Kids in flats

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    debrag wrote: »
    Most people will just say they are 'just being kids' but they can go outside and do that I'm glad I'm not directly below them. It's a very small 2 bed flat and no kids above 5 live in the blocks so I can only hope that they move out some time soon.

It's more likely that in a few years time you'll have several primary aged children in the block.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I think a lot of the blame lies with poor soundproofing - it seems wrong that having a kid would force you to pay a fortune to live in a house if you can only afford a flat - most urban areas have even terraced houses costing several hundred thousand.

I like they way they do things in berlin where apartment living is pretty much standard for everyone as houses are very rare apart from the outskirts. I noticed they have plenty of kindergarten amongst the high rise apartment blocks so kids can easily walk to school.

The UK is pretty badly set up for kids as the norm seems to be to buy one of those soul destroying barratt/wimpey estate hell holes to raise a kid and transport it to school each day in a 4x4
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 12 May 2017 at 8:47AM
    I don't think its anything to do with accomodation size but all to do with parenting.

As a parent if you have children and cannot give them outside space to let of steam then you take them to the park, beach, woods, activity centres to enjoy some fresh air and tire them out.

If you don't, can't, won't take your kids out then you show some respect to your neighbours and teach awareness to your kids and keep the noise down.

Simples
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Judi wrote: »
    In an ideal world, kids shouldnt live in flats. They need space.

so thinking it through, in an ideal world adults in flats should not breed children....?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    boliston wrote: »
    The UK is pretty badly set up for kids as the norm seems to be to buy one of those soul destroying barratt/wimpey estate hell holes to raise a kid and transport it to school each day in a 4x4

We built high rise apartment blocks in the UK as well and many of them have been knocked down, thank God, because they were horrible and nobody wanted to live in them. The crucial difference between the UK and Berlin is that Berlin was under a Communist government for over 40 years, and you lived where you were told.

We could easily have the kind of giant apartment block complexes they do in Berlin, but we would need to a) badly lose a World War and have large swathes of our cities blown to bits by advancing Soviet and American forces, so that afterwards we could rebuild them in a more modernist style, and b) have 40 years of Communist government.

The paranoia suffered by British parents about kids walking to school is an unrelated issue.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Judi wrote: »
    In an ideal world, kids shouldnt live in flats. They need space.

I was expecting to open this thread & read an opening post along those lines. I feel sad when kids are living in flats. I think the councils should build more houses & move families to houses.
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I was brought up in a large Edwardian mansion block of flats which are still a common feature of London. They were incredibly well built and you couldn't hear noise from one flat to another, unlike the flimsy buildings you see today, where you can hear people sneeze next door. I'm sure most parents would LOVE to have houses with gardens but they're getting a bit thin on the ground unless you've got the odd million to spare.
    Developers should try building more cheap(ish) basic houses but they're still building three bed roomed flats, so who are they for except families?
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Not much fun living under Airport flight path either where the engine noise starts up at 5 am and goes on until 11 pm!

You will all have lease agreements with restrictive covenants and some of them will almost certainly centre around noise levels and not disturbing the neighbours. If rules are being broken , complain in writing to your landlord or managing agents.
  • mgdavid wrote: »
    so thinking it through, in an ideal world adults in flats should not breed children....?
    Nope. I think that is not thinking at all.

As noted most other countries and many in our country see adults without kids and families with kids living in blocks of flats without issue. Singapore deliberately mixes up who lives side by side this to promote social cohesion- it seems to work.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We lived in a flat until my child was 9. Couldn't afford otherwise. It wasn't a problem for us or the neighbours because I like to think I am considerate and brought my child up to be the same. We spent plenty of time in the park / visiting national trust places and attending swim training 4 times a week as well as dancing classes, so never bored stuck indoors.
    I really cant stand rude or inconsiderate kids. Neither can I stand adults who play loud music / bang doors or shout. There are plenty of noisy kids / adults everywhere. People need to be more considerate in all respects!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure