Start a 'cottage industry'... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

Options

Comments

• Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Love this thread, only wish I didn't keep losing my posts when trying to respond :(
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    I've sort of just started this, in the new year I took a seed beading course and have had a great time making bracelets and ear-rings, I've started to build up a collection that I'm going to list on ebay.
    I also wanted to have ago at making pinic/gardening/camping mats out of olld carrier bags which I'm to list.

It would be good to hear what others are doing/going to try.

I'm Starting a cottage industry too :)
    My (and a few others) 2007 money challenge was, or still is, to live off £4,000 for a full year and use everything else to pay off debts and start saving. This doesn't include rent or council tax, of course. Using every MSE piece of advice I could, I have managed quite well - see signature for progress. Not only did I pay off all outstanding debts, my income is now up by £25 a month from tax free interest alone :)

I have a new challenge for 2008; I guess you could call it a cottage industry with a difference LOL I'm going to attempt to make money from nothing! I'd like to make an extra £3,000 to fill an ISA and anything above this, I'll check MSE to find out the best place to save it or invest it.

My first order of 'nothing' has already arrived so I can start preparing for my new entrepreneurial enterprise. It's a load of off-cuts from a wood yard that would, otherwise, have been burned. All sizes, thick and thin, some fairly large at almost half a metre long! I've thought of allsorts to do with these! I've asked friends & family to save me any old packaging materials so I'm prepared when the sales start flooding in.

I also have a pile of old books that could have ended up as pulp in the landfill! They're for charity fundraising from a local secondhand book shop, but every penny helps, even if I have to be a little inventive to shift heavy old Readers Digest volumes.

Can anyone remember the days of unwinding jumpers to make pom-poms with those card circles? Or chopping up old jewellery to redisign your own? Collecting buttons and beads from friends and neighbours, offcuts of material and broken toys in the hope you collected enough of the same to make a complete item? Those were the days! Oh! Oh! Oh! I've just thought of something I can do with my freebie offcuts of card from the framer!
    Back soon but please let me know what you think of my wacky ideas, plus add your own. I love reading about 'alternative' methods of earning. I'd like to know more about what to do with old carrier bags and milk cartons as I already have enough plastic petfood scoops to last me a lifetime :D

• thinkrich_2
    Options
    Well done! what an inspiration - I really admire you for being able to manage on £4000 a year - can you give tips on how you did it ?:p
  • Frugaldom
    Options
    thinkrich wrote: »
    Well done! what an inspiration - I really admire you for being able to manage on £4000 a year - can you give tips on how you did it ?:p

I, and several others, documented everything. First tip is to write out your cashsheet or budget (you can download them free) reflecting every regular expenditure you have, from electricity to grandparents' birthdays and anniversaries. I have been following money saving challenges for some years now, so I already knew what week to week living was costing. Once you know what you've spent in the past it is so much easier to see where you can make savings. I will say, though, it is really difficult! And, I still have the rest of the year to go LOL I've also been receiving the MSE newsletters for some time but never joined these forums until I was completely debt free.

• fairynuff27
    Options
    Some great ideas on here. I sell handmade fairies and angels at craft fairs and over the internet through some other forums I frequent. This time of year is always busy as the angel orders start flooding in!

I find the camraderie between crafters really inspirational - where in other industries there may be a tendency to keep things from one another in the spirit of eliminating the competition, crafters are very supportive of one another and truly wish the best. It may be because something handcrafted is so difficult to recreate - I know each of my fairies is utterly unique - or it may just be that we're such nice people! :p

I thought people on here may be interested in this competition link - it's a handcrafted gift site who are looking for new stock, really, but via a competition. I'll be trying my luck!

Good luck to all who enter! :D:D

http://www.pressies4princesses.co.uk/content/hand-making-heroes.shtml

:j :j :j DEBT-FREE JULY 2015! :j :j :j
  • rosieandjim_4
    Options
    Hi guys I'm gonna do this, I am working on a temp job untils xmas, and gonna use some of the extra cash to buy jewellery making bits, and card making bits from ebay and build up a good stock, done earrings and cards before so no what to do. Also I am gonna make jams and fudge and some cakes and sell all these at carboot(gosh, I'm gonna be busy). Can anyone tell me the right sort of price to sell cards at, they will be costing about 35p to make including the bags they go in, also does any one have any nice fudge recipes. This is a great thread. Thankyou.:A
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    My cards cost 20p - 25p to make, I sell them for £1.00 each to shops (sale or return), if I sell them myself then I charge £1.50.

I haven't sold at school fetes yet, I think they'd have to be quite cheap to sell there, I was thinking 70p - 80p :confused:
    Bulletproof
  • fairynuff27
    Options
    I think it depends on the sort of school Tru. I've sold fairies at various school fetes. Needless to say the independent girls schools made me a fortune, but I've also done well in some pretty poor areas without lowering prices too far. I tend to thinks any stall is luck of the draw anyway - my best ever stall was at an outdoor halloween "witches bazaar" and firework display - the last place I would have expected fairies to be top sellers! The stall cost a quarter of the big christmas market stall I did the next weekend and sold next to nothing at!
    :j :j :j DEBT-FREE JULY 2015! :j :j :j
  • Tabby_Kitten_2
    Options
    jenny121 wrote: »
    To Tabby_ kitten, for the past couple of weeks i too ahve been interested in making bracelets and pendants. I am not a professional by no means. I love the seed beads. You mentioned you did a course , can i ask where and how much it cost to do a seed bead course.

Sorry Jenny, I haven't been back on here much since the site crashed.

The course I did was free, I think it was a 10 week course one morning a week. I meant to go on to do part two but that wasn't a free one and I just couldn't afford the £70 for the next part at the time.

I've not really managed to find much info about it ousite of the course, you could try a search for books and they are a couple of Yahoo groups but there pretty much dead.

I'm more than happy to help in any way I can though.
    A Life Less Simple - one day I'll get there
  • Tabby_Kitten_2
    Options
    nykmedia wrote: »
    I'm Starting a cottage industry too :)
    My (and a few others) 2007 money challenge was, or still is, to live off £4,000 for a full year and use everything else to pay off debts and start saving. This doesn't include rent or council tax, of course. Using every MSE piece of advice I could, I have managed quite well - see signature for progress. Not only did I pay off all outstanding debts, my income is now up by £25 a month from tax free interest alone :)

I have a new challenge for 2008; I guess you could call it a cottage industry with a difference LOL I'm going to attempt to make money from nothing! I'd like to make an extra £3,000 to fill an ISA and anything above this, I'll check MSE to find out the best place to save it or invest it.

My first order of 'nothing' has already arrived so I can start preparing for my new entrepreneurial enterprise. It's a load of off-cuts from a wood yard that would, otherwise, have been burned. All sizes, thick and thin, some fairly large at almost half a metre long! I've thought of allsorts to do with these! I've asked friends & family to save me any old packaging materials so I'm prepared when the sales start flooding in.

I also have a pile of old books that could have ended up as pulp in the landfill! They're for charity fundraising from a local secondhand book shop, but every penny helps, even if I have to be a little inventive to shift heavy old Readers Digest volumes.

Can anyone remember the days of unwinding jumpers to make pom-poms with those card circles? Or chopping up old jewellery to redisign your own? Collecting buttons and beads from friends and neighbours, offcuts of material and broken toys in the hope you collected enough of the same to make a complete item? Those were the days! Oh! Oh! Oh! I've just thought of something I can do with my freebie offcuts of card from the framer!
    Back soon but please let me know what you think of my wacky ideas, plus add your own. I love reading about 'alternative' methods of earning. I'd like to know more about what to do with old carrier bags and milk cartons as I already have enough plastic petfood scoops to last me a lifetime :D

That sounds like a great challenge, my challenge for next year is to produce as much food for myself as possible.

I've sort of got a head start on this as I already keep goats and have just started keeping quail again. I still live at 'home' with my parents (I'm still only a tender 21) on the family 'smallholding', which is really just a big back garden and a few rented/borrowed fields so there are loads of other aniamls around as well has mine including sheep, chickens and ducks, donkey's and ponies/horse and a herd of cows.

Me and my dad are veggie but the rest of my family aren't.

One of the cows, Primrose (my grandmother named her) who isn't mine but I do sort of think of her as part mine as I was the one to teacher to bottle feed when her mum sadly die, is due to calf for the first time in Feb and I'm really looking forward to handmilking her and I've just taken on an un-used field (the owner does know) to grow so extra veg.

I know it's not really 'cottage industry' but I'm really looking forward to it. I was hoping to start a blog with details of it and how I'm getting on but am having problems with Microsort where I signed up for one of their free websites and now they've got the domain I wanted :mad:
    A Life Less Simple - one day I'll get there
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport