Free bus and rail travel for the oldies from next April ??

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Hand in your licence if you have a licence, otherwise free anyway, and if you on pills, perhaps shouldn't be driving, have a look at 'side effects'. This product may cause dizziness nausea, vomitting is what I read.
    That's all pills, is it, Ken? That's very worrying, I must stop driving immediately as I just took a paracetamol. Tell me where you read 'vomitting', I'll have a word with the manufacturers.

Unfortunately, if getting a free bus pass were dependent on handing in your driving licence, the roads would be far more crowded than now, as everyone would keep their car and not use the bus.
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Hand in your licence if you have a licence, otherwise free anyway, and if you on pills, perhaps shouldn't be driving, have a look at 'side effects'. This product may cause dizziness nausea, vomitting is what I read.
    Anyway if you are committed not to give up cars, you won't need a bus pass.

No, I don't need a bus pass and I haven't got a bus pass. It seems to be widely assumed, though, that everyone in the same age-group must have a bus pass.

I am not on any pills that cause dizziness, nausea or vomiting! I wouldn't drive if I was. Nor do I ever drink and drive.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    I can't see the guvment spending all these millions on free bus passes, without having something up their sleeve.
    This freebie just pushes up travelling costs for the ordinary fare payer.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I suspect what is up the government's sleeves is everlasting thanks from hordes of grey voters:rotfl: plus a sneaky way of getting us used to some form of identity / entitlement card with inbuilt chip to monitor where you went & when
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • margaretclare
    I can't see the guvment spending all these millions on free bus passes, without having something up their sleeve.
    This freebie just pushes up travelling costs for the ordinary fare payer.

According to what councillors around here have been saying, the cost is likely to be pushed on to council-tax payers. See: http://www.echo-news.co.uk/search/display.var.1787448.0.bus_passes_timebomb_for_councils.php

and: http://www.echo-news.co.uk/search/display.var.1179691.0.council_being_taken_for_a_ride_by_passes.php

It appears that the gubbmint have not been spending 'all these millions'. Local councillors were handed this vote-catching idea and told to implement it, and as it says in the reports above, were not given the funds to do so.

Me, I can't see what was wrong with the previous situation - half-fare passes. That worked well, and half a bus fare is not that bad, is it?

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
  • Ken68
    A good topic, losgiant...don't know where the driving force is that got over 60's free buses, maybe the bus companies themselves, but it does fit nicely into green issues of the day.
    I can see the day when cars (and car adverts )have printing on them..."this car causes pollution and can kill" in ever increasing size, like on cigarette packets.
  • margaretclare
    All modern cars have to fulfil certain criteria as regards emissions, use of lead-free petrol etc.

I am quite prepared to be as green as possible in all other areas of life. I'm not polluting the atmosphere with cigarette-smoke as are all the outdoors smokers, and I don't support the use of patio heaters for pubs - these are just heating the atmosphere.

I have a feeling that it was more about vote-catching than about 'green issues'. The gubbmint has already shown itself unwilling to increase the basic state pension to a reasonable level, which many people would have preferred. If it was serious about 'green issues' then why did it force so many smokers outdoors, engendering the proliferation of patio heaters outside every pub?

Our car is just too darned convenient for us to give up willingly and no amount of free travel would cancel out the inconvenience and the tiredness of long-distance travel by bus, train, tube, train and bus.

Margaret
  • Ken68
    Us OAP's can't complain, free bus tickets, huge cheque for heating every year, cheap rail tickets, free TV licence when a bit older.
    We got it made, and if things get tight, Pension Credits, council tax benefits and gord knows what.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    IMHO it's horses for courses: I don't drive, thus I've always lived in the centre of cities or towns with good transport links. It wouldn't occur to me for instance to go and live in a village and then compain about it having only an occasional bus service. Equally I'm sure Margaret wouldn't want to live where I am, because it would cost her a fortune to park, IF she could get a resident's slot -which might be as far away as the bus stop.

I don't find bus and train travel tiring - but then I am on about 6 bus routes,so rarely have to wait more than a few minutes and the bus stop is just down the street.These days it's almost like having a personal free taxi service. :) The mainline station is 10 mins walk and has trains every half hour to London. I can do without the London tube, especially in the summer, but the buses are fine ( and will also be free:)).I also like walking and occasional taxis are relatively inexpensive for short local journeys.

So the system works for me and i'm very pleased it does, because transport has historically been one of the most expensive aspects of living in the UK, especially in London.It still is, if you have to pay the full fare or run a car.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • roy62
    roy62 Posts: 327 Forumite
    Why anyone would begrudge older people free travel is beyond me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure