PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, that was well worth making! The curry I just made from raw meat and a jar was better than the cheap ready meals I'd usually buy - and the meat fell apart - and I could have as much as I liked (HUGE pile of rice!). I actually cooked two portions of rice... so ended up with both on my plate.

More for later/tomorrow etc etc.... I don't intend to freeze it if at all possible.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,224 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 May 2017 at 3:13PM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    I used to live down the road from "Terry's" chocolate factory in York. You could smell the chocolate quite strongly depending on how the wind was blowing. They sold mis-shapes at the factory and I'm showing how long ago it was by saying they were 10p per 4oz. My favourite was the wonky chocolate oranges:). Near where I worked was Rowntree's their factory shop was amazing........
    Over-indulgence at both of these outlets is probably why I'm not a huge chocolate lover these days :o

I used to live near a Smith's crisp factory, always knew when there was frying going on. Later moved near a brewery and could always tell when brewing.

Never any samples or mis shapes though :(, but did wangle a freebie brewery tour, hic ! :beer:

Both have closed now

I did have cheese in the baked spud yesterday, it was lovely, made me realise yet again how some simple foods, like beans on toast for instance, if not eaten for a while can be very satisfying

Up early and saw sunrise, just seemed a waste to stay in my pit so up I [STRIKE]leapt[/STRIKE] creaked and was mooching around Waitrose & Asda before 0800

All to no avail, only YS was punnet of cherry toms which I bought, 25p, nothing much else, milk & loaf, actually had a 20p coupon off bread from Waitrose, because "they miss me". Offer was for any bread but I only bought the Essential wholemeal sliced, 40p to us lost Waitrose souls :j

Being early bird I used the L/O languishing & lonely bacon rasher in a late breakfast BLT sarnie when I got back home

Then gardening time, warm today, decided to get the HM fruit cage built and actually get to eat my cherries this year. The rain has made them swell up and starting to look tempting, so got in quickly before the birds have them

Lunch was welcome by then, cheese salad sandwich

Dinner not sure, two options, both easy bung in oven ones

Either fish cake & chips or veg lasagne, both bought "just in case" and in fridge, both within date so really comes down to probably use the fish cake today, 'cos two in the packet, then use the other one Sunday to try and avoid having a rinse & repeat day
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Livelongandprosper
    Options
    I live near a chicken processing factory, you really don't want to be downwind of that on certain days :(. Smells as bad as the chicken house behind me when they clear it out :(

Still the good thing about the chicken factory, they have a factory shop and the bargains I get are fantastic. My best buys were 4 chickens for £1 :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 May 2017 at 4:46PM
    Options
    Buying ready meals is so important for singlies ... to break that monotonous cycle of ALWAYS having to use multiple things up ... rarely being able to "choose" what you're eating as everything you've made in the past is still lurking/to be used up and everything you're about to make will generate more things to be used up.

There's something lovely about buying a simple "serves one" ready meal, knowing you can eat it and never have to have it ever again if you don't want to :)

You didn't make it to use something up; you weren't forced to eat it because things needed to be eaten .... and there'll be no leftovers tomorrow and nothing to go in the fridge or freezer. No 1½ portions or double portions to eat to get rid of things.

Slide the cardboard wrapper.
    Cook the dish.
    Eat it.
    All over and done with.
    Nothing to chill, nothing to rebox, nothing to freeze, nothing to mix with other ingredients for tomorrow/beyond.
    No need to check if you've got XYZ, or to use ABC from your cupboards to cook with it or serve with it. Nothing else to find. One packet, one meal, no worries.
    Luxury!
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon all,

I've had a change for breakfast today and had a sausage sandwich, with the obligatory brown sauce of course.

Then I met a friend in town and we had a mooch around and had our treat of coffee and cake, so when I got home I didn't fancy any lunch.

I have just finished an early dinner of beef that I cooked in the slow cooker yesterday with roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings and veg. If I need anything else to eat today I will just have some toast or a crumpet. I've also got some biscuits so I can always have a couple of them as well.

Tomorrow's dinner will be the rest of the beef with a salad and new potatoes to use it up. I will probably get another crumble out of the freezer for pudding as well as they are taking up quite a lot of freezer space.

PN that curry sounds like it is really nice.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Late on parade today as my internet service went down so I abandoned trying- seems it was an area thing and not just me.

Reading back I think I got the best deal living near the chocolate factory:):eek:

My son arrived about lunch time and promptly made me bacon and eggs before sorting out some of the garden things I can't manage. :D I did some laundry for him and definitely got the easier deal.

I'm CFO tonight but no idea what I fancy - maybe pizza as I've not had one in months or something with some of the massive head of broccoli lurking in the fridge (thankfully the boy is going to take some with him tomorrow as I doubt I'd get through it all and I'm not keen on it frozen!):)
  • caronc
    Options
    :T:TWow post 4000!!!
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    :T:TWow post 4000!!!

:bdaycake::bdaycake::bdaycake:
    :hello:
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've been experimenting all week with my new favourite ingredient VeganEgg.

Expensive (about 67p per 'egg') but oh so fabulous for recipes I've been missing using other stuff that just wasn't up to the job.

Most successful so far was a bread and butter pudding - it set really well and was lovely and bouncy and delicious... am tempted to make another one without waiting for the next bread glut.

Had a scramble this morning for brekkie and am considering an omelette for din dins... good job I bought it in bulk.
    :hello:
  • caronc
    Options
    I've been experimenting all week with my new favourite ingredient VeganEgg.

Expensive (about 67p per 'egg') but oh so fabulous for recipes I've been missing using other stuff that just wasn't up to the job.

Most successful so far was a bread and butter pudding - it set really well and was lovely and bouncy and delicious... am tempted to make another one without waiting for the next bread glut.

Had a scramble this morning for brekkie and am considering an omelette for din dins... good job I bought it in bulk.
    Not a product I've used but it seems to pop up quite a bit in vegan recipes.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure