ON or OFF?

Comments

• shegar
    shegar Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Well whatever sort of heating you have you will need it this week, its been quite cold here today and ive had the heating on...........went down the beach it was lovely and fresh it blew my cobwebs away..!!!:eek:
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    shegar wrote: »
    Well whatever sort of heating you have you will need it this week, its been quite cold here today and ive had the heating on...........went down the beach it was lovely and fresh it blew my cobwebs away..!!!:eek:

Not as cold as it has been or will be again later in the week! Quite a good day to have turned off on where I live.

Weirldy though it was certainly mild enough for me to have turned heating off inside,and give the house another good airing, my washing had frozen on the line :mad:
  • Well,I last had the heating on a week ago.
    I've put it on for a few hours.
    It's been bitterly cold here today and is set to be even colder tomorrow.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Well,I last had the heating on a week ago.
    I've put it on for a few hours.
    It's been bitterly cold here today and is set to be even colder tomorrow.

I think it might be colder here tomorrow too, though there is quite a bit of cloud cover, so maybe not as bad as I fear. I have a big survey starting on my property tomorrow, and so will put the heating on for the people in the house, and those taking respite from outside occasionally, but I expect there to be lots of door opening and window opening and the heat will swoop out!
  • Oh, and another thing: the condensation is back in my house. Having spent time airing this is particularly annoying. I haven't dried any washing in the house (its out side on an airer and on the line) and the heating has been on low AND the woodburner going on should have helped too, surely?

I can find no pattern to my condensation. I'm airing upstairs and the dining room now,and will have a swap around of open/closed windows in a bit.

Yes,it must be very annoying.

Maybe you need to air more often?

Have you thought about getting a dehumidifier?

I have a very usual gadget that shows room temp and humidity.I've been told that having a humidity level above 60% is too high.If that occurs,I open the windows for 5-10 minutes.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Yes,it must be very annoying.

Maybe you need to air more often?

Have you thought about getting a dehumidifier?

I have a very usual gadget that shows room temp and humidity.I've been told that having a humidity level above 60% is too high.If that occurs,I open the windows for 5-10 minutes.

I think it MIGHT be the weather and humidity outside that's impacting on the interior....thinking about the days we were dry and it was cold it was very crisp outside, today has been wamrer but dank.

I routinely air...i.e.daily unless just too darn cold to or the wind is blowing rain in the wrong direction! e.g.this morning the upstairs and dining room windows were open from six am til mid morning,kitchen and study were open this afternoon.

I think we have something to test humidity too.. we did when we lived somewhere else.

I'd rather avoid a dehumidifier while I can air, because of the electricity use. But checking the weather the humidity now is 93% so maybe opening the windows is just getting fresh air in and not drying things up.
  • I think it MIGHT be the weather and humidity outside that's impacting on the interior....thinking about the days we were dry and it was cold it was very crisp outside, today has been wamrer but dank.

I routinely air...i.e.daily unless just too darn cold to or the wind is blowing rain in the wrong direction! e.g.this morning the upstairs and dining room windows were open from six am til mid morning,kitchen and study were open this afternoon.

I think we have something to test humidity too.. we did when we lived somewhere else.

I'd rather avoid a dehumidifier while I can air, because of the electricity use. But checking the weather the humidity now is 93% so maybe opening the windows is just getting fresh air in and not drying things up.

I have something similar to this:

www.lakeland.co.uk/F/keyword/dehumidifier

They don't cost a lot and take up little space.Once you've bought the device,you just need to get refills.Mine lasts 4-6 weeks.I also had thought about getting a dehumidifier,that is until I saw the price.:eek:

They have been most useful in my flat (I'd had mould in one room) and in the cellar.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I have something similar to this:

www.lakeland.co.uk/F/keyword/dehumidifier

They don't cost a lot and take up little space.Once you've bought the device,you just need to get refills.Mine lasts 4-6 weeks.I also had thought about getting a dehumidifier,that is until I saw the price.:eek:

They have been most useful in my flat (I'd had mould in one room) and in the cellar.

:D:D:DWe are familiar with these! Actually I have something similar out now in the hall way...where is coldest and most prone to condensation, but its obviously a duff one as its not collecting anything,so these are probably the solution here.

Luckily, despite the moisture we haven't had much mould. I did see evidence of it when we looked round and moved in, but cleaned really throroughly and very little has fought back. ;) Just around two windows that really, really need replacing. I air those rooms most, throroughly clean that woodwork once a week as if it were mouldy even though I can't usually see any, and so far thats working. Hopefully next winter we'll have made some headway with the house: those windows both have to be replaced soonish.
  • shegar
    shegar Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Wow its freezing outside right now, Ive been out done the hens etc, but its now turned cold......the sun is in and out, should be -3 tonight so its back to cold weather again , after having 2 warmer days over the weekend.....im off to beach soon so id better get rugged up for a fresh brisk walk.......:eek:
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    shegar wrote: »
    Wow its freezing outside right now, Ive been out done the hens etc, but its now turned cold......the sun is in and out, should be -3 tonight so its back to cold weather again , after having 2 warmer days over the weekend.....im off to beach soon so id better get rugged up for a fresh brisk walk.......:eek:

You can certainly feel it coming where I am too, though its not yet here. Very, very thin film of ice in the troughs, nothing in the feed rooms.

I'm stuck inside to day and pacing back and forward...I want to walk more than the dogs do I think!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback